is it fair to say tyson is the greatest boxer thats ever lived?

I'd say he's the most infamous boxer that ever lived, but the greatest is a stretch by far.

Who would win out of Prime Tyson and Prime Buster Douglas?

Oh, wait...

[YT]herKRIrsks4[/YT]

Tyson is the greatest at certain things that ive seen from a heavyweight. He might have had the best combination of speed and power of any heavyweight ive seen, maybe because of steroids though.
He was certainly the greatest at something, if not the greatest resume or longevity and things like that.
He was certainly wiping out a generation of heavyweights more impressively than anyone i know of.

Tyson at his peak i think he deserves top 10 of all time heavyweights.

He certainly was the talk of the town when he was around though and had an aura of invincibility, as far as boxers goes.

Also whenever had a hard day they said "i felt i went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson"
It was like Tyson was the reference point.

ring magazine has him ranked as the top 5 best hws of all time the article is as follows, "tyson is up there will ali, frazier, and foreman we even think he hits harder and more accurate then foreman" now thats a quote. and i dont know how they put foreman ahead of tyson but ok.

Because it's not about what you THINK Tyson can do, its about what he actually did do...

Foreman did much more than Tyson in boxing. Hence he's rated higher. It matters fuck all if you think Foreman can beat Tyson because we can't prove it either way. We only know that Foreman beat the better competition, had a better chin, and had much more heart

No, Tyson fought guys who were out of shape and afraid of him. every time they were not scared shitless, fight went distance, think Mitch Green, Tillis and Tucker.
Of course Buster wasn't afraid, neither was Holyfield. If Evander and Iron Mike fought 100 times Evander whips him in 99, other fight its a close 12 rounder, cause Evander had the flu.

If Cus had not died, then Jim Jacobs and, or Mike never hooked up with Don King, he could have retired undefeated. Because basically he was a protected fighter.

Tyson was indeed exciting, but that doesn't put him anywhere near GOAT status.

Put him up against:

Foreman
Ali
Frazier
Louis
Norton
Liston
et. al

and he doesn't come close.

Tyson made it a point to dodge OLD Foreman.

I would too, Foreman's build and skills were a nightmare for Tyson.

why is boxing the only sport where people don't accept the the rule that athletes get better every generation?

better training, diet, techniques, are people really going to argue that a HW fighter from the 1940's would really have troubled a prime Tyson or Lennox Lewis?

Of all sports boxing is the number one that I wish we could have a time machine and have all the best fighters face each other. Take Mayweather back to the early 80s and the training they did then and face the best guys back then. Or Tyson vs Ali.

I don't think he was best

if he never went 2 prison tho he would have been

Jail isn't necessarily his downfall. It was a combination of D'amato's death, the firing of Rooney (due to Don King), Teddy Atlas walking away and Tyson's own insecurities. All of them gradually of what could have possibly been the greatest HW of all time.

why is boxing the only sport where people don't accept the the rule that athletes get better every generation?

better training, diet, techniques, are people really going to argue that a HW fighter from the 1940's would really have troubled a prime Tyson or Lennox Lewis?

Only a complete idiot would think that HW fighters from the modern era have better technique than the ones from the 40's and 50's

im pretty sure training techniques have improved in all sports over the past 60 years..

What training techniques have evolved in boxing? The heavy bag? Skipping? Running? Swimming? Sparring?

Boxing is grounded in tradition and one of the few sports where the equipment isn't significantly more evolved.

Back