Is it Classless to Celebrate When your Opponent is hurt really bad? Should You Wait to Celebrate?

The correct question to ask is: is it classless to *not* check-in on your opponent after celebrating?

EVERY win for a fighter can be HUGE for their personal, mental, and professional/financial life. They're allowed to celebrate (regardless of how badly beaten their opponent is). That being said, I always prefer the modest and respectful type, 100%. But if Machida cheered and fist-bumped a bit before kneeling down and bowing beside his opponent, I wouldn't take anything away from him.

Saw a clip of a female boxing match very recently. The winner was dancing around and celebrating. The other girl collapsed and died.

It’s a slippery slope. But the axiom.. Act like you’ve been there before, is the way I’d like to think I would roll.

And in the most recent BKFC event a guy took a life threatening header. And the winner was obviously very concerned. I respect the fuck out of that guy. Cleckner I believe his name is.

Aye, there's a difference between celebrating your *own* achievement (regardless of how bad your opponent is messed up) and celebrating your opponent's misfortune, which is weak shit.

I would never judge a fighter for the actions immediately following a fight. You're not always conscious of what's happening around you and are too emotional to be rational anyways.

little celebration is ok.

it becomes a little classless when you are yelling / screaming / running around the cage. Good examples of that are when TJ beat Cody and Nunes beat Cyborg.

Dustin taunting and celebrating after Conor broke his leg is the most classless thing in the history. Lost all respect I had for him after seeing it.

These guys fight for a living and one of the primary objectives of the job are to knock your opponent out. They train countless hours to increase the chance they are effective in their objectives. It’s natural to be excited when you succeed. Your opponent is trying to do the same to you.

I don’t just want cookie cutter reactions. It’s ok to have real emotion.

Empathy and sympathy can come in of course too. But I can’t judge if the first reaction isn’t that. It’s highly likely your opponent will be ok….

Thinking of Urijah Hall turning and looking away on his knees when Weidman was crippled.

Not a TKO or regular stoppage. What about when your opponent is out cold, face down, gurgling in a pool of Saliva and blood?!

Yelling and Cheering like you won the lottery when you don't know if the guy on the floor will wake up.

Is it better to wait to see if the guy is okay before cheering and celebrating?

It would suck if you were celebrating and then later found out they were comatose.
No fighter should ever celebrate anything. I can't see one reason why they should. Just fight, shut up, and fight again. Until they die. Ideally in the cage on live TV. Guts, glory, but no gloating.

Thats one of many reasons why Mark Hunt was so well revered by fans and a bad motherfucker . Nothing cooler then calmly walking away or a bow after a KO .
SEpP.gif
Hunto's way was the best. He behaved as if it was the result he expected. The guys that jump around like bozo's make me laugh though. The best is when some dunce does a crazy flip and fucks his knee up lol!

he's asking whether certain ways are classier than others not how many ways there are...
you expect reading comprehension in these forums? Most of these dudes stop wiping when the paper is still streaky ................

Idk, but what you should definitely refrain from doing is going up and trying to console the guy you knocked out while he's still half asleep. Jingliang/Ponzi was completely cringe in this regard.

Nothing wrong with some celebration, its still a competition where the goal is to take the other guy out, of course the "line" is quite thin, can they celebrate a win like Weidman did over Anderson? i guess, but it doesnt look that good, and in his defense he shown some concern for Silva right after, he probably didnt thought it had been that bad, Hall did the complete opposite, which is also ok, it was the first strike iirc and he didnt even threw it, Weidman did.

Short answer: Its ok to celebrate, but not every win deserves a big celebration.

Imagine waking up to shevchenko tap dancing over you after she sends you to the shadow realm
ScarceMiserableDogwoodtwigborer-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif
Isnt her dance like a show closing thing? after the official decision is announced, it would be mean AF to do the dance while people is attending the rival still laying on the ground lol.

Saw a clip of a female boxing match very recently. The winner was dancing around and celebrating. The other girl collapsed and died.
IIRC the round ended and then the fight got waved off because she didnt respond to go to her corner, the other girl celebrated normally imo, then after the celebration her rival colapses but she wasnt doing any celebration at that point, for her 5th pro fight celebrating a KO win isnt exactly a bad thing, what makes it look kind of bad is that her rival died 5 days after in the hospital, the losing girl was a mexican 18 years old on a losing streak, her coach/managers shouldnt had setup the fight as she had lost by KO not long before that fight, no way she could had known her opponent was so badly hurt when its business as usual to KO their opponent in combat sports.

Last edited:
It's classy but the opposite isn't classless, you should be able to celebrate your hard earned victory. The rules of the game are to hurt your opponent anyways right? What's disrespectful is doing a tito gravedigger or some shit in victory.

Back