is it ever okay to hit your kids?

Imalive

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Personally I think yes. child abuse is never acceptable and people who physically abuse children should be buried beneath the prison but I believe there are reasons to hit your kids.

My son is too young now but I do plan on teaching him with spankings when he gets old enough. I'm not going to hit him as a form of discipline but to teach him the severity of his mistakes when he does something extremely dangerous. If he does something like run into the street I'm going to spank him good. I want him to be some what traumatized by it so he will know and remember the severity of what he did. I want him to know that what he did was so bad the man who gives him a hundred kisses and a hundred hugs a week and has shown him nothing but unconditional love was concerned and mad at what he did he hit him.

What's the point of having kids if you can't smack them around. Also don't hug your son so much it's weird

The short answer is no.

The long answer is go fuck yourself I'm not your psychologist.

Story.
Was maybe eight, ma stopped by the qwik-e mart, left me in the shitty convertible. That "hammock" in the back created by material gave me a great idea, surprise her when she comes back!
So I crawled in there, and waited for the moment, and promptly fell asleep.

Woke up to see cops everywhere, calling my name. Ma was next to the car, talking to an officer. I decided to spring my surprise.
I got out, tapped her on the arm and shouted "Surprise!!"

She backhanded me in the chops so hard a tooth came out.
In later years this would have drawn charges. Instead, the cops looked me they wanted to line up for their turn at me.

She was justified, imo.

Violence breeds violence. If you hit your child and you have more than one, expect them to be violent towards each other and others as they were taught by their father to strike someone who does something they don't like.

Violence breeds violence. If you hit your child and you have more than one, expect them to be violent towards each other and others as they were taught by their father to strike someone who does something they don't like.
Not true.

Not if you explain what the transgression was and why it earned the response.
Spankings are their own argument against the behavior.
So far with my daughter I've only had to use words.

Mixed feelings about this.

I guess in an emergency situation where if you don't correct their behaviour straight away they may bring immediate danger to themselves. But to me, hitting your own children is a sign you have failed as a parent. That is not to say I am against punishing kids. There are creative ways to punish kids that are far more beneficial and educational than physical pain can accomplish.

Not true.

If you hit your kid for doing something wrong, you don't think they'll do the same to others if they feel they've been wronged?

A child growing up will learn behaviour from those closest to them.

my brother has 4 sons aged 18 months to 8 years old

he has only used spanking on 1 of the kids...and the couple of times he did spank the kid was when the kid was about 2 years old and started to run into the street

he used the spank as a "Scare tactic", to instill an instinctual fear of going in the street
spanked the kid another time when he entered the pool area when told not to

he never used spanking on the kid bc the kid acted up or was misbehaving....he used spanking as a preventative measure and precaution

why only on the one son and not the others.....the other kids were good listeners....the kid who got spanked was not a good listener but was very physical and only understood cause and effect in the physical sense so he had to adjust his methods appropriately

all the kids are fine and dont get spanked at all....the kid that did get spanked is the most athletic, but least academic of all the kids

If you hit your kid for doing something wrong, you don't think they'll do the same to others if they feel they've been wronged?

A child growing up will learn behaviour from those closest to them.
No. If you abuse your child yes, they will probably think violence is okay but there is a difference.

Hitting with a closed fist? Fuck no.

Spanking their shit when they do something wrong? It worked, for me.

A lot of kids, who don't recieve physical reprimand, grow up to be whiny snowflakes, who are disobedient, little miscreants, that have poor discipline. Only speaking from personal experience, but I believe spanking is fine, when done in the right way, such as explaining what they did wrong, afterwards.

yeah its ok if you dont go overboard. a little spanking is fine.

There's hitting your kid and then spanking your kid . . . not the same thing IMO.

Not if you explain what the transgression was and why it earned the response.
Spankings are their own argument against the behavior.
So far with my daughter I've only had to use words.
I hope you realize how silly this position is. If you can explain to them, with words, in a way they understand, what was the point of the spanking in the first place?

I love when people say "well uuhhhh some kids only learn through spankings". So how does your kid learn anything in school without the teacher backhanding him everyday?

I'll fucking powerbomb a kid through a table if that little fucker comes home and for gay der Jesus.

My father never hit me. My mom gave me some ass kickings with slippers and the broom.

I hope you realize how silly this position is. If you can explain to them, with words, in a way they understand, what was the point of the spanking in the first place?

I love when people say "well uuhhhh some kids only learn through spankings". So how does your kid learn anything in school without the teacher backhanding him everyday?
It's not silly at all.

Back