Is it true that GSP wanted to fight Maia LOL???

I keep seeing people say this, but haven't seen a source. Is this actually true?

If so, that's a pretty embarrassing look for GSP.

Chomping at the bit to fight one eyed geriatric Bisping and Geriatric Maia, but "colitis bro" when asked about fighting Whittaker, Romero, or T-Wood?

While Silva is fighting killers at 43 yrs old. Unbelievable......
GSP and DW were in the crowd for Woodley vs Maia. Had Maia won GSP would have fought him. But Woodley won with 1 shoulder and GSP got cold feet about fighting him and asked to fight Bisping.

If GSP wasn't suppose to fight the winner why was he in the audience with DW with an active camera filming everything? Why this event?

So many stupid threads are made...or more like comments i mean...

Guy is the best WW of all times...and so far...it is not close at all.

He beat everybody the UFC has thrown at him...only close fight was against Hendricks...
Hendricks didn't retire him...
The judges awarded GSP a decision and HE gets heat for it?!?!?
If some of you had actually watching MMA at this time, you would remember what was going on leading up to the fight and at the presser...

Comes back after 4 or so years and beats the champ...a weightclass higher - and people say: well he only did it because it was Bisping or Bisping is weak!
Bisping was one of the top MW guys his whole UFC career...
So many people were high on Luke and Bisping came in and knocked him the spark out with 1 freaking eye...
Hendo couldn't close the show against Bisping in their 2nd meeting...is Hendo that bad?
What did Hendo do before the 2nd Bisping fight?
...knocking mofos the f out...

Prime Anderson fought Maia and he embarressed the UFC right in front of the sheiks, Dana was more than pissed...
Maia kept going and made it to another title shot and Woodley put on the most boring performence a UFC champion has ever put on...is Maia that bad?

I keep seeing people say this, but haven't seen a source. Is this actually true?

Chomping at the bit to fight one eyed geriatric Bisping and Geriatric Maia, but "colitis bro" when asked about fighting Whittaker, Romero, or T-Wood?

Lol. Anderson is a joke and the so called killers he’s fighting is a bigger joke

This was back when Maia was on his tear and was the clear top contender. I don't recall him saying he'd fight Maia for sure, but I remember him showing a lot of respect to Maia and teasing slight interest in testing his skills against Maia.

Also, Maia is great.

Maia is better than Cannonier or whatever he is called. He's better than Israel until proven otherwise too. Anderson fought Maia...

Anderson wants to fight strikers and GSP wants to fight grapplers. What do you expect?

Maia is better than everybody Silva has fought since weidman.

Adesenya is undefeated in MMA. You're going to sit here and pretend that 40 yr Maia is as lethal a threat? Get your head out of your ass.

GSP called out Maia when Maia was on the best streak of his career. Also, prime maia rolls adesanya up like a pretzel.

Adesanya is still a prospect with hype. Maia is a proven vet who has been top ten for a decade, has earned two title shots, and has the second most wins in UFC history.

GSP and Aldo are so similar in a lot of ways
  • Each reigned over one of the deeper divisions in the sport
  • Each has 9 defenses
  • Each started out as an aggressive fighter and became more conservative as their reigns continued
But now?

Aldo is fighting all of the top contenders in his division

And Georges ... 41 year old Maia off a 1-3 skid without a win over a top 5 guy for 2 1/2 years?
Aldo is in his early 30s, GSP his late 30s.

Jesus Christ..... GSP was still the man at the age Aldo is now.....

It is equivalent to GSP winning the MW belt while Anderson Silva is trying to now get wins over nobodies and being like, see, that's the difference...... They'd be equally dumb comments.

Let me know where Aldo is if he gets multiple ACL surgeries and is 5 years older..... See who he is fighting then..

If you want to talk about how eerily similar they are, why not point out that Aldo is talkijgn about stopping fighting at the same age GSP was when he left...

Also, Georges lost his first bout in his 8th fight over the all time great Matt Hughes

Aldo, lost his first bout in his 8th fight over the all time great Luciano Azevedo.

