Is Jon Fitch Hall of Fame Material????

The sport is too young to really start thinking about guys who are getting mentioned based on numbers instead of quality of their wins, level of competition, what they've done for the sport in a positive. I just don't see this guy as the #3 behind GSP and Hughes when his overall body of work isn't anywhere near as impressive. Where are his wins against the top 5-10 guys? He's not mowing through the top 10 like they have/did, I think Carlos Condit is a better WW, I think Nick Diaz is a better WW.

No fights, at least not imo, that were highly memorable and no belt. So atm, no.

I think he goes in there for being one of the best Sub Defenders of all time. He is a perennial top 5 WW and had some pretty decent streaks. A loss to two of the divisions best is nothing to be ashamed of.

His two best fights imo are Against Silva and GSP.

One a loss (brutal beatdown) another a competitive win. That's why people will have a hard time saying he is HOF material imo.

Silva was not a competitive win, Fitch murdered him exactly like GSP murdered Fitch.

The sport is too young to really start thinking about guys who are getting mentioned based on numbers instead of quality of their wins, level of competition, what they've done for the sport in a positive. I just don't see this guy as the #3 behind GSP and Hughes when his overall body of work isn't anywhere near as impressive. Where are his wins against the top 5-10 guys? He's not mowing through the top 10 like they have/did, I think Carlos Condit is a better WW, I think Nick Diaz is a better WW.
1. The only top 10 WW Nick Diaz beat was BJ Penn a few years ago and Takanori Gomi back in Pride. All of the other guys he's beaten are either fringe UFC Facebook fighters or worse.
2. Jon Fitch has beaten all but 3 of the top 10 WW's he's faced (lost to GSP, got KO'd by Hendricks, tied Penn).

I've been a fan of Fitch for a while but I don't think so as of now. He is almost there IMO, lets see what he can do in the next few years.

Borderline, depends on how he finishes up his career. The growth of Erick Silva could plan a big part in the final tally as well as if GSP ever drops the belt/leaves the division and/or if Hendricks or him ever holds the belt. Right now I would say he's right outside the door looking in.

1. Win a belt in the UFC or other major ZUFFA-owned organization and defend it at least once.

2. Win a belt in the UFC or other major ZUFFA-owned organization in more than one weight class.

3. Hold some sort of impressive record in the UFC.

4. Hold a special place in the history of MMA or the development of the UFC.

5. Some combination of 1-4

Great fighter, but he hasn't done anything to deserve it really.

it's my opinion that your record shouldn't be the deciding factor when it comes to who is worthy to enter an mma hall of fame.

bj penn, as an example, has a relatively bad mma record for the praise he receives. randy couture is similar. still though, most people would deem both guys hall of fame-worthy. no one talks about jon fitch in those regards.

it's about the way you fight as much as it is about the quality of your record.

His KO loss was a pretty big setback.
But with that being said up until that point he was pretty much there.

Especially when you consider the WW div. was at a standstill for a while because once Fitch lost to GSP everyone from that point forward had to go through him, and obviously very few were/are able to.

It's hard to say with Fitch. He is a greatly skilled fighter that has been amongst the top of the UFC WW division for years, but is that enough?

He's kind of like the Jeremy Roenick of MMA. He's been putting in a hard effort for his entire career, but the accolades won doesn't really equate to some of the other people in the HOF for both

jon_fitch_500x325_ufc_display_image.png
(24-4-1, 1)

Jon Fitch

If Mask is qualified to make it, then Fitch certainly is. I sincerely doubt he will actually ever make it though.

Back