is it legal hunting and killing mountain lions, bears and wolves in the US and Canada?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by dragonsfly, Sep 14, 2020 at 3:55 AM.

1. The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion Double Yellow Card

Yeah, I tried bear once and it was not nice. Rogan always bangs on about how great bear and mountain lion meat can be, on JRE, with certain guests. I can't picture it personally.

2. SalvadorCollie Purple Belt

Wolves should be hunted, they were reintroduced. Used to only have to worry about coyotes killing calves, seen some nasty cow corpses the past few years.

Haven’t worked a ranch in over a decade, but I’m constantly reminded of the impact they’re having in northern OR.

Uber_Noober and chosey whales like this.
  3. jericksen5 Black Belt

I love that modern humans have been hunting for sustenance for 300,000 years. Yet it took one generation to believe Disney movies are real, for suddenly hunting to be considered “evil and barbaric”.

Grocery stores shut down for 3 days and some of you would be sucking D for candy bars.

4. Uber_Noober Silver Belt

Colorado has 4 bear seasons for legal hunting.
    https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGameDatesandFees.aspx

Bear Sept. (over-the-counter and/or limited)
    Sept. 2–30*
    Bear (1st season) (over-the-counter and/or limited)
    Oct. 10–14
    Bear (2nd season) (over-the-counter and/or limited)
    Oct. 24–Nov. 1
    Bear (3rd season) (over-the-counter and/or limited)
    Nov. 7–13
    Bear (4th season) (over-the-counter and/or limited)
    Nov. 18–22
    Bear Private-Land-Only (over-the-counter)
    Sept. 2–Nov. 22*

TR0UBLE SH00TER and Badger67 like this.
  5. TR0UBLE SH00TER BLACK LIVES MATTER IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

First, hunting any animal, even predators is highly regulated by the government and is only allowed in accordance
    with research done by research biologists and game management. There can most defiantly be such a thing as to
    many predators in a region. Many people like you just have a knee jerk reaction to seeing these hunting photos
    and videos without ever realizing the invaluable role that hunters play in the population management of animals.
    This goes for the African big game animals people cry about too. You probably don't want any hunting and think
    predators will maintain the balance alone. Bambi hit you in the feels, huh?

Also, many hunters eat the bear and Mountain Lion meat they hunt.

Second, these (23) countries make up the continent of North America
    1. Antigua and Barbuda (Caribbean)
    2. Bahamas (Caribbean)
    3. Barbados (Caribbean)
    4. Belize (Central America)
    5. Canada
    6. Costa Rica (Central America)
    7. Cuba (Caribbean)
    8. Dominica (Caribbean)
    9. Dominican Republic (Caribbean)
    10. El Salvador (Central America)
    11. Grenada
    12. Guatemala (Central America)
    13. Haiti (Caribbean)
    14. Honduras (Central America)
    15. Jamaica (Caribbean)
    16. Mexico
    17. Nicaragua (Central America)
    18. Panama (Central America)
    19. Saint Kitts and Nevis (Caribbean)
    20. Saint Lucia (Caribbean)
    21. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (Caribbean)
    22. Trinidad and Tobago (Caribbean)
    23. United States of America
    24. Technically Greenland too, but we won't get in to the politics of that here
    [​IMG]

You've made a very uninformed thread here TS.

Uber_Noober likes this.
  6. TR0UBLE SH00TER BLACK LIVES MATTER IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

[​IMG]

7. TR0UBLE SH00TER BLACK LIVES MATTER IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

This is fake news.

8. TR0UBLE SH00TER BLACK LIVES MATTER IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

Reminded me of this:

Thank you, I needed a good laugh!

9. Omegaboy13 Sweepin' Your Leg

Just got a gift of 30ish pounds of elk, antelope, and muley meat. Gonna eat it all in one sitting in rememberance of @dragonsfly 's manhood, which I took, like a conqueror.

Thrawn33 and Uber_Noober like this.
  10. TR0UBLE SH00TER BLACK LIVES MATTER IS A TERRORIST ORGANIZATION

Do you know where your Big Mac meat originates from you blessed heroes of nature?

