Is Jake Ellenberger the worst stylistic match-up for GSP at the moment.

No. Hendricks might beat GSP the way he beat Fitch and Kampmann (which I doubt). GSP vs Demian Maia would be an interesting match up.

I still believe Condit is the toughest challenge for GSP. Ellenberger gases in the first round and is finished in the second or third. Hendricks gets wrestlefuck to a UD. At least Condit was able to threaten off his back and had the explosiveness to hurt GSP standing.

I dunno. He's the much better technical striker. Dunno about in wrestling, power, or cardio though.

Hendricks has beat Kos, Fitch, Pierce and Kampmann. Berger just lost to Kampmann. So that kind of speaks for itself.

Rick Story has wins over Hendricks, Ellenberger, and Alves, but lost to Brenneman...

We can't use MMATH to determine fights this close. Jake basically shut off Kampmann's lights in the first round. Kampmann woke up after hitting the ground and fence, imo, and pulled off a great come back.

This fight will be awesome.

There's TDD against Jay Hieron and then there's TDD against GSP. Ellenberger is a threat standing but I think GSP would take him down and Ellenberger would gas. By the 4th or 5th it might look like GSP-BJ Penn II

GSP's kryptonite = knockout power + legendary TDD.

Jake Ellenberger has that in spades. The guy went airborne like Mary Poppins when Heiron tried to take him down and still landed on his feet sans an umbrella.

Hendricks has not shown anywhere near the same level of TDD in MMA as Ellenberger. Many people felt that Bigg Rigg lost the fight with Koscheck for the TD he gave up in the third round. Georges could do that to Johny all day.

Both guys need to be standing long enough to land their power on Georges' chin. Jake should be able to keep the fight there in the early going when his power is still high whereas Johny will likely be on his back with his power depleted by the time round two starts.

Neither of them have a great shot at dethroning GSP but I give Jake the better chance by early KO.

this game is so hard to play.

diaz would get put on his back seconds into the fight and would stay there for 5 rounds if he didn't quit on the stool earlier.

a boxer who struggles against elite wrestlers. GSP's kryptonite :rolleyes:

Nick will make GSP tap to strikes or sub him with an armbar.

Ellenberger isn't the person I would compare to Hendricks. Hendricks is a carbon copy of Kos, except that Hendricks is a southpaw and Kos has better BJJ.

This is most fighter's kryptonite, please see Chuck Liddel

Sure but when you get to the absolute best MMA fighters in the world, that doesn't necessarily apply.

KO power + elite TDD doesn't do shit to Anderson Silva. Would Hector Lombard tool Anderson? How did Hendo do?

Likewise, Rashad has KO power + elite TDD and he could barely get anything off versus Jon Jones. Vitor was far closer to exploiting a Jon Jones weakness of overaggressive top control with his armbar attempt. BJJ ain't in the generic equation either... GSP isn't getting tapped while on top. He's filled that hole better than Jones has.

Those two skills play perfectly into GSP's area of greatest weakness. It's not a big hole but if a guy like Koscheck had elite MMA boxing & power to go with his TDD, he would've been a handful for Georges. Instead, Georges just picked him apart on the feet while avoiding Kos spamming his right hand.

Jake could be that guy, at least early on in the fight...

gsp is getting older, only a matter of time before someone catches him

no one mentioned Rory yet? guys a savage. he poses more problems to GSP than anyone at welterweight I think.

Hendrix is great, cant help but think he will get overwhelmed by Georges speed and athleticism, he does have that KO power to make him dangerous tho.

Other than Condit there isnt anyone at 170 that would give GSP any real issues, ignoring Diaz in this list is intentional.

Not for a second. Predictability is the worst thing you can bring to the table against GSP. Jake's striking is not good at all. He has good power but the guy is an over glorified Phil Baroni with his actual skills. He's also horrible off his back and has a sub par gas tank. He's an extremely easy finish for GSP.

No. Not after the way he got drubbed by Kampmann. Or nearly finished by Diaz. He may be better now, but not good enough to beat GSP

Rick Story has wins over Hendricks, Ellenberger, and Alves, but lost to Brenneman...

We can't use MMATH to determine fights this close. Jake basically shut off Kampmann's lights in the first round. Kampmann woke up after hitting the ground and fence, imo, and pulled off a great come back.

This fight will be awesome.

I'm not using MMA math, just stating Hendricks current accomplishments far exceed Ellenbergers.

Never said Hendricks would beat him. I actually think it's close to a toss up fight.

Back