Is it worth it for UFC to kill their credibility like that?

I’m not upset at all. I think your rage is misguided and stupid. Mickey Garcia is 1-1 at WW in boxing. He’s ranked like 2 and 3 in different sanctioning bodies. Most of his credentials are at fw and lw. No one gives a fuck because they think he’s a top ww now that that’s the division he’s fighting at. It’s why he got a title shot his first fight in the division, where he lost, and why he was still a top ww when he was a 0-1 ww.

feel free to rage about the idea some consider conor a top 10 lw, the division he’s in, where he’s fighting the #1 contender soon in a pretty even odds fight.
You are upset, which is why you felt compelled to bring words like "upset" and "rage" into this conversation. It upsets you that you don't like the point I'm making and you can't refute it with a coherent rebuttal so instead you show how upset you are.

Mikey Garcia might be just 1-1 but he has a relevant win in the division just a year ago. Conor has one win in his division, and it happened while Obama was still sitting in the oval office. "Current" rankings are based on "recent" accomplishments, not who you "think" would beat who. Fighters are not stagnant, they improve and they decline. Ranking a fighter today, based on an accomplishment from 6 years ago is dumb, and you sound really dumb, on top of being upset of course.

The UFC is in the business to make money. Conor McGregor is a cash cow. He brings in a ton of money and fans. It isn't hard to understand.

After the Main Event, which as we know Oliveira won,...... they cut to Cormier and Rogan and Anik doing their cageside "debrief".

I did notice that they ALL clearly had their "Plan B" script which was : OK If Oliveira wins....then we PIVOT to ....promoting Justin Gaethje and ALSO I noticed very clearly a STRONG commentary about Islam Makhachev. Anik particularly talked about Makhachev in glowing terms (and i agree with him!).

So..... we know UFC is a business and I am very very happy that their obvious plan which was "CHANDLER WINS by KO" did not happen.....their endless endless hard promotion of Chandler was over-the-top entirely. Very happy the best man won, Oliveira, and he is an incredibly respectful humble and decent human.

So.... I expect that UFC will make Oliveira vs Gaethje next. That's what i'm thinking. Maybe Poirier but.... I'm thinking Gaethje. Cos Poirier is fighting in July and so he won't be "ready" for a title-shot til Oct or Nov.
So i'll be Oliveira vs Gaethje I think. Then Poirer when he beats McGegor again.

I think they will be pushing Makhachev now as the "New Khabib" to try to keep their Islamic partners etc happy.

The UFC is in the business to make money. Conor McGregor is a cash cow. He brings in a ton of money and fans. It isn't hard to understand.
Sure, but how many casuals do you think will be like "I really wanna watch this upcoming McGregor fight, but he's not even top 6 in the rankings so I'll skip it"?

The answer is none, none of the casuals will care where he's ranked, it will be enough to know that McGregor's fighting.

That's why I wonder if it's even worth it for the UFC, I don't think it will help sell the newbs at all, it just insults the intelligence of their more knowledgeable fanbase and makes their company look silly and less credible in the process imo.

You are upset, which is why you felt compelled to bring words like "upset" and "rage" into this conversation. It upsets you that you don't like the point I'm making and you can't refute it with a coherent rebuttal so instead you show how upset you are.

Mikey Garcia might be just 1-1 but he has a relevant win in the division just a year ago. Conor has one win in his division, and it happened while Obama was still sitting in the oval office. "Current" rankings are based on "recent" accomplishments, not who you "think" would beat who. Fighters are not stagnant, they improve and they decline. Ranking a fighter today, based on an accomplishment from 6 years ago is dumb, and you sound really dumb, on top of being upset of course.
Lol. You want to ignore a win against a ranked lw because they fought at ww......again, that’s your prerogative, but don’t rage when not everyone shares your view. Lets just make believe that fight never happened. And rage about him being ranked 6th......

And garcia was ranked before he had a win in the division. Just a loss.

And lol. I used words like upset and rage to describe you, brah. Wear it proud.

Lol. You want to ignore a win against a ranked lw because they fought at ww......again, that’s your prerogative, but don’t rage when not everyone shares your view. Lets just make believe that fight never happened. And rage about him being ranked 6th......

And garcia was ranked before he had a win in the division. Just a loss.

And lol. I used words like upset and rage to describe you, brah. Wear it proud.
Jan Blahowich just beat a ranked MW, the top ranked MW in fact. So what's his 185 ranking? I'll wait.

And LOL @ Cerrone being the "ranked" guy you're hanging Conor's ranking on, just LOL, you know you're desperate when....

Sure, but how many casuals do you think will be like "I really wanna watch this upcoming McGregor fight, but he's not even top 6 in the rankings so I'll skip it"?

The answer is none, none of the casuals will care where he's ranked, it will be enough to know that McGregor's fighting.

That's why I wonder if it's even worth it for the UFC, I don't think it will help sell the newbs at all, it just insults the intelligence of their more knowledgeable fanbase and makes their company look silly and less credible in the process imo.
Shouldn’t you step back yourself and ask, is the ufc really manipulating rankings to put conor at #6? Does that really make any sense to you? Or maybe, just maybe, the voters rank him top 10 and he falls at #6, ahead of guys like rda and hooker, but behind guys like dustin, justin, etc? You think he’s ranked 6 because it sells the fight? Or that it gives him credibility? It’s 6th. Not even top 5. It’s a pretty comical thing to rage about.