Aldo didn't fight guys I would deem the man of his weight class until 17 or so fights while Georges was by his 8th which conveniently every hater overlooks while Silva and Aldo still fought cans for awhile after 8 fights before fighting that same level....

Last edited:

Lol Canderson wants to fight a midget Irish former FW, but he's forced to settle with yet another nobody not even in top 5, not even in top 10. You know why? Because he is not an elite fighter anymore and nobody cares. That's why he got schooled by one eyed geriatric Bisping, while GSP left him unconscious lmao. Not that is fucking embarrassing hahaha!

UnawareBowedChinchilla-size_restricted.gif

Micheal fucking Bisping matrix'd Anderson... Made him look like Forrest Griffen. Never forget.

<{outtahere}>

And Lol @ Silva fan girls... I thought Maia was a legit defense? What happened? TS just played himself badly.

On thing is for sure, GSP would beat the shit out of Maia a lot worse than Silva did, who by Dana's own admission put on the WORST FIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF THE SPORT. Dana was about to FIRE Silva for stinking up an entire country and embarrassing the organization. Silva single handidly KILLED mma in the middle east LMAO.

The "GOAT" ladies and gentlemen:
2m9sf9.jpg

<Oku02>

So many stupid threads are made...or more like comments i mean...

Guy is the best WW of all times...and so far...it is not close at all.

He beat everybody the UFC has thrown at him...only close fight was against Hendricks...
Hendricks didn't retire him...
The judges awarded GSP a decision and HE gets heat for it?!?!?
If some of you had actually watching MMA at this time, you would remember what was going on leading up to the fight and at the presser...

Comes back after 4 or so years and beats the champ...a weightclass higher - and people say: well he only did it because it was Bisping or Bisping is weak!
Bisping was one of the top MW guys his whole UFC career...
So many people were high on Luke and Bisping came in and knocked him the spark out with 1 freaking eye...
Hendo couldn't close the show against Bisping in their 2nd meeting...is Hendo that bad?
What did Hendo do before the 2nd Bisping fight?
...knocking mofos the f out...

Prime Anderson fought Maia and he embarressed the UFC right in front of the sheiks, Dana was more than pissed...
Maia kept going and made it to another title shot and Woodley put on the most boring performence a UFC champion has ever put on...is Maia that bad?
Hendo looked like he jogged a couple miles at the end of the second fight.
Bisping looked like he got jumped by a pack of savages.

I thought it was a draw but to argue Hendo didn't take 2 rounds (i gave him a 10-8 for one of them) is really disingenuous. At least 3 times Hendo had Bisping in real trouble. Bisping survived, recovered and won on points.

And Woodley fought 4 and a half rounds with 1 shoulder. He gets big credit for taking that W from me. How many people could keep Maia off them for 22 minutes with 1 properly functioning shoulder?

He's better than DC???

I'll be honest with you. I forgot that fight even happened. I didn't even watch it when It was booked last minute because I had no interest in it.

My bad, still, Maia is better than the majority of guys that silva has been fighting.

Aldo is in his early 30s, GSP his late 30s.

Jesus Christ..... GSP was still the man at the age Aldo is now.....

Jesus Christ Aldo has 32 fights. Georges only has 28.

Aldo came up in a jungle favela, not a major first world country with A-level health care. Dude was so beat up for a stretch of his career Dana said he had to go through a full rehabilitation programme on his neck before every fight camp. Spent years at Nova Uniao, one of several Brazilian academies where sparring was essentially war and weight cutting was stone-age even after North American gyms had become much more scientific about it. Once had to withdraw from a fight due to injuries from a motorcycle crash

Aldo's birth certificate says he's 32, but his body is 48 in fighter years.

Aldo, lost his first bout in his 8th fight over the all time great Luciano Azevedo.

The Azevedo fight was short notice at LW. Did Georges take any short notice MW fights early in his career?

Did Aldo lose at FW to anybody as ordinary as Matt Serra?

... every hater ...

