Is it illegal for cops to shoot unarmed suspects?

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
All these occurrences of cops killing unarmed young black men has me wondering....is deadly force only justified when the suspect is armed?

I mean, is it okay to shoot someone when they aren't holding a gun or knife? I honestly don't know what police protocol is on this.

No, it's not illegal.

Whether a suspect is armed or unarmed is something discovered through hindsight. If a suspect, for example, is grabbing at items hidden on his person, whether he's armed or unarmed, can be perceived as a threat at the time.

Police do not, nor should they, have to wait for you to pull a gun before determining that you're a threat.

Not saying that there aren't terrible police shootings, there absolutely are. But the point is to determine whether the context of the shooting was appropriate rather than the result.

no, they can say , I thought they were going for their pocket etc etc

plenty of YT vids showing cops shooting unarmed people

All these occurrences of cops killing unarmed young black men has me wondering....is deadly force only justified when the suspect is armed?

I mean, is it okay to shoot someone when they aren't holding a gun or knife? I honestly don't know what police protocol is on this.

No. Imagine a suspect choking someone or the cop.

All they need to say is that they felt threatened. End of debate.

Ever watch the ending of Crash?

I bet they would #blacklivesmatter and other liberals would villanize the cop for racist shooting

No, it's not illegal.

Whether a suspect is armed or unarmed is something discovered through hindsight. If a suspect, for example, is grabbing at items hidden on his person, whether he's armed or unarmed, can be perceived as a threat at the time.

Police do not, nor should they, have to wait for you to pull a gun before determining that you're a threat.

Not saying that there aren't terrible police shootings, there absolutely are. But the point is to determine whether the context of the shooting was appropriate rather than the result.

So, I guess the question is, what is a threat that warrants a cop shooting someone? If some guy pushes a cop, can't a cop just hit him with his stick or do something else to immobilize him, or is that enough for him to shoot the guy.

I mean, I wonder what cops are told in training warrants deadly force.

No. Imagine a suspect choking someone or the cop.

Couldn't he shoot him in the leg though? or crack the guy's head with his nightstick?

It just seems like he doesn't need to shoot him in the head or chest to try and kill him.

Unarmed doesn't mean defenseless.

Alot of people were saying that 'The Gentle Giant in Furgeson MO was unarmed when the police shot him.' Yeah, but that doesn't tell the full stroy. The 'Gentle Giant' was bigger than Brock Lesnar when he fought in the UFC, and he was the aggressor in the fight with the cop. He was shot only after making an attempt to acquire the shotgun in the cop's vehicle.

So, I guess the question is, what is a threat that warrants a cop shooting someone? If some guy pushes a cop, can't a cop just hit him with his stick or do something else to immobilize him, or is that enough for him to shoot the guy.

I mean, I wonder what cops are told in training warrants deadly force.

THat is basically reaching for their gun, so execution is warranted.

Couldn't he shoot him in the leg though? or crack the guy's head with his nightstick?

It just seems like he doesn't need to shoot him in the head or chest to try and kill him.

You can not shoot people in the leg and hitting someone in the head with a asp is considered deadly force.

"I felt threatened"

That line makes any police shooting legal.

PatrickStewartFacePalm.jpg:rolleyes:

One more time for the Hard of Thinking: shooting someone in the leg can kill them just as dead as putting a round in their skull. On of the major arteries is located in the thighs/groin. Sever that and you bleed out fast.

Cops can do almost anything "legally"

Pop quiz hot shots.

Let's just say you are in you home and you have someone break in.

You confront them in the hallway leading to the bedrooms.

You have a gun and point it at them and tell them to stop and get out.

They have no weapon and say fuck you and advance on you.

Are you justified in shooting them?

the answer is yes you are in any sane place

Of course it's not illegal. Cops have every right to protect themselves from dangerous people while doing a dangerous job.

The problems arise when we question how dangerous a particular person was and if the cop had a non-lethal alternative for dealing with that person. Cops do have non-lethal technology on their side so when they opt to use lethal force, it should be questioned. Hopefully, it turns out to be justified but sometimes lethal force is the most appropriate response.

Nope. "he was reaching in his pocket".

And Media, Judge and Jury and white ppl in general believe it.

Lol at some of the posts in here.

Don't play stupid games, don't win stupid prizes.

Pop quiz hot shots.

Let's just say you are in you home and you have someone break in.

You confront them in the hallway leading to the bedrooms.

You have a gun and point it at them and tell them to stop and get out.

They have no weapon and say fuck you and advance on you.

Are you justified in shooting them?

the answer is yes you are in any sane place

Then you raise your weapon at the intruder and you are shot dead. Turns out it was a swat team with the wrong address. you're dead. better luck next time!

Back