Is it easy to cut the cord?

I wanted to do this badly but after putting the internet with the streaming services the price was similar. They really get you by the balls and I know i could just torrent things but that isn't an option for me in the field I work in. 100 bucks a month isn't worth my career haha.

Once you start adding streaming services it quickly adds up to what you were paying before. You can steal all your entertainment and save money that way, I guess.

I just got Comcast down to $130 after taxes and fees for internet and cable. It’s essentially paying $20 for cable. Worth it for me as I watch a good amount of sports.

I used to have Sling. It was cool.

I got a secret website that has streams all these channels

Depends who you are I guess. I wouldn’t

that's insane, you get a monthly blowjob for those prices?

i haven't had cable in about 8-9 years. I have the internet, Netflix, and DAZN, which i honestly barely use since i stopped watching football. It's not even as much as the money but the freedom you get when you come home and dont automatically park your ass in front of the tv watching reruns of some bullshit ass show.

As somebody deeply offended intellectually by what I see on TV it was easy for me to cut the cord. I have my movie collection and Netflix.

Thought this was gonna be about your grandpa or something.

take a cutting tool
cut the cord
?????
profit

I thought it was either about suicide or moving out of moms basement.
Now I am kinda disappointed here.

There was no cutting what so ever!!!

Just went through this last week. Comcast skyrocketed my bill to 220 from 150, and was going to increase it again in a year to 245. Ended up with ATT fiber (jury's still out on that) and hulu live + disney bundle (get Prime for free for all the $ wife gives to Jeff Bezos and crew). Overall bill of 160 + change. ESPN+ seems a joke. I thought you got UFC PPV's for free, but then realized you only get access to them (wasn't a big reason for the switch). Takes a bit to get used to switching from app to app, but I'll live.

Depends on your personality. I haven't had cable in about 20 years now. My entertainment is games, music and movies. If I want to watch a movie, I'll buy the Blu-ray/UHD and watch it. I've never been one to just come home, plop down on a couch and just watch whatever is on.

YouTube is my TV these days whenever I want to watch something outside of movies. There's enough content on YouTube alone to keep you busy and entertained for years. If you are a TV person, I could see it being hard to get rid of it. For me, it was easy and I have never missed it. I did get a TV tuner for my PC though and an antenna for the rare situation where I may want to catch something on local TV like a sports game, awards show or something of that sorts.

It's a bit of an off-topic post this, but I'd rather go completely without entertainment then pay money to those paedophile-harbouring bastards at the BBC.

I don't really watch much TV anyway. I have Prime but I rarely use it (only for free delivery and the odd movie with the girlfriend), though I'd like to watch more world-cinema shows and Prime doesn't really have them. I'd also like to watch more cultural and world documentaries.

In terms of things like BBC, ITV, C4, Sky etc...my father once had Sky and all that was on was 1000 channels worth of pure shit.

I kind of miss sitting on a comfortable sofa and watching TV, but those moments were so rare in the past that I don't regret not watching it.

I'm happy with Netflix and Youtube on a smart TV. But I can see how people get bored of Netflix. I'm not a huge watcher but already I feel like I've covered most things I want to cover. Library needs to be bigger imo.

I miss some sports. But I'm not paying it. Too expensive.

I got rid of cable last year. Only have internet and use streaming services and if you have a smart tv. Look into Pluto TV.. it’s free and a lot like cable. It’s pretty much taking over now. Also if you can use a browser on your TV or Game console you can pretty much watch anything including PPVs for nada.

4yrs now since I cut that fucking cable.

I would only watch TV for less than 20 minutes every weekday morning when I would get out of the shower & get ready. just to hear the traffic report at 7:08am. that's it. & I'd be paying $120 a month. fuck Time Warner & their shitty ass service.

think of it this way - cable TV is primitive. you can only watch it when you're at home, you can't take it with you everywhere you go. that's why channels/networks have their own apps, trying to keep you invested with their brand & content at all times.

& then comes the internet (RE: piracy). everything is literally available online if you know where to look, all at your motherfucking convenience.
I was going to say something similar while trying to tiptoe around sounding like a douchebag. 6 years ago, I moved to a different province for work and haven't had cable since. That being said, it was supplanted by the internet, which is why I don't miss it. I've been on an unlimited data plan since then, so I still consume a lot of media.

It just depends on the individual. I would love to cancel my Dish, but still haven't found a streaming service that will work for me. For one, I want a guide and I want "live TV". I have no interest and searching thousands of random movies/shows on countless different platforms, spending a half hour just deciding what to watch. That's why we never use Prime anymore. Problem is , none of the live streaming options offer all of the channels I want. I did try Hulu, within 2 hours I was done with it. Navigating around what they call a "guide" is a pain in the ass. Sling doesn't even offer local channels. I may try Youtube TV, but I won't hold my breath.
Until these streaming services can streamline their user interface, cable and satellite will continue to be the better, yet far more expensive, option for people like me.

You need to renegotiate your bill. It largely will depend on what internet alone is vs. with cable. At one point through Comcast, it was actually cheaper to have internet + cable vs. internet by itself.

In the end, it really depends on how much you watch TV. With 5 in our household, we have decided to keep cable. We only pay for Netflix and ESPN + beyond that. We do have Prime, but I don't count that as paying extra as we use it mainly for the shipping advantage.

I haven't had cable since 2010. Only had it for about a year on a deal with at&t.

I honestly don't see the point in having cable these days. With so many streaming services out there. We only have Netflix and Amazon. With our new phone plan we got Hulu free for a year. But we don't watch it because it has commercials.

I don't watch much tv anyway.

Back