Is Jake Ellenberger the worst stylistic match-up for GSP at the moment.

Not for a second. Predictability is the worst thing you can bring to the table against GSP. Jake's striking is not good at all. He has good power but the guy is an over glorified Phil Baroni with his actual skills. He's also horrible off his back and has a sub par gas tank. He's an extremely easy finish for GSP.

Except for the gas tank part you just described Johny Hendricks

Sure but when you get to the absolute best MMA fighters in the world, that doesn't necessarily apply.

KO power + elite TDD doesn't do shit to Anderson Silva. Would Hector Lombard tool Anderson? How did Hendo do?

Likewise, Rashad has KO power + elite TDD and he could barely get anything off versus Jon Jones. Vitor was far closer to exploiting a Jon Jones weakness of overaggressive top control with his armbar attempt. BJJ ain't in the generic equation either... GSP isn't getting tapped while on top. He's filled that hole better than Jones has.

Those two skills play perfectly into GSP's area of greatest weakness. It's not a big hole but if a guy like Koscheck had elite MMA boxing & power to go with his TDD, he would've been a handful for Georges. Instead, Georges just picked him apart on the feet while avoiding Kos spamming his right hand.

Jake could be that guy, at least early on in the fight...

I see your point, however I remember Hendo doing pretty good up until he got submitted and Hendo although being an accomplished wrestler and being an olympic alternate, his MMA takedown defence isn't very good.

Leaning toward Hendricks on this one. If you want takedown defense check out hendricks vs kos. Jake is good but c'mon Hendricks is coming off back to back knockouts. I see a GSP VS Serra 1 should Hendricks win

Hendricks is, that's why GSP doesn't want to fight him.

I'm not using MMA math, just stating Hendricks current accomplishments far exceed Ellenbergers.

Never said Hendricks would beat him. I actually think it's close to a toss up fight.

I must have interpreted you intention. This is definitely a competitive match.

Ellenberger, Pierce, Kos, and Hendricks are all basically the same guy: a stout wrestler, with powerful hands, and somewhat laughable striking technique.

None of them can beat GSP without a lot of luck.....

I think Hendricks is the most dangerous. No one is going to beat GSP in a decision, and I GSP's top game make submitting him a long shot. The only way I see someone beating GSP is by (T)KO, and Hendricks' power makes him dangerous to anyone. I hope he gets the next shot, that's a fight I want to see.

I see your point, however I remember Hendo doing pretty good up until he got submitted and Hendo although being an accomplished wrestler and being an olympic alternate, his MMA takedown defence isn't very good.

I originally typed (and whether or not Hendo's TDD is truly elite is moot since Anderson would never be looking to exploit Hendo with wrestling). Whether you have the best or worst TDD is almost irrelevant versus Anderson since that's not a tactic he frequently looks to exploit. When was the last time he took a guy down? Maybe Marquardt?

In fact, Mousasi has some of the most porous TDD, yet many people feel that he has one of the best chances to beat Anderson with his hands.

So KO power + TDD is not the recipe for success versus Anderson. But it is for GSP. JMO

no Hendricks is a more skilled, harder punching, better wrestling version of Ellenberger.

I actually think GSP would school both of these guys. I think Hendricks/Ellenburger is the funnest fight to be made at welter right now.

No, GSP would soundly ud him, hendricks is a bigger threat but I still think GSP beats them both.

Guys who lose to Story aren't bad matchups for GSP, both Ellenberger and Hendricks fall into that category.

The problem with Ellenberger is if he don't knock you out, he has no other plan.

Ellenberger, Pierce, Kos, and Hendricks are all basically the same guy: a stout wrestler, with powerful hands, and somewhat laughable striking technique.

None of them can beat GSP without a lot of luck.....

Ellenbergers striking technique actually isn't bad. A lot of people uneducated on the subject think so because he throws a lot of hooks. Due to his height and reach though, lots of hooks is the most effective and technical way for him to strike.

He's got good movement though, good body shots, very good left hook, good overhand, good timing, good distance. He can strike moving backwards. He's definitely one of the most technical strikers in the WW division.

The rest I can agree with though.

Back