Is it time to legalize the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sports?

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Here's a discussion on the subject from a CBC Radio program called The Current:

Leaked IAAF Files Rekindle Argument to Legalize Doping in Sport

See also: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/wada-to-investigate-new-doping-allegations-in-athletics-1.3177147

"WADA President Craig Reedie said Sunday he was surprised by the scale of the allegations, including that one-third of medals in endurance races at the Olympics and world championships over a 10-year period were won by athletes who recorded suspicious doping tests...." "Reedie stressed the allegations were unproven and athletes are assumed innocent until found guilty."

It's not only this program but a number of other influences which have changed my mind and convinced me it might be better to make them legal altogether than to try to stamp them out. The labs creating the drugs are always ahead of the people looking for ways to detect them. Even GSP said you only get caught if you are dumb or very disorganized (at least under the testing regime in place when he was still fighting.)

I agree with Rogan that to train all these different disciplines multiple times per day every day of the week, bodies just break down and PEDs are the only way to make it possible to train like that without getting injured constantly. The anti PED guy makes the argument the cheaters are in the minority when there is evidence that the opposite is true, it looks like most athletes are using.

The only issue I see is that, just like equipment technology and training facilities, PEDs will most benefit those who have the money to spend on R&D. Poorer people will suffer huge disadvantages, but then, they do already. It would be better than encouraging a culture of corruption and coverup of PED use in sports due to all the money involved.

Sadly, the anti-PED guy doesn't do his credibility any favours by referring to "the MMA" when he obviously intends to refer to the UFC but in fairness, the discussion was more generally about PEDs in all sports. I was interested to hear that GSP's stance about staying out until things improve has gained traction outside MMA, at least in Canada, but it remains to be seen whether the UFC's new PED policy will serve its intended purpose. More likely, it will result in only the better paid athletes being able to afford more complex doping bolstering the burgeoning fighter underclass that the UFC is cultivating in their effort to go global.

What do you think?

Poor timing for this thread a week after Roddy Piper's death.

Ok pro wrestlers don't just use steroids but equally MMA fighters wouldn't just use steroids as well.

I agree.

It's COMPLETELY pointless to have these banned substances.

It doesn't work. There's always going to be new drugs, new ways of masking, etc.
It's a game of cat and mouse, a very stupid one.

The only ones getting caught are dumb and poor people.

Pretty much everyone is using, and so what?
Gives better fights, prevents injuries, heals injuries quicker, allows for better and more training.

Of course it shouldn't be legal.

1) Now they have to be careful and stay under the radar, they can't go too overboard. Make things legal and they'll stray even further away from humanity.

2) Companies spend millions on equipping atheletes with their products. Why? Because people buy stuff celebrities wear. If you normalize peds, how many people won't start abusing that stuff? A lot will and PEDs are dangerous when handled poorly (and can be dangerous even when handled right). People are gonna drop like flies.

3) Is this really the future we want? Where using PEDs is an absolute if you want to become something?

4) If we allow PEDs in sports, we gonna have to allow it in other fields as well. Letting PEDs become a mainstream tool to use sounds like a dangerous thing.

Here's a discussion on the subject from a CBC Radio program called The Current:

Leaked IAAF Files Rekindle Argument to Legalize Doping in Sport

See also: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/wada-to-investigate-new-doping-allegations-in-athletics-1.3177147

"WADA President Craig Reedie said Sunday he was surprised by the scale of the allegations, including that one-third of medals in endurance races at the Olympics and world championships over a 10-year period were won by athletes who recorded suspicious doping tests...." "Reedie stressed the allegations were unproven and athletes are assumed innocent until found guilty."

It's not only this program but a number of other influences which have changed my mind and convinced me it might be better to make them legal altogether than to try to stamp them out. The labs creating the drugs are always ahead of the people looking for ways to detect them. Even GSP said you only get caught if you are dumb or very disorganized (at least under the testing regime in place when he was still fighting.)

I agree with Rogan that to train all these different disciplines multiple times per day every day of the week, bodies just break down and PEDs are the only way to make it possible to train like that without getting injured constantly. The anti PED guy makes the argument the cheaters are in the minority when there is evidence that the opposite is true, it looks like most athletes are using.

The only issue I see is that, just like equipment technology and training facilities, PEDs will most benefit those who have the money to spend on R&D. Poorer people will suffer huge disadvantages, but then, they do already. It would be better than encouraging a culture of corruption and coverup of PED use in sports due to all the money involved.

Sadly, the anti-PED guy doesn't do his credibility any favours by referring to "the MMA" when he obviously intends to refer to the UFC but in fairness, the discussion was more generally about PEDs in all sports. I was interested to hear that GSP's stance about staying out until things improve has gained traction outside MMA, at least in Canada, but it remains to be seen whether the UFC's new PED policy will serve its intended purpose. More likely, it will result in only the better paid athletes being able to afford more complex doping bolstering the burgeoning fighter underclass that the UFC is cultivating in their effort to go global.

What do you think?

GSP speaks from experience

The problem with making them legal is it starts a snowball effect of people using more drugs at younger ages to get the performance edge over the competition.

The problem with making them legal is it starts a snowball effect of people using more drugs at younger ages to get the performance edge over the competition.

I'm not saying there aren't problems with making them legal. At the same time, taking them from the black market and bringing them out into the light for all to see would make them safer and that would be worth it as a start.

Show me anyone who thinks it's ok for kids to take any sort of drug they don't need for illness treatment or some related purpose and I will show you someone who should be shot and pissed on but if we can responsibly and openly research PEDs for safety and efficacy, we can better determine if/when there is an age where it is relatively safe to be taking them.

As others have mentioned it just such a slippery slope.

1. The rich people get better PEDs than the poor
2. Someone who doesn't know the effects or doesn't want to put that stuff in his body can't compete with those people who are willing to take PEDs
3. Kids will start to use them at a younger age to become/stay competitive

I hate the whole cat and mouse game as well but I think just opening up to anything and everything won't work either. THen it's just a game of who takes the most PEDs and less skill will be involved.

Prepare to get flamed. I personally see no problem with it so long as it's regulated properly.

Didn't notice until you mentioned it. I wonder what the hell for?

Too slippery a slope and somebody with the power of Carwin's at a young age, growing up and getting stronger than he would by constantly training at an alarming rate with PEDs will EASILY kill someone, especially if they possess that power or greater in the other 6 points of contact aside from their hands, plus their suplexing and slamming power, or if they go all out on a choke.

prideroidcontract.jpg

Back