Is it possible TJ was...

CrazyN8

Custom Title
@Black
Reaction score
Holding back on purpose? I have always thought it would be smart for a fighter that was great to hold back his full skillset if he is able too until he gets the title shot. He really looked like a world beater and that can't have been one camp of improvement.

Bisping is doing that. He'll KO Weidman once he gets the chance.

no man, you need to win every fight to continue - plus there arent easy fights in the ufc

If that was holding back, I want to see him let it all go.

you cant be serious about this ts cause if you are it would have to be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

As in not showing the full scope of his skills so as to have the element of surprise in the title shot...

Highly doubt it. If you saw his trajectory, you saw an evolution from a one dimensional wrestler into a wrestler with very good striking skills. When I saw him in the Assuncao and Easton fights, I honestly thought his striking was coming along even slicker than Mendes' or Fabers'. The speed with which he would string together combinations, his timing it was excellent.

But you saw the development. Some guys are able to really become very well rounded- look at the way werdums striking game and his confidence in it has grown leaps and bounds. Factor in that he probably was hungry as fuck once he made the most of the injury situation that altered the face of UFC 173 and he delivered the best performance with those evolved skills.

Well now, I guess its mot feasible to most here, but if I was getting great and could win easily I might honestly hold back some things if I could so when the shot came there is no.way the champ would know how good I was. Long term planning for sure and I know he wasn't always that good but that just seemed like a hell of a lot of improvement and confidence on that improvement for one camp.

Holding back on purpose? I have always thought it would be smart for a fighter that was great to hold back his full skillset if he is able too until he gets the title shot. He really looked like a world beater and that can't have been one camp of improvement.

Fighters do that. A buddy of had an incredible ground game. Wrestling and JJ. He never used his subs till his 5th fight and his wrestling till a few fights after. He has 2 ten second knock outs so everyone thought he was a puncher and nothing else.

As in not showing the full scope of his skills so as to have the element of surprise in the title shot...

Highly doubt it. If you saw his trajectory, you saw an evolution from a one dimensional wrestler into a wrestler with very good striking skills. When I saw him in the Assuncao and Easton fights, I honestly thought his striking was coming along even slicker than Mendes' or Fabers'. The speed with which he would string together combinations, his timing it was excellent.

But you saw the development. Some guys are able to really become very well rounded- look at the way werdums striking game and his confidence in it has grown leaps and bounds. Factor in that he probably was hungry as fuck once he made the most of the injury situation that altered the face of UFC 173 and he delivered the best performance with those evolved skills.

We saw his improvement on the cage, I'm just speculatung that maybe he improved faster in the gym, and as you stated, held back some for the element of surprise which is the biggest advantage you can have.

like a true saiyan, masking his real power level. brilliant

his striking looked godly in the easton fight also, but no one knew just how good because it wasnt someone as high caliber as barao...turns out his ceiling is very high

Back