Is it even possible to get rid of guns in the US?

Laugh my fucking ass off.

The U.N. military is a joke without the United States.

I'm sure we'd just sit back and let some French and Canadian soldiers kick our doors in and take our guns.

Good fucking luck.

I'm on your side of the issue.

If UN troops proceeded directly from their ship/plane to the nearest cemetery & dove head first into freshly dug graves they'd survive longer than if they tried to proceed with their mission of disarming the American populace.

How is it possible? Logistically, I mean. You can't go searching every person's house.

Lets assume all the responsible gun owners stash their guns. Because they're responsible law abiding citizens, they never take them out because having a gun is now a crime. (Hypothetically guys)

Violent crime and gun crime would still happen, but gradually, the majority of guns used in those crimes would be confiscated (after the fact), gradually reducing the rate of gun ownership among criminals, until they start stashing their own firearms.

Less guns in the public eye, less school shootings, less gunpoint robberies.

Eventually you have a generation who grow up in a different culture (50 years like you say), where guns are scary and illegal. Eventually, the cons of having the stashed guns outweighs the pros for this newer generation, and they quietly dispose of them or anonymously donate them to museums.

Its a culture change, like you say it may take 50 or even 100 years to completely eradicate guns, but it is "possible".

All of that being said, I don't like the idea of being a victim in the mean time. I'd much prefer a gun culture to a nanny-state culture or a victim culture. Spree shootings are horrible but banning guns is not the answer. I know this isn't a political thread but I just thought I'd put the disclaimer in there so there's no confusion on my position.

Yes, it is possible.

But undoing 200 years of gun culture doesn't happen on a dime.

Undoing over 250 years of freedom bequeathed by genius men aka Founding Fathers is not going to happen except via prying from dead cold hands of real men.

Save the gun stealing to men who sit down to piss.

For the sake of discussion, has this been done successfully in any other country? So there's atleast a comparable example?

Australia is always quoted as a gun control success story. However, Australia didn't entirely ban gun ownership outright, nor did they have personal liberty and gun ownership so deeply ingrained in their culture as the USA. The culture and attitude towards firearms is completely different.

Violent crime and gun crime still happen, but at a much lower rate. Australians know that if they are confronted with a gun, they will most likely have nothing to defend themselves with, and they accept this as the price of a relatively gun free society.

For the sake of discussion, has this been done successfully in any other country? So there's atleast a comparable example?

Jim Jeffries in his standup routine mentioned that Australia took away their guns. I might have to do some googling to find out more.

We had a successful gun amnesty in my country about 20 years ago after a large massacre. This was for fully and semi automatic weapons, seemed to be quite successful but who knows how many weren't handed in of course.

Also Australia doesn't have the gun culture of the US so I don't know how successful that would be over there.

-Anti-Gunners say that governments never turn against their people. (Idiocy, very poor understanding of basic history)

I've redacted your intervening clause, which some anti-gunners do say, and left this claim, which I've never heard out of anybody on the left.

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"

-J.R.R Tolkien

The gov will never actually take your guns, they'll just quit selling ammo to the public. They're already testing the waters with .22 ammo. The general public never ceases to amaze me. Gun rights have been an increasingly heated topic for some time now....but an ammo shortage? Totally unrelated.

The gov will never actually take your guns, they'll just quit selling ammo to the public. They're already testing the waters with .22 ammo. The general public never ceases to amaze me. Gun rights have been an increasingly heated topic for some time now....but an ammo shortage? Totally unrelated.

I just picked up some. Walmart hasn't had .22 LR for months.

Undoing over 250 years of freedom bequeathed by genius men aka Founding Fathers is not going to happen except via prying from dead cold hands of real men.

Save the gun stealing to men who sit down to piss.

Ego much?

You would have to do away with hunting and thats not happening. For conservation reasons as well as economic reasons.

You would have to do away with hunting and thats not happening. For conservation reasons as well as economic reasons.

People would have to hunt with bows. Of course then we'd open ourselves up to bow-related violence. Drive-by archery, movie theater archings, kids bringing quivers to school...

I would assume this would not include hunting weapons. I'd wager a license is required for those though in "gun free" countries. You still have pest control etc.

People would have to hunt with bows. Of course then we'd open ourselves up to bow-related violence. Drive-by archery, movie theater archings, kids bringing quivers to school...

A kid actually went to a community college where his dad was teaching a class and put a crossbow bolt through his head like 2 years ago.

I mean hannibal killed 100,000 romans in like 6 hours with basically pointy sticks, and long knives(longswords weren't even invented yet). So people can kill lots of people with anything.

Guys in Russia sit in trees and spear bears dead with one shot for Christ's sake,

as someone said, it'd be much much easier to stop the selling of ammo. guns are never getting ganked here, people that love guns in the US like really, really really love guns. it's a lil weird to be honest, but whatever.

you'd have a better chance banning tobacco or alcohol than you would guns, they're that ingrained into our culture, which is saying something because molasses and tobacco were two of the main components of the Triangle Trade our country was largely based off in the colonial period....

If there is an attempt to disarm the American public a war will break out. If it happens, I hope it does before I'm too old to fight back.

The crowd on this site is much different from others and there are many people who would take up arms if it does happen. I suspect the amount of foreign members on here want everyone to be as powerless as they would be if the government started pushing their shit in. Fuck that.

would be ironic if the pro-gun side lost a civil war because they all got shot by the anti-gun side.

I hate how the left side of the political spectrum has been by default considered anti-gun and the right side by default is pro-gun. Why can't I be considered a liberal and be pro-guns and vice versa?

As far as the question. The only way way to get rid of guns in America would lead to the total destruction of the country.

Back