Is it even possible to get grime out of gi collars?

Nozza

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've tried everything I can think of:

Soaking in Oxy-clean type powder
Same stuff poured on neat to damp collar
Stain digester soaked for 24 hours
Shout spray
Vanish stain remover bar
Sports wash
Biological washing liquid rubbed in and then machine washed

Is there a magical formula for getting the yellow grime out of gi collars?

Bleach would probably do it but that's going to damage the cotton. Take it to a professional cleaner or just live with it - as long as the gi is clean nobody is going to be bothered by a stain on your collar.

No, you want that there. It's how you show your years of dedication. If you wash your gi, you wash away all the years of hard work.

Didn't you know the gi was invented by a Shinto god and that as a student learns, the color of their gi changes from white, to dingy pit stain yellow, and up through black. That's how the black gi was created thousands of years ago.

Bleach would probably do it but that's going to damage the cotton. Take it to a professional cleaner or just live with it - as long as the gi is clean nobody is going to be bothered by a stain on your collar.

Yup.

As long as you wash it after practice, and your gi doesn't smell like you just pulled it out of your taint, no one's going to care.

edit: You should see the knees and back of my "white" gi. They're permanently grey now. All of the OxiClean, SHOUT, and detergent in the world can't get those stains out.

I've tried.

Last edited:
I like my worn in, grimey looking gi's the best. I always feel a bit self conscious wearing a brand new, perfect looking gi for some reason.

Rub some dish soap into the grime, soak it in the following mixture for 30+ minutes: water, detergent, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide. Then brush the grimey areas with a toothbrush and agitate with your hands. Very effective in my experience.

The easiest way to get rid of "ring around the collar" is to wash your neck more.

Why does anyone care what their gym gear looks like?

Not sure where anyone has got the idea that it's about caring what others will think about it.

Something comes out of the wash with a stain on it I tend to try to find something to get rid of it. For instance I've found that the oxy spray we have will remove all blood stains perfectly and with no effort. So I use that before it goes it. I could not bother and have lots of old blood stains on it but I'd rather it white.

So if there's something I can easily spray on it and it'll go I'll use it.

Dont get white gis? I once tried to have my gi come of white new after every wash, it didnt lasted crap.

So i only use detergent now, i add oxy if i get blood stains.

Bleach. It'll weaken the fibers, sure, but even with weekly bleaching my first gi lasted more than a year before a rip.

Not sure where anyone has got the idea that it's about caring what others will think about it.
It's a possibility dood. I was just addressing it in case that was it...

Something comes out of the wash with a stain on it I tend to try to find something to get rid of it. For instance I've found that the oxy spray we have will remove all blood stains perfectly and with no effort. So I use that before it goes it. I could not bother and have lots of old blood stains on it but I'd rather it white.

So if there's something I can easily spray on it and it'll go I'll use it.
I know the Oxi spray you're talking about, and it seems to work on everything EXCEPT white gi grime.

You can try Paul B's thing, though. Besides that, the only other thing is bleach, as long as you don't mind the fabric weakening over time.

Dont get white gis? I once tried to have my gi come of white new after every wash, it didnt lasted crap.

So i only use detergent now, i add oxy if i get blood stains.
Also this.

Unless you train at a place that only wants students to wear white gis.

Ah, young grasshoppers...there is a better way.

Rit makes a powder called "White Wash." It's found with their dyes. It's an alternative to bleach. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT. I accidentally dusted some up when I poured it into my first batch and almost coughed to death...it's heavy stuff.

Yooooooooou're welcome.

Back