Is it unfair that some fighters have a size advantage?

Of course. Which is why every division outside HW and a few select LHW's are making up the numbers… They aren't really the best fighters in real terms BUT…

…If we are going to have these weight restrictions within the sport to give everyone a 'fair go' the weight restrictions should at least be enforced otherwise there is no point in having them in the first place.

But they are enforced. Weight cuts are bad for a whole bunch of reasons. But they aren't unfair.

In general the worst case scenario is when one guy cuts 10 lbs (that's a normal cut), and another guy cuts 20 (that's a big cut). So you're still looking at guys who are within 10 lbs fighting one another. That's within the range that weight classes allow for anyway.

Actually OP is onto something.

Reach is one of the biggest advantages in MMA. Age is a close second.
I remember seeing statistics that showed that age was the best variable to predict a win in MMA.

Age isn't second. It's first. And it's first by a very wide margin.

Wrestling experience/credentials is second.

Then reach. And if you take JJ out of the stats, the advantage isn't nearly as pronounced (which is interesting when you consider that JJ has also had the age advantage over all of his opponents and has had a wrestling experience advantage over the vast majority of them).

But they are enforced. Weight cuts are bad for a whole bunch of reasons. But they aren't unfair.

In general the worst case scenario is when one guy cuts 10 lbs (that's a normal cut), and another guy cuts 20 (that's a big cut). So you're still looking at guys who are within 10 lbs fighting one another. That's within the range that weight classes allow for anyway.

They never created the weight classes with the intention of someone actually weighing 190lb if they are supposed to be 177lb. It's cheating. If a fighter, for instance a MW wants to water cut from 210lb… Realistically he's a HW.

They never created the weight classes with the intention of someone actually weighing 190lb if they are supposed to be 177lb. It's cheating. If a fighter, for instance a MW wants to water cut from 210lb… Realistically he's a HW.

Sure. But they did create the weight classes so a guy who weighs 187 lbs would be in the same weight class as a guy who weighs 205 lb. They determined that at that size, a 20 lb variance was about right.

Casual here,

Any fight where the fighter has an obvious reach advantage (DC-Jones / Hendricks-Wonderboy) I always feel:

1) Shouldn't the taller fighter move up a weight-class? It doesn't seem fair. -example: Aldo-McG

2) The larger or taller fighter has the advantage. It's up to the shorter fighter to apply pressure and close the distance.

Sure, there's been countless times when reach/size has counted for nothing and the other guy won - but overall I think some guys are just too big for their weight class and some fighters gain an unfair advantage.

Good point.

They should scrap weight classes and have height classes instead.

I look forward to George Roop vs Cain Velasquez for the UFC 6ft 1in Championship.

Back