Is Jon Fitch Hall of Fame Material????

For a non title holder to get in the HOF, the criteria would have to be pretty strict. As a starting point, I would look at his top 5 wins. Are any of them going to the HOF? In Fitch's case, I would say that is unlikely.

I was actually thinking the same thing. He was no. 2 WW for a long time, depends on his next few performances.

The UFC HOF isn't exactly something that big or hard to get into and with Fitch's strong run in the 170 lb division, he should get in when he retires whether he wins a title or not.

He is definitely HOF worthy.

Losing to GSP and Hendricks isn't anything to be ashamed of
I think a lot of it depends on how good Hendricks becomes at the end of his career, and if Fitch would rematch him and beaet him. Obviously GSP is the definition of a UFC, MMA, or hell, anything mixed martial arts in terms of HOF; hell, he might even be a wrestling HOF'er! But Fitch is making himself quite a case, especially if those guys gave him his only two UFC losses, and his only losses in the last 11 years. Tying inevitable HOF'er BJ Penn doesn't hurt, either.

I think in Fitch's case, he is nearing that category. Wins over guys like Hendricks, Condit, Diaz, etc. would help; he's got a few top 5 wins, but having about 3 more would bolster his case by a lot. Still, considering how many multi-time champs Frank Shamrock, Pat Miletich, and (possibly retired) BJ Penn haven't gotten in yet, he would have to wait quite a while (after he retires) to get into the UFC HOF (because of those guys, plus all the active guys who were top 5 mainstays, huge for the UFC, and/or multi-time champions) if he indeed go in.

No.

Fitch hasn't beaten enough quality wrestlers, who'd test his shaky TDD.
Matt Hughes in his prime would have dumped Fitch on his back and outgrapple him. I'd even favor Koscheck and Maia to beat him.

Having said that, Fitch is great against fighters whose MO is sprawl and brawl as he eventually drags them to the ground despite good TDD

All in all, great fighter, but nowhere near HOF status

If Chael lost to Jones and retired, he wouldn't be close to the hall of fame. He would be 5-4 in the ufc with 1 finish and no belts.

Despite what he has accomplished in the cage, he's neither Canadian or good looking.

So no.

Actually, one should only consider what a fighter has accomplished in the cage.

Hence the "he has never won a championship" discussion here.

Are you still somehow trying to turn this into a GSP discussion? Why?

I think that the decision whether he gets into the UFC Hall of Fame depends more on whether he gets along with Dana or not. He has one of the most impressive records in any weight class, and probably set some records (or at least is #2 guy) for takedowns/top control/strikes landed, etc. It's just that he keeps talking crap in interviews, which pisses Dana off (just look at Frank Shamrock). I'm not saying that he should kiss anyone's behind or stop speaking his mind, just that he should understand what it means to be a company man and not upset his bosses.

Honestly, if Jon Fitch never loses to a WW not named GSP again, or doesn't lose to WW's not named GSP for about 2 or 3 years at a time, he should be at least considered for the UFC HOF IMO. This is especially true if he beats the likes of Hendricks (because I love rematches), Condit, Diaz, Kampmann, Ellenberger, MacDonald, etc in the prime.

@ BrainLeakage
That's a Ronda Rousey joke bro (about her comments on how GSP wouldn't be popular if he wasn't attractive and Canadian).

Last edited:
He's definitely a UFC all time great, with a very successful career in the toughest promotion in MMA. The lack of the belt and popularity from his fighting style will ultimately prevent him from being in the HoF. In my opinion he is and always has been a solid #3 in the WW division.

He has a solid record, 15 wins inside the UFC, the biggest downside though is he doesn't really have that impressive of victories and only a few are against top 10 guys. Think about it, what's his biggest win in terms of performance? His stoppage over Thiago Alves when neither guy was a contender? The same Alves who Spencer Fisher choked out. He was schooled by BJ Penn in their draw, and 90% of his wins in the UFC are by decisions that aren't really exciting fights. He hasn't finished a fight in 6 years, what happened to the guy who rattled off finishes in 4 of his first 5 fights in the UFC? Based on wins I could see him getting into the Hall of Fame one day, but he's not even in a realistic discussion.

He needs big wins, beating Erick Silva and LnP borefests will not do the job.

Skill-wise, I think so. I believe that if he were to retire today, he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. However, I dont think the UFC would put him in there because many people believe him to be boring. I guess being an exciting fighter is something to be considered when talking about being in the hall of fame, but I think being the long time number 2 WW in the world and losing only twice in the past 10 years should make him a strong candidate...

What do you guys think?

RIP Smokin Joe Frazier (I am watching a highlight of him and felt like putting that there lol)

Also, who has a better chance at being in the HOF, Chael Sonnen or Jon Fitch. If Chael was to lose to JJ and retire?

I don't think you have to win a belt to be in the HOF. There are plenty of team sports guys who never do. It would be hard to find someone who was HOF worthy that didn't have a belt though. I could see someone who had a long career, fought for belt and lost but had an impressive record, great fights, make it. I don't see Fitch anywhere near that level. I'd put Florian and Faber ahead of him for non UFC champs.

if someone doesnt win a championship i dont think they should be in any hall of fame

^^^ Royce Gracie, and Ken Shamrock never won championships (although they did win tournaments and/or Super Fights). Also, Dana White has said Dan Henderson is a all-but-guaranteed UFC HOF'er, despite no UFC belt (he had 2 Pride belts, though).

Also, considering that Dana White has said he sees Forrest Griffin as a future UFC HOF'er (with one close decision win for a belt), it doesn't look exactly hard to get in. Granted, that fight with Bonnar (by Forrest) help make the UFC explode in popularity, but when compared to Jon Fitch's resume, I'd say Jon Fitch's resume is more impressive.

Back