Is it possible to drop weight and get stronger?

Fuck a six-pack. Get stronger.

And you picked the wrong place to say you don't do squats or deads. No pull-ups, either? What do you do? And how could you possibly expect to get stronger?

I don't do squats or deadlifts.

I was banging this girl in my tub and while I was banging her I was looking in the mirror and my legs at that point got really skinny! Her legs were actually bigger than mine and she was 5"6 about 135-140.

Have you ever considered that perhaps these two things are related?

hot_girl_squat.jpg

Have you ever considered that perhaps these two things are related?

hot_girl_squat.jpg

Thanks for the laugh fucking hilarious! I think I am going to incorporate a squat and deadlift routine into my workout! I could use more strength in my core!

Fuck a six-pack. Get stronger.

And you picked the wrong place to say you don't do squats or deads. No pull-ups, either? What do you do? And how could you possibly expect to get stronger?

I train Brazilian jiu-jitsu and when I lift I do Chest,Back and Shoulders! I also hit bi's and tri's once in a while. I never really hit legs in a routine kind of way. I have squatted and deadlifted before however but it's probably less than 20 times in my life and I have been lifting for 13 years a fairly steady basis.

If your diet is as poor as your lifting routine, then yes, you can lose fat and get stronger at the same time.

step 1: Start a real routine, like a 5x5 or SS or 5/3/1/(stickies).
step 2: Add sprints or Tabatas a couple days a week. If you want to get sport specific, pyramid or 5 minute drills are a great way to go.
step 3: go to the D&S forum and acquaint yourself with Berardi's 7 habits(stickies).
step 4: go HERE and calculate your calories. You can play with macros too if you want. Just create a very slight deficit (200 to 500 calories). Aim for 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound lean bodyweight.

Have fun. This will be tough as shit, but you'll be strong as a mule and look good naked.

You can probably gain strength and lose fat, because you are weak. Get a real lifting routine and a better diet. Your bench press numbers might go down a little.

If only. I shall propose to the mods that if such a thread should ever be created, they will utilize their interwebologic invocations to make it stick to the first page of the forum - as if somehow sticky.

These are great ideas! But, like the TS, I'm lazy too and typing (or reading) the words "frequently asked questions" is a lot of work...we should come up with some type of abbreviation...

You definitely can get stronger and drop weight. I've done it successfully a number of times. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually think its easier to get strong when you're leaner. Fat cells release estrogen. Leaner men have more testosterone, GH etc. Therefore, it makes sense that it can be done.

It also depends on what rep range you're working in.

If you're working in the 12-15 rep range, for example, and you are eating low carb / cal your performance MAY be a little impaired because your are primarily training the muscle fibres in this rep range.

If you're working in the 3-5 rep range, for example, and you are eating low carb / cal your performance is very unlikely to be impaired because your are primarily training the CNS in this rep range - and the CNS is typically less sensitive to cal/carb drops.

You definitely can get stronger and drop weight. I've done it successfully a number of times. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually think its easier to get strong when you're leaner. Fat cells release estrogen. Leaner men have more testosterone, GH etc. Therefore, it makes sense that it can be done.

It also depends on what rep range you're working in.

If you're working in the 12-15 rep range, for example, and you are eating low carb / cal your performance MAY be a little impaired because your are primarily training the muscle fibres in this rep range.

If you're working in the 3-5 rep range, for example, and you are eating low carb / cal your performance is very unlikely to be impaired because your are primarily training the CNS in this rep range - and the CNS is typically less sensitive to cal/carb drops.

facepalm.jpg

Ridiculous parts in bold. Source on all this?

I did it, and continue to do so, but it's mostly fat that's burning off.

its possible for sure. This summer I went from 163 pounds and a max bench of 165 to 148 and a max bench of 175, so it is definitely possibly... I lifted heavy once per week, and otherwise did all calisthenics (push ups, dips, sit ups, chin ups) and added weight when I did them... It all depends on how dedicated you are to your training, and I really do not think it has anything to do with being a beginner to training. Trust me, I wasn't a beginner when I trained a lot this summer... For weight lifting though, all you really are gonna need are a bench press, dumbbells, and a power rack for squats to get stronger... hope this helps :)

Contrary to popular opinion, I actually think its easier to get strong when you're leaner. Fat cells release estrogen. Leaner men have more testosterone, GH etc

fucking lol!

epic post is epic.

My numbers as of right now are Bench press 260 pounds for 3 reps!
Shoulder press 175 for 5 reps!
Pull downs I pull the whole stack down which I believe is 250 pounds or 300 pounds for 5 reps.

I don't do pullups
I don't do squats or deadlifts. Part of the reason is because I am sore from brazilian jiu-jitsu alot and part of the reason is because I am lazy. lol

My main reason for cutting would be to get in shape for bjj tournaments. I have competed twice and got down to 179 pounds and still didn't see my abs! I think I need to get down to 169 pounds to see my abs.

In bjj touraments if I come in at my walking weight than many of the guys are 6"3 and my frame is too small for competing with those guys! Think of Ken shamrock fighting Tito Ortiz.

Not to get off topic here but it kind of sucks because I am 5"10 and if I want a 6 pack I would have to get down to 165 pounds because my frame isn't big I would say. Many girls who are 5"5 with an ass and tits weigh 140 pounds. I remember when I got down to 179 pounds I was banging this girl in my tub and while I was banging her I was looking in the mirror and my legs at that point got really skinny! Her legs were actually bigger than mine and she was 5"6 about 135-140.

Also I think the best guys for cutting are guys that walk around 6"5 260 pounds because even if you cut your still a big guy! Were if your a small guy and if you cut you look like a toothpick!

good god

Funny you ask that question...here is the opinion of one of the lifters in Rippetoe's circle of friends. Watch the Roundtable: Referral clip. Jim Wendler doesn't seem to think you can...and neither does Rippetoe

Starting Strength

when your dropping calories your body uses the fat burned as the energy source opposing the energy you get from food.

yes it's definitely possible. Strength is largely neurological so losing weight really shouldn't effect anything unless your already an elite lifter. Of course it's easier to gain strength on a caloric surplus but it can still be achieved on a deficit as well.

Strength is largely neurological

No. Strength, as in the amount of force a particular muscle can produce is the combination of total cross sectional area of muscle fibers, and the proportion of those muscle fibers that can be activated by the CNS.

Or if you want to view strength in terms of multiple muscle groups acting together to perform a lift, then you add in biomechanical leverages and technique.

facepalm.jpg

Ridiculous parts in bold. Source on all this?

As a matter of fact, in the 12-15 rep range you are mainly relying on glycolysis, so carbs is your main energy source. Generally speaking, if you are not eating enough carbs to keep your stores full, your performance will suffer significantly because of that.

In the 1-3 rep range you are relying mainly on phosphocreatine, not glycogen. Eating low carb but eating adequate protein and calories overall, will not significantly harm your performance.

Back