Is it's fair to gauge an international fighter's popularity off of ppv buys?

Jblizzle

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I only ask this because most other countries aside from canada I believe don't pay for UFC ppvs, and I noticed that popularity seems to be measured by most people around here thru ppv buys

While it may be directionally accurate, you would of course be better by measuring the viewership from the international delivery sources.

Having said that, International popularity is likely still a distant second in importance to domestic popularity.

Outside media interest is a good way to gauge popularity. If they do movies, appear on talkshow, on magazine covers, are guests at charity events etc.

If they're talked about outside of MMA media ie. Rousey, GSP, Liddell, I would wager they were 'popular'.

Idk, but if a foreigner does good PPV numbers here, they're probably pretty popular in their home country, i.e. Anderson.

I'd say it's fair unless it's a fighter who speaks little or no English and has trouble connecting with fans in the US.

Also wondered this as here in the Uk all ppvs/events are live on bt sport , therefore we don't buy any ppvs, thought maybe its all taken into consideration somehow...

I don't know....

I don't know how much they make off of international TV deals vs PPV.
Do viewers watching it for free in other countries watch ads during a live card?

That's why I've always questioned the single minded idea that PPV numbers are the final word.

2 eras of mma,,,,,Fedor was king of 1 and maybe GSP was the 1st to show solid all around mma skills

Excellent question
But obviously PPV draw is the most important aspect of a fighters worth to Zuffa & that matters regarding pay structure

Of course it's fair. The UFC is in the business of sell PPVs. That's like dunder miflin not judging their salesmen on how much paper they sell.

We in America are used to foreign people and as long as they are exciting to watch shouldn't harm their ability to draw.

Either you sell or you don't. No excuse with the shrinking world we live in.

PPV buys is a terrible way to gauge anything.

Cards are not with one fight only, so PPV buys are actually a terrible way to measure any fighter.

I give you an example.
Ronda.
People claim she gets a lot of buys.

But all her events have some great fights.
For example:
UFC 175 - Weidman & Machida
UFC 170 - DC & Evans and Rory & Maia
UFC 168 - Weidman & SIlva
UFC 157 - Lyoto & Hendo, Urijah Faber & Menjivar

See what I mean?
To claim most buys were for Ronda it's just dumb.

The only way to measure from PPV, is when you get terrible cards with one good fight only. The type that gets canceled if the main event falls apart!

Of course it's fair. The UFC is in the business of sell PPVs. That's like dunder miflin not judging their salesmen on how much paper they sell.

We in America are used to foreign people and as long as they are exciting to watch shouldn't harm their ability to draw.

I get that, but when a fighter is a non english speaking foreign like Aldo for example, aren't most of his hardcore fans going to watch his fights on free tv?

?????

GSP via superior PPV #'s.

But GSP is a Canadian superstar who fought most of his career in an american organization. Canadians and Americans have to pay for ufc ppvs.

Fedor is a Russian superstar who fought most of his career in Japanese organizations, Did Japan or Russia have to pay for Pride ppvs? (serious question)

I get that, but when a fighter is a non english speaking foreign like Aldo for example, aren't most of his hardcore fans going to watch his fights on free tv?

Well that's Aldo's fault now isn't it. He's had like a decade to learn English.

Who cares whether it's fair. The UFC likes money a lot so they probably have some people looking into various metrics of popularity.

So that's why you always chant "USA! USA!" when an american fights an international fighter.

Back