is it fair to say tyson is the greatest boxer thats ever lived?

they most likley were saying that out of respect,Tyson has been through alot and more people like him now that hes humble than before(myself included)

Are you saying that you know more about boxing than McGirt, Stewart, and Roach? I don't think you can make a claim that these guys put him in their top ten because Tyson has "been through a lot?" That's kind of insulting.

Kimura, this is what I was contending earlier. If you meant something else with these words, then so be it.

This is what i meant "Mike Tyson is not a Top-Ten Heavyweight"

Again, whether you agree with them or not, there are boxing historians (as well as trainers) out there that will include Tyson as one of the greatest heavyweights in history. Or is everybody "delusional" because they have a different opinion than you?
Okay i get it i shouldnt have phrased my widely accepted opinion like...
"You wont find a "historian" of the sport,especially trainers that will put him anywhere near the Top Ten Heavyweights of all-time"
It might have been more proper to phrase it like....
"The consensus of most historians of the sport is that Mike Tyson is not a Top Ten Heavyweight"....
but i dont get why your drilling me over the way i said something that is widely considered as the truth!?....
Mike Tyson is not a Top Ten Heavyweight...
maybe i could have said it differently but i feel your picking one sentence out of my post and throwing it in my face and i dont see why thats necessary,Im pretty sure you understood what the point i was trying to express.....

And no, I didn't agree with you by any means with my exact words being "I'm not sure I'd put him in there myself". "I'm not sure" means exactly that...I'm not sure

Well thats fine you dont have to agree with me or be sure if Tyson did enough to warrant a Top-Ten ranking.
But i know that Tyson doesnt belong in the Top Ten Heavyweights of all time based on his accomplishments....

...you yourself can look into a few more things if you like by using the archives for Google News.
Nah....im good...thanx.....good lookin out though..

McGirt and Chavez were only put in the same sentence by me with both being top 5 p4p fighters at the time Whitaker fought them. McGirt was considered 4th or 5th according to the two leading boxing magazines. Chavez was in the top spot obviously. Comparision only ends there with Chavez having the better overall career in my and most peoples eyes. But, at his peak, Buddy McGirt was a very good fighter with a whole lot of talent.

Yea i didnt remember seeimg him in their as he was in and out kind quick,i never liked the way they would boost fighters onto the P4P list if they beat someone unexpectedly,typical example was when Forrest beat Mosley he was thrown in the Top-5 and when Hatton beat Tyszu also when Glen Johnson beat Roy Jones was another example..cant remember if that was the case in Mcgirt maybe you can look into that for me..(if you dont already know?)

Ill concede to the fact i should have worded my post differently and out of respect of our going back and forth keeping it civil i wont edit my post to hide my unfortunate mistake...I said it,i was wrong on the basis that i said you wont find any historians or trainers when in fact i probably should have said most historians and trainers would agree that he isnt a Top-Ten Heavyweight...

This thread doesnt make any sense,even Tyson doesnt think this of himself,hell ill go as far and say you wont find any Boxer,Trainer or anyone involved in the sport that would say this.....just "no nothing" fanboys

He dominated the likes of Berbick,Smith,Thomas,Tucker,Biggs,39 yr old Holmes,Tubbs,Light HW Spinks,Bruno and Carl "The Truth" Williams....
That isnt much isnt much of a division,in fact if you look throughout history it was at one of its lowest points(much like now)

You wont find a "historian" of the sport,especially trainers that will put him anywhere near the Top Ten Heavyweights of all-time....In fact as long as iv been involved with the sport i rarely even hear his name mentioned as a all-timer.........just alot of people on here that look at highlight reels and say dumb $hit like "Aww did you see that!?...that was Awesome!"

Can you please give us your top ten HW's of all-time?

You know the square root of f**k all mate if you think Ray Leonard is not one of, if not the P4P all time great. The man was an Olympic Gold Medallist, 5 Weight World Champ with wins over at least 3 other legends of the sport

Yeah, He beat Hearns, Hagler, and Duran but the first fight against Hearns was the only one that didn't have some sort of BS surrounding it.

He clearly lost the second fight against Hearns and its fighting words in any bar to say he really beat Hagler as well, although that's certainly more arguable.

Leonard was probably the best fighter of the 80's but he doesn't have the achievements of SRR

Tyson was great in his time, but he was figured out and once that happened, the likely-hood of beating him wasn't that far fetched.

Jack Johnson was incredible. He fought back when fights would go upwards of 30 rounds FFS, outside in the heat! Can you imagine Tyson going through something like that?

IMO, I hold Joe Louis as the greatest HW, with Sugar Ray Robinson as the GOAT.

I said 50 boxers you moron! :icon_chee Tyson would be lucky just to be up there in the top 50.

In the HW he wouldn't even cut top 10 like most here have indicated and 99% of the boxing world agree to.

Name 1 great fighter Tyson ever beat? Any great fighter Tyson ever faced he got smoked.

The most notable win on Tyson's record is Larry Holmes....and a very VERY aging Larry Homes at that, but a good win for Tyson nonetheless cause he still had some skills even though he was ancient.

