Is it hard to use the jab in mma like you would in boxing?

morrisondafalln

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know you have to worry about the threat of takedowns and kicks. But I just dont get why the jab is so underutilized in mma. There were a few fights last night where fighters almost had knock downs off straight jabs down the pipe. One fighter almost had a few knockdowns off a jab in a prelim I believe. Rogan even mentioned something about it. Who has the best jab in mma?

The jab was used a lot last night

Kelvin was landing it clean on Israel and Poirier was throwing it out there every time Max tried to close the distance

I'd say Tony or Khabib have the best jabs at LW

GSP did alright with teh jab.

You either have a really good jab or it opens you up for slip and rip. Probably easier in MMA than Boxing.

Wrestlers are main hand focussed, that's why they mostly don't have good jabs. As that's their power hand.

Kickboxers and Thai Boxers train and fight often with thicker gloves which makes the Jab ineffective and often train 50:50 or 70:30 kicks. -> bad jab

Southpaw boxers like McGregor use it to feint, paw and set up the power hand.

Cody has a good one, but his Trex arms makes it dangerous.
That leaves a few fighters with a good jab. GSP perfected his jab under Freddie Roach a boxing coach.
Poirier has striking and a boxing coach and a bazooka for a jab. He also has a boxing base, too.

Fighters with a striking coach and without a boxing coach you can easily spot

the jab is always underutilized, even in boxing

it takes a lot of discipline and composure to maintain a jab when the other guy is trying to take your head off

It's pretty much the safest strike available. Much more difficult to telegraph, much easier to land and not leave yourself off balance or out of position and it's a great tool for disrupting your opponents rhythm while simultaneously allowing you to develop your own.

Id defintely say kicks are a big factor unless it's just a flicking jab.

Planting that foot hard is asking to be leg kicked. Then add the pain level of calf kicks in modern MMA if your weight is on that leg.

Thought I would shake up the usual reasons given like strong side forward and "boxing in MMA sux"

Joanna's jab is godlike. It just doesn't work in some extreme circumstances where the opponent has A) no fear of you and tries to kill you with every swing and B) no fear of you and goes 100% defensive to throw a singular counter strike or body lock. Opponents being Rose and Valentina. Neither is a normal situation for 99.999% of fighters in their whole career.

I know you have to worry about the threat of takedowns and kicks. But I just dont get why the jab is so underutilized in mma. There were a few fights last night where fighters almost had knock downs off straight jabs down the pipe. One fighter almost had a few knockdowns off a jab in a prelim I believe. Rogan even mentioned something about it. Who has the best jab in mma?
Moose has the best jab in MMA.

Did u not watch the main event last night..

Most of poirers success was due to the jab

Touch him with the jab, then throw the overhand right correctly
Mousasi has the best jab in MMA
Khabib has the best jab in the UFC

its hard to do something well

much harder to do something really well and also be great at wrestling, bjj, touchbutt, cardio, broscience, fight promo and modelo commericals all at the same time

but at the end of the day it takes a lot of energy being a rockstar

Cause everyone wants to get flashy KO's and practice fancy shit on pads. Very few will want to put in the work to master fundamentals and learn their chosen stand up craft.

It's much sexier to do flashy combos on pads. Meanwhile you end up freezing and lost in the actual fight when you're flashy stuff does not really work.

BJ Penn and GSP showed how to just basically use a jab to break guys down - Sherk and Kos fights. It's not pleasing to the fans and the just bleed gods.

Jab is my fav punch. I was lanky as fuck as a kid and a south paw..was trained to use it, appreciate it and love it. A good jab wins fights

You do not throw jab. You touch with jab

Its harder because a lot of fights are fought in kicking range

Back