Is Jake Ellenberger The Welterweight Michael Bisping?

Mavadorov

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
UFC 173 Fight a Make or Break Situation for Jake Ellenberger

jake_ellenberger.jpg

Right now, Ellenberger is the welterweight version of Michael Bisping

didn't read a single word, aint got time for that.

but no...Jake can actually knock people out. no matter how similar their career highs and lows might be, you can't say they are similar based on that reason alone. Jake would fuck Bisping up if they fought, too.

Jake actually has a top 10 win

In the literal sense, no they fight nothing alike, punching power, etc.

As far as where they stand in the division, sure they always get really close and miss their opportunity.

All I have to say is Jake Shields, Diego Sanchez and Nate Marquardt are levels above the guys that Bisping has beaten at 185. Ellenberger>Bisping.

Also Ellenberger, minus the Rory fight has looked damn good against the elite of the division like in his fights with Condit, where he arguably should've won and Kampmann. Bisping on the other hand has lost relatively easy to the elites of the division like at the time Dan Hendo and Vitor and has even lost against guys he was probably supposed to beat like Wand and Kennedy. Only fight where he exceeded expectations was in the Chael fight.

Yeah similar ko power....same shit.

Edit : and yeah I read the article by the way.

I think Rory MacDonald would be a better example of a WW Michael Bisping especially if he loses to Woodley like I think he will.

Ellenberger might become a top 5-7 gatekeeper like Bisping at MW but MacDonald is more similar to Bisping in style as well as being a potential top 5-7 gatekeeper. It's too soon to make this comparison to either of them right now though, maybe in 2 more fights the comparison would be valid. Maia is another guy I could see being a mid level WW but never challenge for the belt, again still to early to say though, I just get that feeling with the three of them.

Last edited:
The only difference is that the WWD is more stacked than MW and a lot more competitive.

Mm i dont agree when it says this may be Jakes last run, 29 is not that old and he got tremendous power and wrestling, two things that get better with age and experience. I belive he can still be a menace to the title for the next 5 years

While it is too soon to write of Bisping, I think it would be a far more foolish mistake to underestimate Jake Ellenberger... he has some holes in his game, but so do a lot of fighters... but he has fought a lot of tough fighters... his brand has taken a real hit in the loss to Rory... which is unfair, Rory is a monster... Jake could very well be a guy who could win a couple of fights in dramatic fashion, and he will be right back in the title mix... I would pick Jake over guys like Brown and Dong Hyun Kim... A big win over Lawler, which is very plausible, would make a very strong case for Jake... I have this feeling that we haven't seen the best of Jake Ellenberger yet...

Bisping on the other hand has a lot of work ahead of him now.. and the guy is 35... so while it is unfair to write him off, the odds are not in favour of the Count making another big run.... Bisping looked slow and ineffective against Tim Kennedy, which may be the sign that his decline has already begun...

Jake even at WW would starch Bisping. Jake is better then people think, plus top 10 win.. yea.

I didn't realize 29 was considered old with regards to not having received a title shot yet. On another note, Ellenberger is pretty cocky when it comes to his statements about other fighters so the comparison might be fair.

Jake can beat any WW in the world, no questions asked. He has the skills and proper camp to go along with it. Bisping can't wrestle against high level opponents, and has absolutely no power.

Btw Ellenberger has it all over Bisping.

Last edited:
No.

I can see Jake getting wins over top competition. Anyone with his speed and power is dangerous.

I can't ever see Bisping getting a win over top competition. There's really nothing he brings to the table. He's not a great striker. He's not fast. He's not powerful. He's not a great wrestler. He's not a great bjj practitioner. Basically he has cardio and stays active. That's it.

If anything I'd say Matt Brown is the welterweight Michael Bisping.

The only difference is that the WWD is more stacked than MW and a lot more competitive.

That's arguable. Weidman-Machida-Vitor-Jacare-Rockhold are as good as the WW top 5. I would say WW depth may be a bit better.

Also, stop responding to the thread with comparisons between the way they fight. Read the article. They are referring to their respective places in their weight classes.

Back