Is it wrong to call a fighter "champ" when he no longer is champ?

Dougfunny

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
The few times ive bumped into fighters (former champs) i do this as a nervous reaction. Nick Diaz didnt find it amusing. Do they think u are mocking them??

if they are retired yes. I would call any retired fighter champ because they earned that respect, but if they are still fighting it is highly disrespectful to say that because it is mocking them that they arent the champ anymore.

Why do you feel the need to address the fighters when you meet them? They probably want to be left alone.

Calling former champs "champ" aint disrespectful.

Whats disrespectful is calling a fighter who has never been champ "champ". No need to nuthug.

I think it's like being the President. Once you leave office you don't go back to being Mr Smith.

But, it should only really happen with long time champs.

Not really Buddy, he prob did not want to be bothered unless you were a hot chick or were buying him a beer.

If they are active you only call them champ if they are the champ

Once retired i think its fine to call them champ if they were champ at any point (unless they won it, and then lost it straight away etc)

I call my dog champ and he has never held a belt, as far as I know.

Only a diss when they got dismantled their first defense a la Carla esparza

The few times ive bumped into fighters (former champs) i do this as a nervous reaction. Nick Diaz didnt find it amusing. Do they think u are mocking them??

What did Nick Diaz say? If he gave you attitude you should have been like..

"Why you mad bro? Is it because you're full of shit and everybody knows it?"

That's bad etiquette. You should have adressed him as "former Strikeforce champ".

Back