Is it ok to punch with the fist vertical?

XDJoeXD

White Belt
Reaction score
It was Stand up class yesterday and i was flaring my punches out like every else does at the gym and my coach tried to get me to punch with a vertical fist again. Is to ok to do that?

I guess technically yeah just as long as the actual impact is on the first two knuckles. The twist at the end delivers more power though.

no, you must be punished

but nah, there's no strict conventions on small things like that.

I don't know, but I just tried to throw a few like that and it felt weird...

well, i know isshinryu style karate has a vertical fist punch (i used to do it), and it worked fine for me. i guess it'll feel funny if you don't do it normally...

my coach told me to do that too but idk it feels awkward

Sometimes boxers will throw vertical punches when there's a space between their opponent's guard where horizontally the glove's too wide but vertically it might slip through and land

I mean there's no rules man - whatever works for ya.

Im guessing not, just as long as your hip, shoulder and leg movement are good.

I think how you learnt / what's comfortable is most important as long as the mechanics are correct.. I hook to the body with a vertical fist but hook to the head with horizontal.. Assume many peopel do it differently ?

The only time my hand is verticle on impact is when I throw a body shot and sometimes hooks.

jabs or straight punches would seem real awkward and seem not to have as much pop if done vertical

Yes it is fine. it is a large part of many styles of Kung Fu and you should be using the lower 3 knuckles for the strike. Classic straight punch.

Yes it is fine. it is a large part of many styles of Kung Fu and you should be using the lower 3 knuckles for the strike. Classic straight punch.

i can't see how punching with the lower three knuckles would be more affective than the upper or frst two

The upper two are good for accuracy such as striking pressure points or during a hook. I was never a fan of the lower 3 until i started to do it. It is the strongest face you can present and the force is more evenly distributed along the arm. Keep punching with the top two and they will break. I know I have done it. Both have thier place but in this particular circumstance as a vertical fisted punch the lower 3 are the best to use.

i can't see how punching with the lower three knuckles would be more affective than the upper or frst two

But in real life when the person/thing you're trying to strike is moving and bobbing to avoid you, connecting only with certain knuckles is almost impossible anyways. :icon_neut

I can see your point about a moving opponent but it is in the style of the punch too. You are either consciencly using the top two or bottom 3 while lining up and judging the punch. For the vertical punch it is the strongest in both punch and the line all the way up the arm. Hundreds of years of Gung Fu cannot have gotten it too wrong.

I can see your point about a moving opponent but it is in the style of the punch too. You are either consciencly using the top two or bottom 3 while lining up and judging the punch. For the vertical punch it is the strongest in both punch and the line all the way up the arm. Hundreds of years of Gung Fu cannot have gotten it too wrong.

how is the style of the punch different? BTW im not tryina piss on u but I have never trained a more traditional martial art, but i am interestd im not jus hating. I mean when you fight someone who moves well hitting them with any part of your fist is often hard enough lol.

That is where speed and accuracy and a truck load of practice come in. The punch is generally best for the stermum type punch. As for the style of punch it depends on whether you are looping it first to put them off and have to make corrections at the last moment. It is a mental choice that can be changed at any minute. The top two are slightly easy for snap punches and the bottom three tend to be better for the pumelling type punch. And yes someone who is good at evasion will anoy the hell out of you if you have a specific thing in mind for them. Let me know if you are still confused.

But in real life when the person/thing you're trying to strike is moving and bobbing to avoid you, connecting only with certain knuckles is almost impossible anyways. :icon_neut

azy answered for me :icon_chee better than i could have explained it

That is where speed and accuracy and a truck load of practice come in. The punch is generally best for the stermum type punch. As for the style of punch it depends on whether you are looping it first to put them off and have to make corrections at the last moment. It is a mental choice that can be changed at any minute. The top two are slightly easy for snap punches and the bottom three tend to be better for the pumelling type punch. And yes someone who is good at evasion will anoy the hell out of you if you have a specific thing in mind for them. Let me know if you are still confused.

Yeah I can understand it for a sternum type punch, or visualise. lol. I train with gloves on, hence the whole idea of using specific knuckles being very foreign to me. :)

Hold your arm out straight, hold your fist vertical, note how it feels, hold it horizontal, note how it feels. Then just let your hand and wrist relax and re-make your fist, where is it? Vertical or horizontal? I think you'll find its closer to ~45degrees. The most natural, comfortable and strongest angle for your fist.

Back