Is it even possible to get rid of guns in the US?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Just for a second, forget about your feelings on whether they should be banned or not, and let's ask if it's even possible to get rid of them at this point.

I mean there's millions of guns in this country. If they were banned tomorrow, there would still be millions of guns in this country. And the people who had them would now horde them, hide them, lock them up, etc.

When one gun owner dies, his kids or grandkids would inherit his guns. The only hope would be that the grandkids don't value them very much and they turn them in for concert tickets or whatever. But even with this, it would take 50 years or more to even make a dent in the level of gun ownership.

I'm just not sure how it's possible. I suppose if the govt did a good job of banning ammunition, then everyone would eventually fire off the ammo they currently have and wouldn't be able to buy more. Then maybe it would only take 30 years instead of 50 to make a dent.

Yes, it is possible.

But undoing 200 years of gun culture doesn't happen on a dime.

Your question is pointless because if they outlaw gun ownership it would trigger an American insurgency, if not all out civil war. Then the issue would be resolved one way or the other a lot faster than 30 years...

Your question is pointless because if they outlaw gun ownership it would trigger an American insurgency, if not all out civil war. Then the issue would be resolved one way or the other a lot faster than 30 years...

would be ironic if the pro-gun side lost a civil war because they all got shot by the anti-gun side.

An attempt to confiscate guns would lead to a war.

Also, America has become far more friendly to the right to bear arms in the past few decades. Momentum is headed in the wrong way for those who disdain an armed citizenry.

Yeah, if you kill me and everyone who thinks like me, and pry it from my cold dead fingers.

You could potentially, but you would have to fight.

Thing about guns is once people have them you can't simply "take them away".

I say send our anti gun politicians door to door to collect them. And see what happens.

would be ironic if the pro-gun side lost a civil war because they all got shot by the anti-gun side.

-Pro-Gunners say they need guns to protect from a government infringing upon their rights.

-Anti-Gunners say this is ridiculous, and that governments never turn against their people. (Idiocy, very poor understanding of basic history)

-Pro-Gunners will never voluntarily surrender their arms.

-Anti-Gunners would require a government crackdown in order to seize arms from pro-gunners. The very thing Pro-Gunners say they need their arms to protect against.

No, gun loving Americans love their guns more than anything. Including family, friends and faith.

The conventional wisdom among conspiracy theorists is that a U.S. gun-grab would be accompanied by UN troops to carry it out. I don't see it happening though.

For the sake of discussion, has this been done successfully in any other country? So there's atleast a comparable example?

The conventional wisdom among conspiracy theorists is that a U.S. gun-grab would be accompanied by UN troops to carry it out. I don't see it happening though.

Laugh my fucking ass off.

The U.N. military is a joke without the United States.

I'm sure we'd just sit back and let some French and Canadian soldiers kick our doors in and take our guns.

Good fucking luck.

Rip may love Jesus more than anything, but the rest of you love your guns more than anything.

Of course its possible but I suspect it would require an unreasonable amount of money, manpower, and infringement on civil liberties to do it quickly.
An attempt to confiscate guns would lead to a war.

Also, America has become far more friendly to the right to bear arms in the past few decades. Momentum is headed in the wrong way for those who disdain an armed citizenry.
Its one of the debates the right has won in this country. Once the gun control legislation following Sandy Hook failed I knew the issue would be put to rest for some time. Before then every time someone got shot the debate was reignited and 2012 was a particularly bad year in terms of mass shootings, or at least media coverage of mass shootings, and yet the following year there still wasn't enough political capital to get gun control legislation passed.

Back