Is Jon Jones a dirty fighter?

Its obvious to me Jones' eye pokes are deliberate, he knows the refs in MMA wont do a damn thing about it either.

Hell yeah he's dirty. He even sucker punched DC... Jones celebrated early and DC relaxed. So in return Jones sucker punches DC. That's dirtier than Suh stepping on Rogers last week for those of you who watch football.

And the eye poke..... so obviously dirty he doesn't even bother hiding it. Fingers horizontal every time. You never see him keep his fingers up palm facing forward.

eyepokes literally every one of his fights ? Now grabbing the cage and fingers in the gloves. Koscheck was universally labeled a dirty fighter for less.

I liked when Cormier tried to use the 'Talk to the hand' defense and Jones just leaned to the side and punched him in the gut.

He is dirty because he eye pokes consistently and effectively. I honestly can't remember the last fight I saw where he didn't eye poke. Yet, he doesn't need to do it, he would've beat Cormier comfortably without doing it; but I have no doubt that the eye pokes are intentional.

Not especially. Knee kicks are legal, using the hand to judge distance is legal, and his DQ loss was bullshit. I don't think he is actively going for eye pokes but I don't think he minds them either.

The front kicks that he throws. They are legal to the thigh, but his usually land directly on the knee cap. Is that an accident or is it on purpose?
The kicks are legitimate, and make all the sense in the world to use. He has long legs, it's low risk, and it deters movement (arguably better than a jab would). If people have a problem with this, they should have infinite problems with submissions, which mechanically bend limbs into positions they're not meant to.

When he is trying to create space from his opponent his fingers either go in his opponent's eyes or very close to them. Is it just an accident that it happens almost all of the time?
The guy has a long reach, and like many other guys who utilize their reach, he paws outward to either obscure their view, or keep the opponent at bay. MMA gloves + heat of the moment means it's probably not always in his head, especially when someone is trying to take his head off. Does this excuse extended fingers? Nope. And that's where the ref needs to do his job, which is to keep the other fighter "safe" by constantly watching and reminding Jon.

From what I've seen here and there over the years, actual dirty fighters usually don't have some obvious trait to explain their tactics, and strictly do it for the sake of doing so. They usually aren't the best fighters and need the advantage. Take away anything perceived as being "dirty" from Jon, and he still destroys most or all of the division.

There is something about kicking someone on the knee cap that is tantamount to kicking someone in the balls.
If it's proven to cause more harm than necessary, they will ban it, similar to small digit subs and other banned maneuvers. Until then, he's just well studied and fighting to win. Along the same lines, I don't think there is a good argument in existence, which says repeated head trauma is any better...but we're okay with KOs. In general, MMA is demonstrably not good for you. Wear and tear is part of the game.

Take away anything perceived as being "dirty" from Jon, and he still destroys most or all of the division.

That is one reason it is inexcusable. He reached that elite skill level, yet still resorts to dirty tactics (eye pokes) in every fight.

Because the referees do not take action (apparently, the athletic commissions do not want eye pokes to be punished), he gets away with it. It seems if he really cared about being the best, he would eliminate the eye poke even if it is his favorite "strike."

It's subjective. I consider it dirty. I think foot stomps are dirty too. But none of it is illegal.

Dirty? Debatable.

Illegal? No.

/thread

JBJ landing legal kicks = dirty fighter!!! yes.....

He's the Michael Jordan of not being called on shit by refs.

You could say he fights a little dirty, but so what? Obviously whatever he's doing is working.

Back