1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

is it fair to say tyson is the greatest boxer thats ever lived?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by roses n guns**, Oct 6, 2010.

1. OLD RIPPER** White Belt

Are you saying that you know more about boxing than McGirt, Stewart, and Roach? I don't think you can make a claim that these guys put him in their top ten because Tyson has "been through a lot?" That's kind of insulting.

2. Gooch Monster*** Blue Belt

Gamboa's the best, he'll be known as the greatest once he's finished

3. Kimura77 Orange Belt

This is what i meant "Mike Tyson is not a Top-Ten Heavyweight"

Okay i get it i shouldnt have phrased my widely accepted opinion like...
    "You wont find a "historian" of the sport,especially trainers that will put him anywhere near the Top Ten Heavyweights of all-time"
    It might have been more proper to phrase it like....
    "The consensus of most historians of the sport is that Mike Tyson is not a Top Ten Heavyweight"....
    but i dont get why your drilling me over the way i said something that is widely considered as the truth!?....
    Mike Tyson is not a Top Ten Heavyweight...
    maybe i could have said it differently but i feel your picking one sentence out of my post and throwing it in my face and i dont see why thats necessary,Im pretty sure you understood what the point i was trying to express.....

Well thats fine you dont have to agree with me or be sure if Tyson did enough to warrant a Top-Ten ranking.
    But i know that Tyson doesnt belong in the Top Ten Heavyweights of all time based on his accomplishments....

Nah....im good...thanx.....good lookin out though..

Yea i didnt remember seeimg him in their as he was in and out kind quick,i never liked the way they would boost fighters onto the P4P list if they beat someone unexpectedly,typical example was when Forrest beat Mosley he was thrown in the Top-5 and when Hatton beat Tyszu also when Glen Johnson beat Roy Jones was another example..cant remember if that was the case in Mcgirt maybe you can look into that for me..(if you dont already know?)

Ill concede to the fact i should have worded my post differently and out of respect of our going back and forth keeping it civil i wont edit my post to hide my unfortunate mistake...I said it,i was wrong on the basis that i said you wont find any historians or trainers when in fact i probably should have said most historians and trainers would agree that he isnt a Top-Ten Heavyweight...

4. OLD RIPPER** White Belt

Can you please give us your top ten HW's of all-time?

5. Shot Brown Belt Platinum Member

Yeah, He beat Hearns, Hagler, and Duran but the first fight against Hearns was the only one that didn't have some sort of BS surrounding it.

He clearly lost the second fight against Hearns and its fighting words in any bar to say he really beat Hagler as well, although that's certainly more arguable.

Leonard was probably the best fighter of the 80's but he doesn't have the achievements of SRR

6. Iron Mang I keep planets in orbit, baby!

Tyson was great in his time, but he was figured out and once that happened, the likely-hood of beating him wasn't that far fetched.

Jack Johnson was incredible. He fought back when fights would go upwards of 30 rounds FFS, outside in the heat! Can you imagine Tyson going through something like that?

IMO, I hold Joe Louis as the greatest HW, with Sugar Ray Robinson as the GOAT.

7. DavidHungus Banned Banned

Oops, you got me. Guess that's what I get for talking smack, right?:redface:

As to the rest of your post, I don't think it's fair to downgrade Tyson because he didn't fight the all-time great HWs, I mean he could only fight whoever was available, and it's not like he ducked anyone. I just feel that his skillset at his peak makes him a handful for any great HW at thier peak and he absolutely makes the top ten all-time. Obviously he's not the GOAT but I still think top 50, even across all weight classes. I think it's a tragedy that so many people only know Tyson as a burned out ex-convict.

Anyway, reasonable post on your part, my bad on the shit-talk, and I freely admit that I'm a huge Tyson nut-hugger.:D

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  8. Astro Man Kid Blackie

Although I don't really do lists, I'd have trouble putting him in the top ten HWs, let alone boxers.

He was good and exciting, but some of his weaknesses were pretty huge. When you have the bully style and you're that weak mentally, a slick boxer can pretty much allow you to defeat yourself.

9. timintex2 White Belt

Good lord! Nice ownage. I hate people who talk purely out of their butt. Nice boxing knowledge.

10. OLD RIPPER** White Belt

Kimura77 next time you check in I would be interested in your top ten.

11. roses n guns** Banned Banned

and why did foreman dodge tyson since 1988?

12. Crazy Canuck Purple Belt

Other way around there roses n guns. There are many quotes you can find that states Tyson's camp thought big George was a terrible match-up for Tyson even in his 40's.

13. Crazy Canuck Purple Belt

I also think it's reasonable to post 10 heavyweights that had better resumes than Tyson. Though I do think Tyson is around 10 and no worse than 15.

Ten heavyweights I think are greater than Tyson (in no order):
    Ali
    Lewis
    Holmes
    Dempsey
    Marciano
    Foreman
    Frazier
    Johnson
    Louis
    Liston

Others in his range:
    Jeffries
    Walcott
    Patterson
    Norton

That's all I got off the top of my head.

14. OLD RIPPER** White Belt

That's a pretty good list. I might move Smokin Joe ( sacrilegious since I'm from Philly:icon_twis) and Holmes down and pull up Jefferies and Walcott. Either way all the top guys are present. Mike Tyson was certainly a "GREAT" finisher, maybe the best of all time. I just can't see placing him in my top ten.

15. IRONFIST Orange Belt

Tyson was great in his era. He would of been a handfull for any 70"s ERA champion and i dont want to hear otherwise. Tyson was FAST,POWERFULL and threw hydrogen bombs with both hands. I would love to see ALI rope-a-dope tyson for 5 rounds. Takiing nothing away from formans power. Tyson Threw fast,percise, and devistating combos unlike forman. I dont know i feel tyson could snatch 1 from ALI.

16. roses n guns** Banned Banned

ring magazine has him ranked as the top 5 best hws of all time the article is as follows, "tyson is up there will ali, frazier, and foreman we even think he hits harder and more accurate then foreman" now thats a quote. and i dont know how they put foreman ahead of tyson but ok.

17. Steak** Red Belt

So pretty much he should have assumed you knew what you were saying was incorrect, and should have known you meant something completely different.

18. aldeniro78 Who cares

Tyson benefited from a weak heavyweight division and fighters who were either past their primes or scared shitless of him, or both.

19. JMyersDTN Sherdog Writer: Joseph Myers

Im going to keep my answer short on this one. No.

20. Tha_MMAn** Banned Banned

This.

Tyson has a great highlight reel, but lacks a win a over a great fighter that wasn't way past his prime.