But the rest of Tyson's wins is a list of whose who of nobodies like the Atlantic City Express who got KO'd by Tyson's "air"

Did Tyson have good skills? yes. Good chin? yes? Did he ever beat anyone worthy no...but he beat a lot of mediocre guys in impressive fashion

Oops, you got me. Guess that's what I get for talking smack, right?:redface:

As to the rest of your post, I don't think it's fair to downgrade Tyson because he didn't fight the all-time great HWs, I mean he could only fight whoever was available, and it's not like he ducked anyone. I just feel that his skillset at his peak makes him a handful for any great HW at thier peak and he absolutely makes the top ten all-time. Obviously he's not the GOAT but I still think top 50, even across all weight classes. I think it's a tragedy that so many people only know Tyson as a burned out ex-convict.

Anyway, reasonable post on your part, my bad on the shit-talk, and I freely admit that I'm a huge Tyson nut-hugger.:D

Last edited:
He's not even in the top ten.
Although I don't really do lists, I'd have trouble putting him in the top ten HWs, let alone boxers.

He was good and exciting, but some of his weaknesses were pretty huge. When you have the bully style and you're that weak mentally, a slick boxer can pretty much allow you to defeat yourself.

Yeah, sure. That's if you ignore respected trainers likes of Freddie Roach, Manny Steward, Buddy McGirt and Miguel Diaz who all thought Tyson was a top ten heavyweight of all-time. McGirt ranked him 7th all-time. Roach ranked him 8th. Steward ranked Tyson 10th. Diaz had him slotted in the 2nd spot.

A few years ago the 40+ members of the IBRO also got together and compiled all-time divisional rankings. Tyson finished 13th overall. Would have certainly have garnered his share of votes for a top ten spot from those "historians" in order to have finished that high in the rankings.

Whether you agree with them or not, there certainly are "historians" and "trainers" who think Tyson was a top ten heavyweight. Maybe only speak for yourself next time?

Good lord! Nice ownage. I hate people who talk purely out of their butt. Nice boxing knowledge.

Other way around there roses n guns. There are many quotes you can find that states Tyson's camp thought big George was a terrible match-up for Tyson even in his 40's.

I also think it's reasonable to post 10 heavyweights that had better resumes than Tyson. Though I do think Tyson is around 10 and no worse than 15.

Ten heavyweights I think are greater than Tyson (in no order):
Ali
Lewis
Holmes
Dempsey
Marciano
Foreman
Frazier
Johnson
Louis
Liston

Others in his range:
Jeffries
Walcott
Patterson
Norton

That's all I got off the top of my head.

I also think it's reasonable to post 10 heavyweights that had better resumes than Tyson. Though I do think Tyson is around 10 and no worse than 15.

Ten heavyweights I think are greater than Tyson (in no order):
Ali
Lewis
Holmes
Dempsey
Marciano
Foreman
Frazier
Johnson
Louis
Liston

Others in his range:
Jeffries
Walcott
Patterson
Norton

That's all I got off the top of my head.

That's a pretty good list. I might move Smokin Joe ( sacrilegious since I'm from Philly:icon_twis) and Holmes down and pull up Jefferies and Walcott. Either way all the top guys are present. Mike Tyson was certainly a "GREAT" finisher, maybe the best of all time. I just can't see placing him in my top ten.

Tyson was great in his era. He would of been a handfull for any 70"s ERA champion and i dont want to hear otherwise. Tyson was FAST,POWERFULL and threw hydrogen bombs with both hands. I would love to see ALI rope-a-dope tyson for 5 rounds. Takiing nothing away from formans power. Tyson Threw fast,percise, and devistating combos unlike forman. I dont know i feel tyson could snatch 1 from ALI.

He's not even in the top ten.

ring magazine has him ranked as the top 5 best hws of all time the article is as follows, "tyson is up there will ali, frazier, and foreman we even think he hits harder and more accurate then foreman" now thats a quote. and i dont know how they put foreman ahead of tyson but ok.

Okay i get it i shouldnt have phrased my widely accepted opinion like...
"You wont find a "historian" of the sport,especially trainers that will put him anywhere near the Top Ten Heavyweights of all-time"
It might have been more proper to phrase it like....
"The consensus of most historians of the sport is that Mike Tyson is not a Top Ten Heavyweight"....
but i dont get why your drilling me over the way i said something that is widely considered as the truth!?....
Mike Tyson is not a Top Ten Heavyweight...
maybe i could have said it differently but i feel your picking one sentence out of my post and throwing it in my face and i dont see why thats necessary,Im pretty sure you understood what the point i was trying to express.....

So pretty much he should have assumed you knew what you were saying was incorrect, and should have known you meant something completely different.

Tyson benefited from a weak heavyweight division and fighters who were either past their primes or scared shitless of him, or both.

Im going to keep my answer short on this one. No.

Tyson benefited from a weak heavyweight division and fighters who were either past their primes or scared shitless of him, or both.
This.

Tyson has a great highlight reel, but lacks a win a over a great fighter that wasn't way past his prime.

Back