Is Jake Ellenberger The Welterweight Michael Bisping?

Shields was elite. I feel that Ellenberger has beaten better fighters than Bisping but that might just be a feeling. The Shields win was way better than Bisping's Brian Stann win (the only two top 10 wins I know of between the two unless Marquardt was top 10) and the Marquardt win is pretty good. Ellenberger could beat Lawler though given that the fight will be on the feet and Ellenberger has fight ending power. That would but his record better above Bisping's in my book and put Ellenberger one or two fights away from a title shot. Bisping's been there before though so I suppose they would both be perennial top 10 fighters who can't put it together. I would say that there are plenty of fighters that fit that bill though. Kampmann is also in a similar position to that though he has gotten screwed on a couple of fights (Shields and Sanchez).

Jake has knocked people unconscious before and is not universally disliked and is also an American.

an established and clearly talented fighter that has made a living beating good, but not great competition

ufn-25-shields-ellensberger-2.gif

Cool story bro.

Top 3 WW of all time. #2 WW at the time of getting KTFO.

If the #2 WW isn't considered elite, I dunno what to say anymore.

Last edited:
Jake actually has a top 10 win

Came to say this. Jake actually has the tools to hang in the WW top 5, but he has awful fight IQ at times. Bisping is pretty smart a good all-round, but not as talented as Jake. He has been very consistent beating top 11-20 guys, but Ellenberger has achieved more IMO.

Came to say this. Jake actually has the tools to hang in the WW top 5, but he has awful fight IQ at times. Bisping is pretty smart a good all-round, but not as talented as Jake. He has been very consistent beating top 11-20 guys, but Ellenberger has achieved more IMO.

Good breakdown.

No. As has already been noted, not only does Ellenberger have those wins over good fighters (Pyle, Hieron, Howard, etc.), he also has wins over a couple of great fighters (Sanchez, Marquardt) and one elite fighter (Shields).

Beyond that, the greater point - that both struggle to win that fight that catapults them to the title shot - is entirely exaggerated. Ellenberger has struggled a couple of times and only in the past two years. Bisping, on the other hand, has been an established guy in his division forever. For five straight years now he been unable to get over the hump despite opportunity after opportunity.

Ellenberger will probably never be a champion, but with his talent level and the way he matches up with his rivals stylistically, there's still a chance. Bisping has proven himself incapable of beating legitimate top 5 opponents and, perhaps worse, offers no real stylistic threat to the top dogs in his division.

Ellenberger looked a lot like Bisping when he got rocked and eventually ko'd by Kampmann.

Back