That's some heavy mental gymnastics you're performing.

Brock Lesnar was champ 3 fights ago too, should he still be in the HW top 10?

I'm not crying, I'm laughing at the levels of dishonesty people will stoop to just to be contrarian, confrontational, or whatever it is you're trying to be.

I was going to point out the ridiculousness of that "3 fights ago" justification too. Like, Muhammad Ali was boxing champ 3 fights ago too. Should he still be in top 10 boxing rankings, or does his death keep him out of it? :rolleyes:

When they blatantly misrepresent the MMA landscape by squeezing Conor into the LW rankings every chance they get lol.

The guy has not won a fight in the weight division since Barrack Obama was president, let that sink in for a moment. Meanwhile according to UFC rankings he's the #6 LW lol.

It was hilarious how many times they showed it last night, usually they would show you the top 10, or the top 5, but no last night they were showing you the top 6, and of course Conor just made the cut lol.

I don't see how lying in this way will benefit them at all, the casuals are not gonna buy a McGregor fight because he happens to be ranked, they will buy it because it's McGregor.

All they're really doing is looking ridiculous to the more knowledgeable fanbase, just blatant misrepresentation with no regard for credibility, and worst of all a bunch of idiots are about to try to justify it on this very thread.

<{hughesimpress}>

Not just the UFC but the shills as well. McGregor will always be pushed by corporate cucks like chael sonnen. Chandler had one win in the UFC vs a questionable opponent and was given a title shot.

It's a trash circus.

Jan Blahowich just beat a ranked MW, the top ranked MW in fact. So what's his 185 ranking? I'll wait.

And LOL @ Cerrone being the "ranked" guy you're hanging Conor's ranking on, just LOL, you know you're desperate when....
Well, if Jan decided he wanted to fight at mw, and could make mw, he’d be a top ranked mw. Being 0-0 at mw wouldn’t really matter, would it?

It’s not hanging conor’s ranking, its the reality that conor has fought and won a fight that you seem to want to pretend never happened.

Conor’s ranking is because voters think he can still fight near the level he was when he was a champion caliber fighter. Period. And he’s active and a lw. Rda is right behind conor, 1-0 in the division (split decision, short notice replacement fighter) and lost 4 of his last 6. Are you raging about that too?

Shouldn’t you step back yourself and ask, is the ufc really manipulating rankings to put conor at #6? Does that really make any sense to you? Or maybe, just maybe, the voters rank him top 10 and he falls at #6, ahead of guys like rda and hooker, but behind guys like dustin, justin, etc? You think he’s ranked 6 because it sells the fight? Or that it gives him credibility? It’s 6th. Not even top 5. It’s a pretty comical thing to rage about.
You're just spinning now, stay calm and try to justify his fanking coherently.

Again, as far as I understand rankings are about recent accomplishments of an athlete, otherwise like one other poster already mentioned we might as well still rank Mohammed Ali by your logic since he was champ only 3 fights ago.

Conor’s ranking is because voters think he can still fight near the level he was when he was a champion caliber fighter. ?
Exactly, "cause voters think"... basically it's a bullshit ranking based on the casual sheep's wishful thinking.

Thank you, glad we can finally agree.

You're just spinning now, stay calm and try to justify his fanking coherently.

Again, as far as I understand rankings are about recent accomplishments of an athlete, otherwise like one other poster already mentioned we might as well still rank Mohammed Ali by your logic since he was champ only 3 fights ago.
Rankings are about where voters think fighters fall within a division. You can try to pretend it’s absurd that conor is a top 10 lw, but don’t rage when not everyone agrees with you. If you think ability and history have nothing to do with current rankings, you’re just ignorant to rankings. Sorry. That seems to be your problem. As far as you understand rankings, you don’t understand them well enough.

Again, it’s pointless to rage about a #6 ranking.

Exactly, "cause voters think"... basically it's a bullshit ranking based on the casual sheep's wishful thinking.

Thank you, glad we can finally agree.

Yes, because voters actually have a brain. And try to use it. You seem to think it’s an algorithm that spits out rankings. Voters, using their cognitive ability, THINK conor falls about 6th in the ufc lw division, just ahead of the guy who has lost 4 of 6 and another guy who has lost 2 straight and no top 5 wins. Crazy shit.....

I mean I think it should be obvious that Dana White and the UFC care more about money than they do about credibility. Of course they're still going to have Conor highly ranked.
The thing is it's hard to rank Conor because he truly only has one win at Lightweight, but he's also a former champ so how do you rank him? Yes he beat Nate and Cowboy, but both of those wins were at Welterweight. And I always felt that those guys belonged at 170 to begin with. Plus Cowboy was already starting to go on the decline when he fought Conor. So it wasn't as impressive of a win as it would have been if Conor would have beaten him 2-3 years earlier.
Yes he lost to Dustin and Khabib, but's it's Dustin and Khabib, so it's somewhat excusable.
I guess at the end of the day I'm not against Conor being ranked as highly as he is because of his past accomplishments (most of which were at 145 and 170, ironically) but I wouldn't necessarily be against him being ranked lower either because of the reasons you mentioned.

Can't expect much from a sport that pays its athletes less than ping pong players

Back