Is it too late?

We had a couple of guys who started at 19 and 20. One is a professional and the other one is 6-0, if I recall, in the amateurs. They were both workhorses though. One of them practically lived in the gym.

Note: You're NOT gonna learn on a consistent basis. At least you won't think so. There's the point where you become quite impatient, but you should try to refrain from doing something stupid. Just giving you a heads up.

I'm patient enough, I'll stick it out if I get stuck on something. I'm not gunna quit that's for sure. I don't wanna be one of those dudes 20 years down the line wondering what could have been if I'd tried my hand at it in a serious manner. If it doesn't work I have my nearly completed college degree to fall back on.

Win win I suppose. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Then just do it. Your basing a major life changing decision on responses from sherdog? If everyone told you not to try, would you listen and find another hobby?

My advise: Strip butt naked, find a corner in your basement, curl up into the fetal position, and wither away. best of luck

I was mainly asking opinions. Some people on this site are actually insightful.

Yep.

You might as well pack it in. There is NO chance, even with hard work and dedication, that you'll ever be proficient at anything other than chess and shuffleboard.

19?

You kidding me?

Ancient.

19 is far too late for chess too

To fight amateur. Heck no. Promoters will let anyone fight on their shows. Especially if they'll do it for free

i hope to be having my first ammy match soon at the tender age of 28 so...

cool, man! good luck to you. I am 24 and I just started boxing. I want to get in some MMA fights in a few years.

19 is far too late for chess too

Yes, it's true. I am a professional chess player and I only know one guy who started past 25 who became a pro and he was just an anomaly and very gifted with great determination.

Opening theory and Endgame theory are motherfuckers. And warehousing hundreds of thousands of patterns is no walk in the park. Even the part the requires imagination, the middlegame, is very difficult because it takes a lot to build intuition for candidate moves and plans.

Yes, it's true. I am a professional chess player and I only know one guy who started past 25 who became a pro and he was just an anomaly and very gifted with great determination.

Opening theory and Endgame theory are motherfuckers. And warehousing hundreds of thousands of patterns is no walk in the park. Even the part the requires imagination, the middlegame, is very difficult because it takes a lot to build intuition for candidate moves and plans.

quiet nerd

I had my first ammy at 19, but fuck I now that I think about it I was so bad then compared to now, so all the fights between 19-21 are irrelavent.

To fight amateur. Heck no. Promoters will let anyone fight on their shows. Especially if they'll do it for free

Well, fighting in MMA had nearly just became legal here in Ontario. I'm going to think there's going to be an explosion of promotions going on for the next little bit, everyone trying to cash in on MMA skyrocketing popularity.

I was being serious with the question. This isn't a troll job. A few people have told me it's too late try to fight ammy. I AM trying to get serious responses.

But you get a 7.3/10 for the first responce being trolled xP

looks like you were looking for a specific answer jk. more important than age, make sure you go to a good gym.

Fuck all these idiots. It is not too late at all. It really depends on how quickly you can learn.

10,000 hours. You got it?

This is "the" known amount of time it takes to be masterful at anything.

You don't have to be masterful, to be pro. But, you have to be damn good... obviously.

Most people we may attribute "great genetics" or "gifted" or "a great etc." more than likely put the time in before you ever laid eyes on them.

Tyson would stay up late into the night, while at the reformatory, before Cus adopted him, throwing combinations.

Willing to do something similar?

If not, then it's not too late.

P.S. When you grow out of this phase of life, and you want something more than to just "be a great fighter"... then apply the same strategy to getting paid!

you never to old just got to put in the time. train more then others, train harder, do one more rep, at 10 pounds more. if you have to train like a mad man year round to make you win, so be it.

19 isn't that old to start mma. Demian Maia started BJJ at 19, Joe Lauzon started when he was 17 IIRC. I'm sure plenty have started later. If you want to fight professionally then the amount of training you do is as important as when you start.

Sorry to bring back a thread that hasn't been posted in for a few days, but I figured I'd weigh in on the subject.

In my opinion, 19 is BY NO MEANS "too late" to start training to fight competitively. Lots of relatively successful fighters started around your age. With that said, there will always be people that will tell you that it's too late, or that you're not good enough, or that what you're attempting can't be done. Those people are WRONG, and it's important that if fighting is what you want to do, you go out and show them what you're made of. Do the best that you can to be the best that you can be, and be happy with that at the end of each day.

I found this quote (which actually made me think of this thread) and I thought I should share it.

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down in the arena are the doers. They make mistakes because they try many things. The man who makes no mistakes lacks boldness and the spirit of adventure. He is the one who never tries anything. He is the break in the wheel of progress. And yet it cannot be truly said he makes no mistakes, because his biggest mistake is the very fact that he tries nothing, does nothing, except criticize those who do things."

Gen. David M. Shoup,
Former Commandant, US Marine Corps,
Medal of Honor, Tarawa, November 1943

Best of luck

Dude your crazy! Your young you fool! Youve got your whole life ahead of you! It takes about 2-3 years to get good enough at MMA to compete depending on how quick you learn, how good your trainers are, how much effort you put in ect ect ect.

Im 18 and I just started training MMA properly a few months ago. Admittedly ive been doing kickboxing and weight training for a while but it doesnt make that much differnce.

Back