Is Jake Ellenberger the worst stylistic match-up for GSP at the moment.

He is like everyone else...not good enough to beat GSP

Guys who lose to Story aren't bad matchups for GSP, both Ellenberger and Hendricks fall into that category.

Rory has a granite chin, GSP doesn't. Something important when fighting guys who hit like tanks shot out of a cannon.

GSP would pick him apart on the feet or take him down at will.

GSP can put any of the WW division on their backs. That changes your fight plan when facing someone like that going into it. You cannot be as loose with your striking for fear of the takedown and that is an advantage he will always have. Guys always have to fight his fight and until someone can come in an impose their game plan he will keep winning. That's why I believe wrestling to be the best base for MMA.

Ellenberger lacks the gas tank, and probably will headhunt instead of trying to take advantage of how open GSP is for bodyshots usually.

Nope.

GSP loves punking wrestlers. Plus Jake has cardio issues. gsp has an easy night 9 times out of 10

Other than Nick he is.

i don't even see how anyone could think this. GSP smashes diaz for 25 straight minutes. he beats him standing, he crushes him on the ground. I think its funny how diaz beats a string of lower level fighters, runs his mouth after a loss, and people actually buy into him being an actual threat to GSP.

diaz is slow, awkward, has no explosiveness, minimal power, and his BJJ only looks sick against cans. those are the facts.

Other than Nick he is.

Was hoping this was a joke, then saw ur name. Diaz will get wrecked by gsp. He coukmt even beat a running away condit, just wait til he's up against a gsp who out strikes the strikers and out grapplers the grapplers.

PS - this is coming from a Diaz fan and a gsp 'hater'.

Other than Nick he is.

i don't even see how anyone could think this. GSP smashes diaz for 25 straight minutes. he beats him standing, he crushes him on the ground. I think its funny how diaz beats a string of lower level fighters, runs his mouth after a loss, and people actually buy into him being an actual threat to GSP.

diaz is slow, awkward, has no explosiveness, minimal power, and his BJJ only looks sick against cans. those are the facts.

Hey same post! Although I don't think u noticed the guys name...

no Hendricks is a more skilled, harder punching, better wrestling version of Ellenberger.

you do realize koscheck beat hendricks standing right? no offense to kampmann i like the guy but he's pretty damn hitable

Yes, I believe so.

Let's face it to beat GSP you need really good TDD and above-average striking. Jake has excellent TDD (93%) compared to Hendricks (63%) and Diaz (64%). Also, he's a lot more diverse of a striker than Johny or Diaz is. He knocked out Shields with some vicious knees, and he staggered Condit with a head kick.

After watching his last fight, Jake seems to have improved his cardio as well. He went 3 full rounds with a very underrated Hieron and didn't show any signs of fatigue throughout the fight.

Except for the gas tank part you just described Johny Hendricks

Oh believe me, there isn't a whole lot that separates the two I agree with you there. I guess Hendricks has a better wrestling pedigree, but I don't think GSP would have any trouble solving Hendricks. He is practically a mirror image, sothpaw version of Josh Koscheck.

Remember something folks, Condit caught GSP with a kick that came out of no where. Condit has the element of unpredictability. That is something that neither Hendricks, Ellenberger, or even Diaz have going for them. Guys like Hendricks, Ellenberger, who are much like Koscheck, GSP has no problem at all keeping at far enough range for their knock out power to be relatively useless. Condit was a more dangerous striker to GSP than any of these guys based on the element of unpredictability alone.

Wont matter when Hendricks knocks his block off too.
kind of agree with this.
if Ellenberger got KO or loose to Hendrick, he will be the gate keeper of WW kind of sad.
look at Kongo, almost 20 UFC fight and he has never has a title fight at HW lol.

if Martin Kampmann can TKO Ellenberger, Hendrick will KO him even worst.

Keep in mind, Ellenberger is 27. Lots of time to improve.

Still believe this folks

jake-ellenberger-knockout-nate-marquardt-ufc-158.jpg

Back