is it ever okay to hit your kids?

of course, foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, and the rod of correction will drive it away

now if your hitting your child more than you are loving on them then there is something seriously wrong, I find with my kids that the few times I have to discipline them im stern and spank them so they know I mean business

now just a look and they know to behave, but to get violent like punching them in the face or knocking them out is going too far

This thread brings the lulz with bad science, anecdotal data, and bias.

Are there any blinded, randomized controlled trials on spanking versus beating versus no corporal punishment? No? That's because this kind of study can never be performed.

All studies on spanking are survey and epidemiolgic studies prone to substantial bias and error. Half of all these study designs draw the WRONG conclusion. For example, these studies typically pool together spanking with beating because these definitions are subjective and difficult to separate in this study design. The truth is that nobody knows the true effect of limited spanking or judicious spanking.

Personally, I believe I don't believe in corporal punishment and believe the foundation of discipline should be deescalation and cognitive reasoning. That being said, you know modern society has become a bunch of pussies. All these parents who thought coddling their kids would make them happy has in the long run made them sad.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/face-it/201111/do-we-all-deserve-gold-setting-kids-fail

http://archive.azcentral.com/families/articles/0302fam_overindulge.html

It's ridiculous that people think not spanking or hitting your kids means you just let them act like little shits with no consequences. Kids absolutely need discipline, it's just that hitting them isn't a good form of discipline.

Not shocking. As adults we aren't allowed to hit each other as a form of discipline, hell we're not allowed to hit animals.

i say no. violence is never the answer if you're trying to teach someone to be moral. and it sickens me when i hear people talk about being hit when they were kids as if it's some badge of honor. you had shitty parents. sorry to break it to you.

As adults we aren't allowed to hit each other as a form of discipline, hell we're not allowed to hit animals.

lol, sherdog where bullshit reigns supreme. your comments are not true and wrong

violence is WIDELY accepted in our society. proof:
you can kill a home invader in many states/countries
death penalty is accepted in many states/countries
almost every country has gone to war and participated in killing others
many countries use corporal punishment to deal with those who violate their laws (caning, etc)
many countries use torture to obtain their goals

PS. you are allowed to animals in public (i.e. spank them gently on the butt); you just can't beat them. hell, you're even allowed to hit your kids (if i gently swat my kids butt), you just can't beat them. (yes, definitions are subjective)

Lol i dont know. I was a very bad kid though. Have you ever watched "The good son" with Macauley Culkin? I was evil like him.

"OK......let's see......is it happy spoon...or saaaad spoooon.....yeees I think it's SAD SPOON!....get over here NOW!"

Kinda creepy lol.

Violence breeds violence. If you hit your child and you have more than one, expect them to be violent towards each other and others as they were taught by their father to strike someone who does something they don't like.

If that were true, wouldn't kids have been more violent in the 50's 60's, etc when spanking was the norm? As opposed to now when they shoot each other in the face?

Given that 100's of cultures over 10s of 1000's of years, probably a lot longer, have spanked kids to some degree or other, I find it hard to believe it's all that terrible.

Given that hundreds of cultures over tens of thousands of years and probably a lot longer have engaged in slavery to some degree or other, I find it hard to believe it's all that terrible

Do you see now why the appeal to tradition is a dog shit argument?

"OK......let's see......is it happy spoon...or saaaad spoooon.....yeees I think it's SAD SPOON!....get over here NOW!"

Kinda creepy lol.

Didnt exactly work, it only made me extremely angry and I would plot revenge. Started boobie trapping my bedroom. Once I taped a bunch of tacks to my floor, metal point up, and waited for my mom to walk on them (which she did).

Dont mess with insane children.

I hope you realize how silly this position is. If you can explain to them, with words, in a way they understand, what was the point of the spanking in the first place?

I love when people say "well uuhhhh some kids only learn through spankings". So how does your kid learn anything in school without the teacher backhanding him everyday?

