Is it possible to win a close round against Jones after he became champion?

I think its similar to boxing, where to be the champ you have to BEAT the champ. This means that you can't expect to win a close round vs the champ, you have to make it clear to the judges.

people rationalize judges decisions based on what they want to see. judges score the fight independent of who is champ. win more rounds, win the fight. plenty of examples of titles changing hands on closed decisions.

The UFC has no say in that except for overseas shows.

Officially no, but the athletic commissions are corrupt as hell. You'd have to be incredibly naive to think everyone follows the rules all the time, and positions aren't influenced by envelopes full of money.

It's long been the case in boxing, and it's the same commissions in charge. Some places are worse than others, Countries like the UK and Germany have absolutely terrible reputations in boxing for corrupt judging. In those countries the "you have to beat the champ" rule applies 10x as much if the champ is British or German.

It's even worse than I thought: One judge gave Jones even the second round! He gave DC the third which made it 49-46 overall. I would give DC the 2nd and the 3rd but I cannot begin to understand how anybody would not give him the second.

Officially no, but the athletic commissions are corrupt as hell. You'd have to be incredibly naive to think everyone follows the rules all the time, and positions aren't influenced by envelopes full of money.

It's long been the case in boxing, and it's the same commissions in charge. Some places are worse than others, Countries like the UK and Germany have absolutely terrible reputations in boxing for corrupt judging. In those countries the "you have to beat the champ" rule applies 10x as much if the champ is British or German.

it's been the case in boxing because promoters had alot more personally at stake. the winner of a ufc fight is always a ufc fighter.

My stream shit out during the third round but I had 1, 4, 5 for Jones. Obviously I can't comment on the third, but unless it was clearly a DC round I don't see why 49-46 is unthinkable.

Yeah I agree since Daniel won the first three rounds of their fight. Bit according to the he judges a sideways oblique kick to the leg is far more devestating then an uppercut to the face.

Funny too they even have their new "advancement" tracker for fights which for some reason gets turned off when Bones back pedals for rounds.

He's lost his title twice so far so yeah you're right ts.

Look the stats, there were no 50-50 rounds in Jones-Cormier. People who can score fights saw a clear 49-46. And the Gus fight wasn't much closer.

You shouldn't ever expect to get the benefit of the doubt as the challenger.

Back