Is it crucial for boxing to have audiences in arenas?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The fighters don't need the audience to box and the audience don't need the stadium to watch them box.

Why can't we get on with business here? They lose money either way. Why is it incumbent on this sport to have a live audience in stadiums?

There's this thing called revenue

Part of that revenue, is from live gate.

And realistically where are they going to fight at the moment?

Is it really worth the bullshit.....

There's this thing called revenue

Part of that revenue, is from live gate.

And realistically where are they going to fight at the moment?

Is it really worth the bullshit.....

And part of that is pay per view. Now they get nothing, for months.

And part of that is pay per view. Now they get nothing, for months.
Ppv isn't going to sell right now

10s of millions of people are on unemployment and not really worrying about a fuckin 75 dollar boxing match

Nobody gets knocked out good enough today

Get real son

They should go fight by themselves. In the woods, with nobody else around

10s of millions of people are on unemployment and not really worrying about a fuckin 75 dollar boxing match

Get real son
Yeah, PPV sounds not rralistic atm.
Smaller fights with fighters that earn only a moderate purse and are on TV/Dazn and not ppv could still generate money, the limited amount of people that you'd need to test wouldn't be that high and with no sports on tv the ratings would be pretty good.
Having big fights right now is not possible, they'd loose a lot of money, unless top fighters would be willing to fight for a fraction of what they are usually earning.

The fighters don't need the audience to box and the audience don't need the stadium to watch them box.

Why can't we get on with business here? They lose money either way. Why is it incumbent on this sport to have a live audience in stadiums?
i thought about that, who knows, maybe that's what they'll start doing. It does seem weird though, a live audience is part of the energy fighters give out, i'm sure. this corona shit is fucking up everything, big things and little things. I have to wonder if we're being had here, I really don't know if it's that serious but it's still very early.

Get real son
how are the people in your neck of the woods doing financially? The people here, i don't know how they are financially but everyone is on edge and snapping on each other over silly shit. Being as I was just doing delivery, i never had it so easy from a financial perspective, lighter traffic, grateful customers are leaving huge tips. My biggest worry, honestly is my family and friends, i want to call up friends from long ago and make sure they are ok but i don't want to creep them out. Just tonight I texted one to see how he's doing. My bro and stepfather both do have what the docs have been calling "comorbitities" and so i worry, it's an unknown. For myself? I honestly do not worry, I guess i've just been through a lot so it doesn't effect me like it effects others.

I feel like there's a distinct possibility that Fury will go into his cyclic depression when this thing blows over and Wilder won't be able to redeem himself

I feel like there's a distinct possibility that Fury will go into his cyclic depression when this thing blows over and Wilder won't be able to redeem himself
You might be right. Fury said it was boxing that kept him motivated and on the straight and narrow. I just hope he's training and keeping busy at home.

You might be right. Fury said it was boxing that kept him motivated and on the straight and narrow. I just hope he's training and keeping busy at home.

I’m sure his 5 kids will keep him busy/occupied

I think it would affect a lot of fighters because it is a complete change from the norm. Boxing is always in front of an audience whether it is a big or small event. Otherwise it will have the feel of a sparring session at the gym

how are the people in your neck of the woods doing financially? The people here, i don't know how they are financially but everyone is on edge and snapping on each other over silly shit. Being as I was just doing delivery, i never had it so easy from a financial perspective, lighter traffic, grateful customers are leaving huge tips. My biggest worry, honestly is my family and friends, i want to call up friends from long ago and make sure they are ok but i don't want to creep them out. Just tonight I texted one to see how he's doing. My bro and stepfather both do have what the docs have been calling "comorbitities" and so i worry, it's an unknown. For myself? I honestly do not worry, I guess i've just been through a lot so it doesn't effect me like it effects others.
Most people i know are still working due to having essential labelled jobs. The ones that don't have good jobs and aren't seemingly too stressed yet but we'll see how far it goes

Luckily i can still work and keep a normal routine

I’m sure his 5 kids will keep him busy/occupied

Oh, they do and get away with a lot too. Imagine his sons with BJS's son.

