Is it harder to be an elite boxer than elite mma fighter

Francis Ngannou is considered elite, and he didn't start training until he was 22, and is now the number one contender.

That could never happen in boxing, that someone starts at 22 years old and becomes elite, even his trainer said do MMA since it was easier to get into
Wilder was 20 when he started and became champ also to a lesser extent danny green was also 20 for his first amateur fight and went on to win some titles. Anthony mundine had his first fight at 25 but was being trained by his dad as a kid and played league before turning to boxing.

floy most definitely isn’t the best ever. He was also retired, middle aged, and about 4 weight classes smaller than mcgregor. Canelo is actually
Neither mcgregor or khabib would last around against canelo. they literally can not win! Canelo would still have a punchers chance in MMA, especially against Conor
floy most definitely isn’t the best ever. He was also retired, middle aged, and about 4 weight classes smaller than mcgregor. Canelo is actually mcgregors size.

Neither mcgregor or khabib would last around against canelo. they literally can not win! Canelo would still have a punchers chance in MMA, especially against Conor

That’s why I said it’s totally different sports. Canelo would not last two minutes with Khabib in an MMA fight either. Sooooo????

18-4 record

MMA = "Upcoming prospect."
Boxing = "He's a bum!"

It's hard to measure. Being elite depends as much as your manager/promoter navigating your career as your technical skills in the sport.

That's all I got.

yup, mma evalues more last fights and fights in large promotions.
mma 10-2 record, he is a prospect.
mma 5-5 record, all wins via KO or submission, all losses on points.
he is entertaining, tough and might be fun to see him. maybe he will improve, he is young.
boxe 5-5 record : he is a journeyman........
boxe 10-0 record with KOs vs bums: he is a prospect with high KO power.

Tommy Speer would have wrecked Calzaghe and Ward if he had went to boxing after failing in MMA.

oh, make no mistake, i think MMA fighters are better athletes, due to the nature of their training.

Ill make a comparison thatll get me lots of shit from Sherdog - I also think Crossfitters, yes, Crossfitters, are better athletes than either olympic weightlifters or olympic distance runners. This is due to the nature of their training. The weightlifters have nearly eliminated their cardio and slow twitch muscle fiber, the Kenyans (yes, there are others) cant carry a bag of groceries for an old lady.

The reward for specializing is a small % payoff in comparison to the cost overall. You see a guy like Froning or Fraser get 400 overhead, and he is a high % of a world class weighlifter of the same weight. He can still run a 5k in 20minutes, which is a damned ways off a Kenyan, but itd win local running events, or place quite high, depending on who shows up. The Kenyan has trouble with the bar, and Pyros Dimas’ huge quads and hours of specialized training is gonna gas him out hard. Fraser is a better athlete. as is the decathlete, say Ashton Eaton, who wouldnt qualify for the Olys in any one of the ten events he spreads his training around.

But the thread question was, “which sport is harder to make it in?” there are countries with programs that are heavily funded and driven nehind those two other sports, and big rewards and acclaim for potential athletes. It is harder to make it in either sport, and in fact, one must be genetically made for it - whereas mma or crossfit allow a wider variety of bodytypes.

Crossfit pays shit, so it's mostly guys who didnt succeed somewhere else (although that is changing, i think) A guy who trained in his garage won four years ago. Its easier to make it, because less people are trying to win at it. You get more repeat champions in a sport like that. Decathlon is different because there are as many vying for that podium as there are in the other two olympic sports (i would guess)

Boxing pays more. If you are good at it, you would be crazy to not pursue it in favour of mma. so more people want that pie. If you cant make it and you have some wrestling, mma is a good backup.

side note - Dana White has put mma back. You cant own your own brand like a boxer, or mma fighter pre reebok deal, and the money just isnt there

unless you are a yappy cunt, which is why everyone is trying that angle. all the guy i ever trained with are like Fedor or Couture - softspoken, modest, good men. but people bend to the money, as would i.

What a hot take? Skip is that You? Cross fit is a sport? More elite than Olympic athletes? LOLZ

Becoming an Elite MMA fighter is easier than becoming an Elite boxer.
You have a better chance at becoming the next Conor McGregor than the next Floyd Mayweather.

You sure sound like someone would know from experience...

It takes you longer to get to the top in boxing, it’s amazing what Lopez has done

It’s a different type of difficulty
Gun to my head , boxing obviously, boxing is a much more specialized form of combat , the more specialized something is the fewer the number of people that are going to be qualified to excel at it .
Mma is much more chaotic, there are so many reasons for you to win or lose on any given night or any moment, so trying to control all of the factors that can go wrong in Mma is of course a problem to take into consideration.
But it’s still boxing

I have heard this opinion before

do you agree?

MMA is harder because it requires a vast skill-set, boxing is harder because it requires a limited skill-set. I've been going back and forth in my head over this. I think limiting a fighter to only hands is harder. But without question boxing is the more competitive sport.

No it is absolutely extremely difficult to be an elite boxer or mma fighter

It’s a different type of difficulty
Gun to my head , boxing obviously, boxing is a much more specialized form of combat , the more specialized something is the fewer the number of people that are going to be qualified to excel at it .
Mma is much more chaotic, there are so many reasons for you to win or lose on any given night or any moment, so trying to control all of the factors that can go wrong in Mma is of course a problem to take into consideration.
But it’s still boxing
makes sense

In my opinion it’s much harder to reach the very pinnacle of boxing than it is MMA. Simply because it’s far more popular. As MMA grows and grows the gap will narrow
I think it always may be harder just because the expertise is more narrow. That doesn’t necessarily mean that boxers are better athletes or anything like that, but it would be harder I think for someone who has a broader skill set to become world class at a narrower discipline than it would be for someone world class at a narrower discipline to broaden a bit and become world class.

Becoming an Elite MMA fighter is easier than becoming an Elite boxer.
You have a better chance at becoming the next Conor McGregor than the next Floyd Mayweather.

And if you drop Mayweather in with Khabib he gets smeshed in 30 seconds. One of the greatest boxers ever would be a bum in MMA.

In both boxing and MMA only a handful of people in the world get to be considered elite. Boxing has a bigger talent pool, so it has the edge.

mma got more complex combinations fight iq plays an extremely important role unlike boxing that takes decades of regular training for NECESSARY muscle memory, because your brain is down syndrome tier pudding by the time you have decent skills and you can no longer use it, your brain is replaced by your coaches + muscle memory. weird af tbh

mma got more complex combinations fight iq plays an extremely important role unlike boxing that takes decades of regular training for NECESSARY muscle memory, because your brain is down syndrome tier pudding by the time you have decent skills and you can no longer use it, your brain is replaced by your coaches + muscle memory. weird af tbh
MMA is wrestling with shit punches. It's not fight IQ. Its rolling around

And if you drop Mayweather in with Khabib he gets smeshed in 30 seconds. One of the greatest boxers ever would be a bum in MMA.

In both boxing and MMA only a handful of people in the world get to be considered elite. Boxing has a bigger talent pool, so it has the edge.
Mayweather with 6 months training pins Khabib for the 3 count.

Back