There are rare times that children, and even adults, start to lose focus and get out of control, where words of reason don't and won't affect them.

This is when it's acceptable to fill the room with uppercuts.

Except with kids, you fill the room with spankings and time outs.

This isn't some controversial thing. If you have kids, or have spent any amount of time caring for children, you will come to realize that there are times when physical intervention is the only way to stop whatever is going on, especially after getting blue in the face trying to tell them to stop, to no avail.

Given that hundreds of cultures over tens of thousands of years and probably a lot longer have engaged in slavery to some degree or other, I find it hard to believe it's all that terrible

Do you see now why the appeal to tradition is a dog shit argument?

Not quite the same argument though is it?. I'm not saying it morally right just because it's traditional.

The point is, are we to believe that all children, all over the world, for thousands of years right up to this point, have all grown up terribly damaged by spanking? The fact of the matter is that's clearly not the case, previous generations (like our parents, grandparents etc) etc were every bit as well balanced as kids are today, quite probably more so from what I've seen. In fact if the science is to be believed, kids today are suffering more mental illness than ever.

I notice that in Sweden they are worried by the ever increasing levels of adolescent depression, eating disorders, self harm etc and yet they outlawed spanking a while ago. It doesn't seem to me that spanking is a huge issue and that people should be worrying about other things that appear to be making their kids unhappy later on.

Yes. Nothing excessive but I think it's cool.

Not quite the same argument though is it?. I'm not saying it morally right just because it's traditional.

It's quite literally the same line of logic.

"Because we have always done it, it can't be the bad."

That's what your argument is. The rest of your conjecture is useless when the base is so intensely stupid.

My father never hit me. My mom gave me some ass kickings with slippers and the broom.
My dad spanked me, but was completely passionless when doing so. He is one of those people who is never bothered by anything. My mom actually assaulted me multiple times until I was about 14 and told her in no uncertain terms that if she touched me again, she was going to sleep. She was also verbally abusive. Shit, once on Christmas, she threw a metal chair at me. She's half Sicilian. Those with Sicilian relatives will understand is normal.

But my dad later apologized to me for spanking me when I was a child. He said it was wrong and he shouldn't have done it. My mom never apologized for all the physical and verbal abuse and won't even admit it happened. My little brother even witnessed all of it and told her that. She still won't admit it.

It's quite literally the same line of logic.

"Because we have always done it, it can't be the bad."

That's what your argument is. The rest of your conjecture is useless when the base is so intensely stupid.

No it's not the same and I explained precisely why.

I won't repeat myself and I'm not going to interact with you any further as you appear incapable of expressing yourself without being unpleasant.

My dad spanked me, but was completely passionless when doing so. He is one of those people who is never bothered by anything. My mom actually assaulted me multiple times until I was about 14 and told her in no uncertain terms that if she touched me again, she was going to sleep. She was also verbally abusive. Shit, once on Christmas, she threw a metal chair at me. She's half Sicilian. Those with Sicilian relatives will understand is normal.

But my dad later apologized to me for spanking me when I was a child. He said it was wrong and he shouldn't have done it. My mom never apologized for all the physical and verbal abuse and won't even admit it happened. My little brother even witnessed all of it and told her that. She still won't admit it.

so many tears now. :(

No it's not the same and I explained precisely why.

I won't repeat myself and I'm not going to interact with you any further as you appear incapable of expressing yourself without being unpleasant.

The logic is exactly the same.

You trying to worm your way out of your own words isn't interesting to me.

So, you know.

Bye.

Yeah we do.

Every argument in favor of hitting children is weak.

but so is every single piece of evidence against judicious corporal punishment. oh wait...none exists.
all data on spanking pools spanking with beating
all data on spanking is the lowest quality evidence: survey and database evidence

PS. i've already stated, i personally do not support, endorse, or believe in corporal punishment for my kids; but i am not so arrogant to believe that my opinion and shaky low-quality data justifies telling other parents that judicious spanking is wrong.

Back