I've said Georges is UFC GOAT in at least 2 other threads yesterday. I've said it dozens of times in the 4 years I've been on Sherdog and have been exceedingly consistent in that stance.

You want to cry hater don't come crying to me.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ Aldo has 32 fights. Georges only has 28.

Aldo came up in a jungle favela, not a major first world country with A-level health care. Dude was so beat up for stretch of his career Dana said he had to go through a full rehabilitation programme on his neck before every fight camp. Spent years at Nova Uniao, one of several Brazilian academies where sparring was essentially war and weight cutting was stone-age even after North American gyms had become much more scientific about it. Once had to withdraw from a fight due to injuries from a motorcycle crash

Aldo's birth certificate says he's 32, but his body is 48 in fighter years.

The Azevedo fight was short notice at LW. Did Georges take any short notice MW fights early in his career? Did Aldo lose at FW to anybody as ordinary as Matt Serra?

I've said Georges is UFC GOAT in at least 2 other threads yesterday. I've said it dozens of times in the 4 years I've been on Sherdog and have been exceedingly consistent in that stance.

You want to cry hater don't come crying to me.

You seem like a pretty sensible guy.

Please explain to me how a guy who was able to finish a fight in 6 years and had to rely on judges scorecards for "wins", tapped to strikes, and was beaten twice, is somehow better than a man who's NEVER been beaten in the octagon by another man, and has actually never even been ROCKED by another man?

GSP picked Maia to beat Woodley before their fight. No doubt GSP would have fought Maia had he beaten Tyron.
khabib is an easy fight? Are you brain dead?
GSP only wants easy fights, not challenges.

I think he mentioned Maia before the Maia vs TWood match. Probably something about testing his BJJ against Maia.

Wasn't Silva just on a card that did 175k estimated buys? He could probably be making better choices for his career and health at this point.

You seem like a pretty sensible guy.

Bad call, I'm a total wack job.

Please explain to me how a guy who was able to finish a fight in 6 years and had to rely on judges scorecards for "wins", tapped to strikes, and was beaten twice, is somehow better than a man who's NEVER been beaten in the octagon by another man, and has actually never even been ROCKED by another man?

Between Dec 2011 and Dec 2018 Jon's only legit finishes were over guys who had been fighting nothing but MWs for the previous half decade, one of whom was even off a loss at MW. Even if we count the DC rematch as "legit" it's still 5 1/2 years without finishing a legit LHW contender for Jonny Bones. The last time GSP had the gift of defending against someone whose previous handful of fights were a division below it was the LW champion and Georges made him quit on the stool.

Jon said Lyoto had rocked him. Gus put him in hospital. Vitor, a short notice MW, nearly took home Jon's arm.

Those are kind of by the by though. The real answer is that I have divisional depth in my highly artistic and rigorously scientific algorithm.

MMA-Heights-5.jpg

UFCDivisional-Depth2.png

I'm a fan of spectacle so I'm a fan of 205, and Jonny Bones is my favourite fighter to watch and has been for well over half a decade now, but it's impossible to ignore that his division is so shallow that
  • Right in the middle of his triumphant defense streak there are two consecutive middleweights
  • Both he and DC have defenses against a "challenger" who had been finished in their previous fight
  • Of Jon's first 6 title fights only 1 was against an opponent with better LHW momentum than an active 2-win streak
  • Forest Griffin had been champion
You just don't get anywhere near as many of those kinds of shallowness indicators in a deep-ass, beast-rich division like FW, LW or WW. Even big units like Forest himself, Frank Mir, Brendan Schaub and Big John McCarthy, as well as high level coaches like Mike Brown, have openly stated that due to the lack of depth in the heavier divisions the level of difficulty is lower relative to deep divisions like FW, LW and WW. And that's even after you count in the "power factor".

I mean, the second best guy at 205 is one of the most lovable characters in the history of the sport, but if you scaled him P4P to 145, 155 or 170 he wouldn't even be Top 5 in any of those weight classes. There's a real good reason you don't crack the upper echelons of WW if you have a dadbod.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Back