Is it really a smart way of gameplanning by Mcgregor?

dragonskin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
("The best gameplan is to not have a gameplan" - bruce lee) mcgregor said it on mma hour!!?
Well it might be good, but no matter how much you work your ass, you are not going to be the complete figther that does know every move and how to defend them and counter.
I like Mcgregor and his confidence, but if you wanna be a champ "keep it real". :icon_lol:

source: mma hour ep 200

Last edited:
what the hell are you even saying?

This is awful.

lol this dude is crazy. I've seen him fight and he's okay at most. Even the joking about him being the goat is as average as him

Well it's worked for him so far and he's getting ready to pass Anderson's title defense record. I say he knows what he's doing.

MMA is not as sophisticated is some people make it out to be.
the game plan:
Keep it standing if you are winning standing.
If you feel more comfortable on the mat rather than standing, take it to the mat, GnP or go for submission depending on your skills. (you can also go for some take-downs for points).
If you are taken to the mat, get up, sweep, attack from the bottom or wait out the round depending on your skills.

All that doesn't mean that the fighters don't train particular skills to use standing/on the ground suited for the particular opponent, or have an idea of how they want the fight to play out, but I doubt they are counting on the fight happening exactly the way they want it to.

TS, you don't understand what Bruce Lee's quote there actually means. Conor, like Bruce, fights naturally and on pure instinct. They didn't/don't "gameplan" what strikes they'd throw or what combos at whatever time, each and every time for a given scenario. There's always going to be 'some' amount of gameplanning involved in fighting to a degree. However, Conor goes with the flow and reacts to whatever is put in front of him spontaneously. You use whatever weapon in your toolbox is most appropriate at the time for the counter, to lead, etc.

I can't edit TS (since I have dubs) but this is something that should give you some insight too (from a former world champion in pro boxing).

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson

Gameplans can be shutdown on a whim or can be completely abandoned, both of which can certainly be out of your control. By having no gameplan/plan and just fighting instinctively then you don't have to worry about your backup plan failing and then freaking out with no other options to choose from.

I can't edit TS (since I have dubs) but this is something that should give you some insight too (from a former world champion in pro boxing).

Gameplans can be shutdown on a whim or can be completely abandoned, both of which can certainly be out of your control. By having no gameplan/plan and just fighting instinctively then you don't have to worry about your backup plan failing and then freaking out with no other options to choose from.

i agree partially, but if you do not have a plan to go back to, then your done. because you can have a free form of fighting but when it does not work, then what happens? there must be a backup plan that you can go back to, when your "free form" is not working.
actually i do believe Mcgregor style is kind of a gameplan:
1. keep distance.
2. keep it standing.
3. throw karate like shots. (machida)
4. if the guy is gassed out or wabbly, finish him if you cannot, go to the ground and submit him.

isn't it a gameplan? or maybe it is to foggy to look outside the hype train.

TS, you don't understand what Bruce Lee's quote there actually means. Conor, like Bruce, fights naturally and on pure instinct. They didn't/don't "gameplan" what strikes they'd throw or what combos at whatever time, each and every time for a given scenario. There's always going to be 'some' amount of gameplanning involved in fighting to a degree. However, Conor goes with the flow and reacts to whatever is put in front of him spontaneously. You use whatever weapon in your toolbox is most appropriate at the time for the counter, to lead, etc.

This.

McGregor also talked about it directly after his fight with Holloway.

Someone asked him if the injury to his knee had thrown him off his gameplan in the fight and he said that the injury is EXACTLY why he doesn't use gameplan in the first place. If you don't have a plan, you can't be thrown off it.

He fights the fight as it happens, and in a lot of ways I can see the benefits of fighting that way. However, I can also see the benefit of fighting GSP style, with a very specific plan.

Whatever works for the individual fighter.

i agree partially, but if you do not have a plan to go back to, then your done. because you can have a free form of fighting but when it does not work, then what happens? there must be a backup plan that you can go back to, when your "free form" is not working.
actually i do believe Mcgregor style is kind of a gameplan:
1. keep distance.
2. keep it standing.
3. throw karate like shots. (machida)
4. if the guy is gassed out or wabbly, finish him if you cannot, go to the ground and submit him.

isn't it a gameplan? or maybe it is to foggy to look outside the hype train.

I think you're confusing yourself slightly when you refer to "free form fighting" as if it's a style/gameplan in and of itself.

It's not as if someone, say McGregor, is going to say to himself "Ok, I'll try free form and then if that doesn't work, I'll start wrestling/striking/using jiu jitsu." The purpose his "free form" philosophy is to use all and any martial arts at any given time. So, he'll try to strike, if that doesn't work he'll wrestle, if that doesn't work he might pull guard and so on and so on. So, in a sense, the only way it "won't work" is for him to just be beaten by a better all round fighter, and in that case no amount of gameplanning is going to save him.

The other possibility is for "free form" to be your Plan A and if that doesn't work, you can still have a "game plan" as your Plan B, if your coaches have highlighted a particular weakness.

However, in the case of someone like McGregor I would think that the very idea of having a Plan B would be almost sacrilegious to him and akin to admitting failure/weakness.

What Bruce Lee meant by that is that it's better to be prepared for all situations than the try to plan how the fight will go. Which is true, but that doesn't mean you can't also plan to exploit someone's weakness, so long as you are also planning for all of the other scenarios.

What Bruce Lee meant by that is that it's better to be prepared for all situations than the try to plan how the fight will go. Which is true, but that doesn't mean you can't also plan to exploit someone's weakness, so long as you are also planning for all of the other scenarios.

true. as long as you don't bet all your cards on that weakness.

for example, it seemed kampmann put all his eggs in takedowns and top control for the condit rematch. condit shored up his TDD in round 2, and picked him apart.

THIS explains everything of why bruce lee said that, but alot of people got it wrong.

Back