On topic, I expect matches with no audiences once boxing gets up and running again. All the rules and regulations, plus just the capability of having thousands of people in attendance and their travel and accommodation will be too much at first.

It could help some boxers and hinder others. As an example, Michael Moorer was known as a great gym fighter, but mentally flaky and wasn't as good in fight night with many eyes on him.

Oh, they do and get away with a lot too. Imagine his sons with BJS's son.

On topic, I expect matches with no audiences once boxing gets up and running again. All the rules and regulations, plus just the capability of having thousands of people in attendance and their travel and accommodation will be too much at first.

It could help some boxers and hinder others. As an example, Michael Moorer was known as a great gym fighter, but mentally flaky and wasn't as good in fight night with many eyes on him.

I know a few guys like that, who were always better in the gym than on fight night. The mental aspect of the sport is huge. Even my old coach (who fought nearly 20 times as a pro) regularly threw up before fights. His old trainer always said that he only reached about 50% of his potential because of self doubt and horrible nerves

I think it would affect a lot of fighters because it is a complete change from the norm. Boxing is always in front of an audience whether it is a big or small event.
For small promotions and for medium size promotions/ events live gate income is very important.
Again, despite big and notable events in earlier times get damn big $ from broadcasting rights, Money from gates always was important part.
----
Ofc, small % from fighters earn more from media than from gates.
How about these that are not well known today? These are relying more from tickets sales until will reach levels where large and hopefully largest media will be interested in these guys.
-
Live attendance popularise sport plus arenas does have not only casual tickets but also expensive VIP tables, lodges etc stuff.
I know a few guys like that, who were always better in the gym than on fight night. The mental aspect of the sport is huge.
Yes, I too know and knew enough guys that were good in gyms, even on tech street, but in amateur events weren't good cos nerves.
Some quite opposite, despite they were inferior to these guys in gym, they were able to fight smoothly at events. Yes, not high level to watch, but still, they were not worse than in gyms.

I know a few guys like that, who were always better in the gym than on fight night. The mental aspect of the sport is huge. Even my old coach (who fought nearly 20 times as a pro) regularly threw up before fights. His old trainer always said that he only reached about 50% of his potential because of self doubt and horrible nerves

When analysing boxers the main criteria is nearly always physical, such as power, chin, stamina, however, the mental side is so important too. It’s very common for people to allow the negative talk to limit them or just be overwhelmed by the whole experience.

It’s quite common. I trained with a guy who was one of the best, but wouldn’t compete because he said he couldn’t handle it. Even as a kid when going to swimming competitions he was vomiting and couldn’t sleep before. It became a self fulfilling prophecy after a while.

and like @SandisLL mentions, the opposite can occur, especially at amateur level. People can keep it all together beating someone who can’t, despite on paper being better.

however, the mental side is so important too. It’s very common for people to allow the negative talk to limit them or just be overwhelmed by the whole experience.
Yes.
I sometimes didn't get, why. Yes, not paid ammy guy get beat up, but he still remained calm, respectful and still showed sportsmanship and nuts. No, maybe must be marketed as a bum?

-------------
and like @SandisLL mentions, the opposite can occur, especially at amateur level. People can keep it all together beating someone who can’t, despite on paper being better.
--------------
Yeah, some guys that had turned into amateurs are very tough guys. Despite their current level.
If someone does have a bag, let's taste version, when bag is kicked with ………...boots and shoes. How long shoes and boots ( even service boots ) and bag will last?
$ and long term feelings are the best teachers about difference street vs gym.

I think when you’re broadcasting from an arena a large and vocal audience helps make a fight (or any sporting event) more exciting. Although this shutdown is a good opportunity for companies like DAZN to experiment with different ways of broadcasting that don’t necessarily involve large arenas, audiences, or fighters that are getting paid huge sums to fight. Maybe invest in truly imaginative directors and other craft people.

Back