Is it necessary to present the fighters martial arts background during introductions?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
High level MMA is so refined these days. Tyron Woodley the wrestler just KOed Lawler. As a matter of fact, Woodley has never really used a wrestling heavy attack in the UFC.

That's just one of many other examples of well rounded UFC fighters that are fighting differently than his/hers supposed background.

I think instead of announcing the fighters background, Buffer should present the amount of finishes in a fighters career.

Edit: Unique fighters like Wonderboy get's a pass

Last edited:
Didn't Joe Martinez do that? Gosh we need Martinez on the mic.

Its a bit redundant but cool for guys like maia.

I think its cool.you get to know more about the fighter.

Jon Jones is a Look See Do fighter.

Imo its very important to understand the fighters paths .... as long as they promote it as such ... if its just marketing , i dont give a f*ck

why not? It's an interesting fact that can give a casual fan some idea of what to expect.

Considering where the UFC started its cool to maintain its roots a little.

It started as a showcase of art vs art so I like to see the tradition continue

Yeah it's an anachronism TS, everyone they introduce is an MMA fighter now and has been for a long time.

What is even less necessary is for the man who checks their gloves and pats them down etc. to command fighters to hug their cornermen before the check. Ok so he doesn't have to check again in case they secretly passed the fighter a knife, or apply vaseline again. It just seems less than wholly necessary.

As long as it's accurate I don't mind; This man is a lay and pray fighter..

How else would you know Yve Edwards does thugjitsu?

pretty sure the fighters pick what buddy says there background is , i would imagine there proud of there background , A guy in Strikeforce was announced as trained in the art of (Face Punch Foo) LOL.

Its still accurate for WMMA.

Yeah it's an anachronism TS, everyone they introduce is an MMA fighter now and has been for a long time.

What is even less necessary is for the man who checks their gloves and pats them down etc. to command fighters to hug their cornermen before the check. Ok so he doesn't have to check again in case they secretly passed the fighter a knife, or apply vaseline again. It just seems less than wholly necessary.
Oh i cringe everytime the vaseline guy command a fighter (Nate Diaz, UFC 196) who clearly don't wanna do the hugging shit

Back