Is it time to change the round format?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Hash Slinging Slasher, Feb 8, 2020.

1. The Hash Slinging Slasher Purple Belt

So in a fight like jones/Reyes, I think that we would have got a much more clear decision if there were 7 3.5 minute rounds. There would be a better chance IMO to have a clear winner, plus it would give the fighters the advantage of having 6 periods to rest instead of 4. The fight time would be similar (24.5 minutes).
    Would this be a good idea for championship fights?

2. Congo66 Silver Belt

No.
    5x 5 mins is fine there's no real need to change it unless you go 7x 5 mins.
    Jones wins that fight comfortably.

3. egk Gold Belt

I've said for years the round by round system is stupid for MMA. It was designed for boxing where they have many more rounds to even out the badly judges ones. Pride had some bad decisions too but the scoring of fights as a whole was much better. In MMA the 10pt system promotes points fighting.

Still, the Jones/Reyes fight isn't an example of a robbery by any means and Jones might have won more easily on a fight scored as a whole. That's because Reyes faded in the last two rounds.

4. koquerelle Silver Belt

I would go for 150 rounds lasting 10 seconds. Each round has a different ring girl.

5. Liquid Samurai Purple Belt

Joe Rogan and Cruz's shilling actually works. Jon lost 3 rounds, the current scoring criteria, JONES LOST. Now they want to change it, lol. Fuck the UFC

6. Rkue Purple Belt

10 min round. 2 5 min rounds like Pride....

7. The Hash Slinging Slasher Purple Belt

I don’t think 7 5 minute rounds is realistic. 25 minutes is already a long time to be in a fight.

8. The Hash Slinging Slasher Purple Belt

I agree that it wasn’t a robbery. I thought Reyes won 3 rounds, but is was far from a clear victory for either guy. I think Jon was caught off guard by how good Reyes did, but ultimately he knew that he would fade a little bit, because nobody at LHW can keep the pace up like that for 25 minutes.
    As one of the biggest jones haters on here, I’ll say that that was a really fun fight to watch. Dom isn’t done though, he showed that he’s right there with the best in the world.

9. Zarate Purple Belt

0 Min x 5 Rounds. The Judges just say their Decision and thats it.