is it legal hunting and killing mountain lions, bears and wolves in the US and Canada?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by dragonsfly, Sep 14, 2020 at 3:55 AM.

1. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

Yes its legal some places

Yes some people do eat them. At least bears and lions. Not sure about wolves.

You dont want to many of any of those species running around or they will ttash an ecosystem then eat each other

shunyata and the ambush like this.
  2. oldshadow Steel Belt

It's looks like TS has lived in a city all their life and knows nothing about game management .

Hunters actually support wildlife unlike most anti hunters.

Uber_Noober, Iroh, revoltub and 5 others like this.
  3. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

Yeah I have nothing against people hunting for food. How could I when I eat meat? Shooting and killing a living, sentient animal for sport or for trophy is absolutely disgusting imo.

As far as the animals you asked about TS, it depends on if they’re endangered in the region or not. I know you can’t shoot black bears in Colorado, but I know you can shoot Grizzlies is Alaska. I’m not sure where you can shoot wolves though. I’m pretty sure they are not doing well anywhere in the United States

4. shunyata Red Belt

If you're eating a cougar, legally or not, it better be for some ritual shit to take it's power.

Cats taste terrible, so stringy.

Late summer bear meat though, hell yeah.

Gutter Chris likes this.
  5. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

Lol

I heard rinella say its like pork. I never had it and eating cat seems weird to me. Ive never had bear i liked either.

Wildest animal on my hunting wish list is cape buffalo or bison but ill probably never take either due to the costs to hunt and process a beast like that

6. shunyata Red Belt

You don't need to get exotic to buy a canned bison kill and take home half of it after buying and setting up 3 new freezers to handle the meat. Plenty of farms in the us would set you up.

Gutter Chris likes this.
  7. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

I should do that. I never thought about buyin it like that but i eat it whenever i see it so i know its out there.

Thats some damn fine advise. Buffalo steak is the shit and ive thought for about 20 years now that i need more of that in my life. Picked up the taste for it on a trip to the black hills.

chosey whales and shunyata like this.
  8. Omegaboy13 Sweepin' Your Leg

During the pandemic there was a local Bison rancher here begging people to buy some meat from him because he lost his supply chains. I think he was shipping it somehow too, I'll tey to find it and PM you if I do.

9. shunyata Red Belt

Find a farm and give em a call. See what they offer for butchery services. Set up freezers beforehand. Smoke some of it. It's often pretty cost effective per pound if you can store it all, but if you're buying half of a 1200 lb bison the buy in will be for 600 lbs.

You can start smaller for sure, but if you want them to let you in on the field kill it's usually not for just a few steaks.

Bison chili is outstanding.

Usually make it with bacon and a bit of ground duck.

Mean Farmer and Gutter Chris like this.
  10. Gutter Chris Circus Ninja Southwest Voodoo Wizard

Yea please do if hes still in need of clients. Be great if we can help each other

Mean Farmer and shunyata like this.
  11. hohner Steel Belt

You do you, bud.

Omegaboy13 likes this.
  12. hillelslovak87 Steel Belt

I'd be willing to be the people doing these hunts are the same rich assholes from cities and the suburbs looking for a thrill, not legit hillbillies.

Same dickless douchebags that do canned hunts like Dick Cheney and his friends......

13. Ezekiel 25:17 Purple Belt

We don't have enough food in North America so we have to hunt everything. It's the nature of things. The circle of life.

14. Rozko Black Belt

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/wolf/index.html
    Wolf reintroduction has been a massive success in WI. It has gotten to point that selective hunts have been issued with state wide limits to keep the packs in check. They are starting to setup ranges outside of the North Woods and move in populated areas. These packs are attacking livestock and causing hell for farmers.

Blayt7hh likes this.
  15. misterfurious Green Belt

Southwest, around the Badlands

16. Jackie Blue Gold Belt

With cougars, it's illegal to hunt them in California, I'm assuming because the population is at least somewhat endangered there. But overall, their conservation status is of least concern, meaning they are far from being an endangered species.

American black bear are plentiful and 28 states have hunting seasons for them. Brown bears and grizzly bears are not an endangered species either. And there is utility in ensuring that apex predators are not overpopulated.

Hunting of wolves is much more restricted for good reason. It mostly occurs in Alaska from helicopters. Hunting of wolves in the upper Midwest was allowed for a few years in 2012-14, but was banned by a federal court in December that year.

Mean Farmer likes this.
  17. frye666 Black Belt

In Canada, bear and wolf and coyote etc depends on keeping a level playing ground. Some years it is open season, some years it is banned.

18. sverre054 The Juggernaut Viking Platinum Member

On the Salish Sea, in the republic of Cascadia
    Most Bear taste disgusting. If you get a young spring bear, out of hibernation, that's been eating berries and other plant life, then it's ok. Otherwise kinda taste like bad pork, but takes on the taste of whatever they have been eating. Almost any trophy bear, will taste horrible.

Jackie Blue and Mean Farmer like this.
  19. JoeyJoeJoeJr Black Belt

Hunters are just pussies trying to compensate

20. Mean Farmer The next size up.

Couple of things I see being said here.
    First canned hunts are almost always game that is raised to be harvested much like the beef and chicken you eat. The animals will meet the same ends regardless and they know know different as you would know if you've ever stood on a kill floor.
    Second is that hunters are pussies compensating. On the contrary hunters are well rounded outgoing individuals who have absolutely no need for compensation.

I myself very much enjoy the effort to seek out a couple of doves to bring home and make a meal I'm unable to purchase. And I take pride in protecting local livestock from being worked by coyotes to the tune of 30-50 per year. I'll leave the bobcats and rare mountain lion as they are seldom an issue in the Midwest. The catfish pulled in are delicious and bass are entertaining.

Look if it's not for you that's fine and I get it but don't mistake it for weakness or compensation because you're just wrong. Meet a hunter and find out for yourself and you'll find some of the very best people you'll ever meet. The same can't be said for those who stand in judgement.

Uber_Noober and Jackie Blue like this.