Is it just me? Or is it impossible to disrespect this sport?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by jimmy dakine, Jan 19, 2015.

1. jimmy dakine

jimmy dakine Orange Belt

Mixed martial arts is perhaps the most noble sport in our sports crazy society. MMA is about honor.

But there seems to be some sort of double standard going on here. Ask Conor if he is respectful of MMA and he will surely say yes, yet his actions are very disrespectful to his opponents, and to the sport itself. Yeah, yeah, yeah, self promotion, i know all about it. But is there any point where self promotion ends and disrespect begins, or is anything allowed?

Does disrespect even exist? And what would Conor have to do to cross over the line. I thought it made a circus of MMA when he jumped the fence but no one said a word.
    I don't think everyone needs to follow the code of the samurai, but does anyone think you can be honorable and a clown at the same time?

I feel some boundaries need to be set or is MMA resembling pro wrestling ok with everyone?

Opinions please.

2. Dayuum

Dayuum Orange Belt

But MMA is one big commercial circus. Have you forgotten pride?

3. Street Level

Street Level Black Belt

On the mend but skipping physical therapy
    I think people take the sport too seriously. I would rank it between frisbee golf and darts on the "nobility scale".
    Its actually a sport for poor people-you don't even need a ball and you can literally get picked out of the crowd if a guy didn't show back in the day and instantly be a "pro".

4. Degen Gambler

Degen Gambler Silver Belt

The shit talker will inevitably have to make the walk to the cage. There, he will either be exposed or prove himself. As long as someone is willing to make that walk to the cage who am I to say they are disrespecting the sport?

5. Gatts

Gatts Green Belt

Different strokes for different folks.
    I'm glad there's variety.

6. brian12

brian12 Brown Belt

If you disrespect the sport they send Fedor out to beat your ass. So no, its not possible to disrespect the sport.

7. yookfarb

yookfarb Red Belt

Get over yourself TS

This is prize fighting, it would be a circus if they showed up to the octagon wearing their pajamas and colored belts.

8. Exarch01

Exarch01 Blue Belt

It's over simplistic to respect anyone who steps into the cage to fight. I don't respect fighters who cheat or fight dirty, and in general, I don't respect people who do or say ignorant shit. Respect and honor is built into most (all?) martial arts, but a lot of fighters lose sight of that when they compete, which detracts from the sport.

9. kflo

kflo Steel Belt

mma is about competition, not honor.

its also about making money.

10. stoops36

stoops36 Brown Belt

I agree TS. Doesn't really seem like there is a line that can be crossed. As long as ur performing well u can pretty much act however you want. Flicking off in the cage, running outside of it to confront someone, smacking someones hand at the weigh ins...

Those r all Conor things but its not limited to just him. The fact that the UFC used the Jones Cormier brawl as a promo for the fight didn't seem very professional to me. I thought it was awesome and it hyped me up for the fight, but I cant see the MLB showing a benches clearing brawl then showing the MLB logo right after it in order to hype up a playoff game or something

11. ib313

ib313 Imagine a Dystopian UFC

One only need to look at the great MMA artists who've gone beyond the sport to become leaders of society.

12. kflo

kflo Steel Belt

you don't think the networks have promoted playoff games off of fights and rough play and cheap shots? hyped hate and rivalries? really?

13. YES Cartwheel

YES Cartwheel Green Belt

In the space between Harold Howard's teeth.
    This just in, PC thread fails.

14. screaminleeman

screaminleeman Red Belt

Well, since the Baltimore Sun newspaper does not report on MMA at all. . . . .

I would say that yes indeed, not only is it possible to disrespect MMA as a sport, the prohibitive extreme vast majority of the Sport media world currently still does!

15. jeremyemilio

jeremyemilio Silver Belt

It's prize fighting, baby.

These guys punch one another in the face for a living.

Try not to forget that.

16. countswagula

countswagula Gold Belt

17. stoops36

stoops36 Brown Belt

hyped hate and rivals is completely different than brawls at a press conference though.

And I think that networks have before but not the company directly. The Jones Cormier fight was a PPV so the ufc is firectly responsible for those promos. When networks like Fox or CBS put out a promo I assume that its the network that's behind the promo, not the entities like the NFL and the MLB.

I could be mistaken on that though so correct me if im way out of line on my thinking there

18. biscuitsbrah

biscuitsbrah Black Belt

exactly. Nothing worse than some dude complaining about the martial arts samurai code.
    Go watch Karate tournaments

19. PlayTheGame

PlayTheGame Purple Belt

Nah, this kind of behaviour is exactly what ordinary people expect of tattooed guys, beating each other up in the cage.

I mean, my mom or my neighbours or my colleagues wouldn't be surprised at all, if I showed them a picture of Conor and told that he likes to insult, troll and flip off his opponents.

A lot of these guys don't act like a noble martial artists because they aren't noble martial artists - they are kids with hard upbringing and little education, pummelling each other for money.

20. MrElbows

MrElbows Blue Belt

It's OK for McGregor to act the fool but if Jones would've did that, man it would've been a shit storm.