Is it possible to win a close round against Jones after he became champion?

Basically it's the judges' bias. Close rounds go to the champion all the time just by default. So, in order to win a round against any champion you should make it one-sided, otherwise you will lose it. Look at GSP vs Condit. Condit knocked down and hurt GSP with a high kick in the third round, pounded him for a minute, I believe. The rest of the round was GSP's routine point fighting. Guess what? Only one judge gave Condit this round. That speaks to me about how judges are instructed to score title fights.

Judging is awful and has no boundaries. Gus was pecking at Jones for most of the 4th then Jones finishes strong and gets the round? But DC sits there and beats up Jones in the clinch, backing him up to the cage and unloading and finishing extremely strong and still doesn't get the round ? Ok LOL.

Basically it's the judges' bias. Close rounds go to the champion all the time just by default. So, in order to win a round against any champion you should make it one-sided, otherwise you will lose it. Look at GSP vs Condit. Condit knocked down and hurt GSP with a high kick in the third round, pounded him for a minute, I believe. The rest of the round was GSP's routine point fighting. Guess what? Only one judge gave Condit this round. That speaks to me about how judges are instructed to score title fights.

GSP was beating Condit up so bad in that round though, that was like 4:50 GSP domination, 10second Condit.

In both fights that went the distance, the right man got the nod. That's really all that should matter.

That type of scoring has been in place since the early days of boxing, and it ain't gonna change.

You don't get the belt by showing you might be a little bit better than the champ for two minutes in one round.

Basically it's the judges' bias. Close rounds go to the champion all the time just by default. So, in order to win a round against any champion you should make it one sided

Yup.

To be the champ, you have to beat the champ. Boxing is the same. If the round is close enough to go either way, it will go to the champ

How about hendricks lawler 2? 49-46 Lawler? :icon_lol:

Im surprised there are no "DC got robbed! he won 2,3,5" threads lol

but yeah judges have a bias in favour of a champion usually

Scoring is criminal in Jones fights.
DC easily took rounds 2 and 3, don't know how anyone could score round 3 for Jones. Also the first round was close enough to be scored either way. DC could well have won that fight. And it should definitely be 48-47 (not 49-46).

How about hendricks lawler 2? 49-46 Lawler? :icon_lol:

Sometimes it's not just the champions that get preferential treatment from the judges. If judge thinks the promotion would rather Lawler wins, then he's the one they'll give the close rounds to.

Judges know if they play the game, they'll get asked back to do another show. Its a very bad career move to get a reputation for shitting on the guys they're trying to push.

Sometimes the judges motives are obvious. A classic case would be Lawler vs MacDonald. Lawler clearly won 2 rounds, but one the judges figured the UFC wants MacDonald to win, so scored the fight for him.

They gave DC round 2, which I considered close. I had it 50-46 Jones with the second a 10-10. I watched with friends who all wanted DC to win, and only some gave DC round 2. None gave him other rounds.

Sometimes it's not just the champions that get preferential treatment from the judges. If judge thinks the promotion would rather Lawler wins, then he's the one they'll give the close rounds to.

Judges know if they play the game, they'll get asked back to do another show. Its a very bad career move to get a reputation for shitting on the guys they're trying to push.

Sometimes the judges motives are obvious. A classic case would be Lawler vs MacDonald. Lawler clearly won 2 rounds, but one the judges figured the UFC wants MacDonald to win, so scored the fight for him.

The UFC has no say in that except for overseas shows.

I think its similar to boxing, where to be the champ you have to BEAT the champ. This means that you can't expect to win a close round vs the champ, you have to make it clear to the judges.

why would a judge figure the ufc wanted rory to win? and enough for it to matter to him personally?

Back