Is it safe to say that PEDs are used more at the top level?

Lawblaw

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Here's some of the people who were flagged by USADA

BJ Penn - Former LW and WW champion
Jon Jones - Former LHW champion, holds the record for title defense
Brock Lesnar - Former HW champion, defended the belt two times
Frank Mir - Former HW champion
Lyoto Machida- Former LHW champion and fought for the MW title
Yoel Romero - Top MW and will probably fight for the belt very soon
Mirko Filipovic - Former Pride and K-1 Grand Prix champion
Chad Mendes - Top FW, fought for the belt 3 times
Carlos Diego Ferreira - Former Legacy LW champion
Diego Brandao - TUF winner

The testing at the highest level (UFC) is the most stringent and the results made public. We don't hear about or see the fighters using PEDs at the lower levels as often.

I trained at a small gym. Had some friends at a very well known gym. Everyone juices. It is crazy!

I think it's actually safe to say that it's more rampant at lower levels of pro MMA. Those guys are the most desperate to get an edge. So throughout the sport it's rampant but at the highest level there is testing and less desperation, plus they are more consequences so I would say that they are actually used less at the top level.

I think it's actually safe to say that it's more rampant at lower levels of pro MMA. Those guys are the most desperate to get an edge. So throughout the sport it's rampant but at the highest level there is testing and less desperation, plus they are more consequences so I would say that they are actually used less at the top level.
Are you suggesting they stop using when they reach a certain level?

To answer your question, TS, no. They are used at all levels, but nobody gives a shit when some bum gets popped at a local show, and that's if the local show even tests, which they probably don't. Most fighters who are asked about it give pretty grim estimations of what percentage are using.

They are all on steroids. I think top guys has better masking agent.

Are you suggesting they stop using when they reach a certain level?

To answer your question, TS, no. They are used at all levels, but nobody gives a shit when some bum gets popped at a local show, and that's if the local show even tests, which they probably don't. Most fighters who are asked about it give pretty grim estimations of what percentage are using.
I do think that there are some deterrents once a fighter reaches the highest levels of the sport but as we see, that's not enough for a lot of them.

Guys juice hard to get noticed in small venues for a slim shot at their dream of one day fighting in the UFC and will do ANYTHING to reach their dream !

NO! To even get to the UFC, guys need some illegal supplements. Catching the no 30 ranked fighter doesn't send a signal. The reason the top guys are caught is because USADA has decided to target the biggest names. Look at who they test most, and you know these guys will eventually get caught.

It is just less of a factor at lower level, not that it is used less.

When you are at a level where half the fighters are even struggling to kick or punch with clean technique PED is the least of their concerns - they just need to get good first.

It is more of a factor at elite level because the skill difference between elites is marginal and every advantage matters.

It is like putting a turbo on a shitcan Daihatsu - there is very little point as the power on it is shit anyways; versus putting a turbo on a Porsche 911.

Anyone recall how many guys get busted in Belltor compared to UFC??

It's safe to say that PEDs are rampant at every level in every sport. All you have to do is ask yourself "why would they not be?" and you'll be able to come up with a rational answer. We can give our armchair analysis of what our personal decisions would be based on our morals and values, but the part we fail to remember is that we're not making said decisions with a potential positive impact on our only source of income. That changes changes things drastically when coming to a decision.

The testing at the highest level (UFC) is the most stringent and the results made public. We don't hear about or see the fighters using PEDs at the lower levels as often.

Yea, there's plenty of evidence to show that PED use is fairly widespread through every level of competitive sport. I don't see why the UFC and MMA would be an exception.

Anyone recall how many guys get busted in Belltor compared to UFC??
relatively few, but again, when you only have to worry about fight night tests, it's not a problem. And up until a few years ago, the ACs Bellator was competing under often didn't test. Askren said he was only tested once in his career at Bellator. They are making some efforts though. They got the Mohegan Sun AC to test everyone for the event in London.

Back