Warning graphic videos:

These city boys haven't a clue about the cruelty involved in modern industrial meat production.

Uber_Noober likes this.
  11. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Admit that you made the thread to place the word "ungulate". Admit it.

misterfurious likes this.
  12. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

I think he was being ironic.

13. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

<Neil01>

14. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Wait that means going on a farm, killing an animal and having the farm process it ?

15. shunyata Red Belt

I can't speak for the rest of the world but in the US yes there are places that do that. This is specifically for bison though, cattle usually are not slaughtered in the field.

While cattle are often transported to a slaughter house, bison are usually killed in the field as they can't be corraled and loaded onto a truck without massive stress and freaking out (they still have more of the wild instincts than beef cattle).

16. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Ok I get going on a ranch / farm to get your meat directly (much more ethical than industrial trash for mass consuption).

But killing it on your own? So you essentially have your game cornered against a fence or something and you shoot it? WTF is the point outside of the joy of killing? Let' s be serious.

17. shunyata Red Belt

The original topic started with me replying to someone who expressed that they would love to canned hunt a bison but thought it was too exotic of a goal at this point in life. They also expressed loving bison meat and wanting to get a bunch.

I explained that farm raised bison in the US are slaughtered one at a time, in the field, with a firearm, and that if you talk to a bison ranch they might be willing to let you come in for a field kill if you're buying a lot of meat (like half or more of the bison being culled).

Simple as that. Homeboy wanted to be able to shoot a bison and go home with a ton of bison meat. I explained this fantasy of his is not that exotic and is actually very doable in the US right now.

But he's going to need extra freezers to store the meat.

While the kill is an experience itself, as long as one has the freezer capacity and the money for the buy in the meat is going to be extremely economically effective compared to market prices.

"Traditionally, when you buy meat in this way the price is set based on hanging weight. So here is an example: A two and a half year old bison weighing 715 pounds is chosen for harvest. Once slaughtered, the carcass hanging weight on this animal will be approximately 400 pounds (715 lbs. x 56%). A quarter share of this carcass would weigh 100 pounds. Once the bison is butchered, there will be about 60 pounds of meat in a quarter share (100 pounds of carcass x 60%). The price for the quarter of bison is $7.50 per pound of hanging weight x 100 pounds or $750. We pay to have a mobile slaughter professional come to our ranch and harvest the animals. The customer pays the cut and wrap fee. The current processor we use charges $0.70/lb./hanging weight for butcher wrap. The cut and wrap fee for a quarter would be: $70 (100 pounds hanging weight x $0.70/lb.). The total cost for the quarter of bison meat in this example would be $820 ($750 + $70). The cost for a half or a whole bison is also $7.50/lb. of hanging weight.

About 17% of the meat will be steaks, 55% will be ground bison, 25% will be roasts (which can be made into jerky, sausage, or made into ground meat or stew meat if roasts are not desired), and 3% will be other (short ribs and ox tail). If you would like a variety of cuts, buying in bulk is definitely the most economical option.

In addition to meat, customers buying bulk also receive proportional amounts of stock bones and organ meat at no additional cost. Bones are great for making stock and soups and organ meat are some of the most nutrient dense parts of the animal. Customers buying quarters or halves will receive proportional amounts of the liver, heart and kidneys. Those customers buying a whole bison will also receive the tongue and the rocky mountain oysters (if available). Customers buying a whole bison also have the option to receive the head and hide (unprocessed) for an additional cost."

https://greenfieldsbison.com/products/#:~:text=The cost for a half,bison is also $7.50/lb.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 8:26 AM
  18. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Throwing my apanyent

Dude I am 100% behind the idea in general, for the animal's sake, the meat quality, the economics of it, etc. DOn't get me wrong.

Just saying that wanting to kill the animal yourself in this context, as opposed to asking the rancher to do it for you, is purely for the joy of killing, that's it.

shunyata likes this.
  19. shunyata Red Belt

Oh of course. Any canned hunt is all about the act of culling, with or without trophy photos or physical trophies.

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP likes this.