Is it Classless to Celebrate When your Opponent is hurt really bad? Should You Wait to Celebrate?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thinking of Urijah Hall turning and looking away on his knees when Weidman was crippled.

Not a TKO or regular stoppage. What about when your opponent is out cold, face down, gurgling in a pool of Saliva and blood?!

Yelling and Cheering like you won the lottery when you don't know if the guy on the floor will wake up.

Is it better to wait to see if the guy is okay before cheering and celebrating?

It would suck if you were celebrating and then later found out they were comatose.

Honestly while appreciate guys who show genuine concern like hall did, I also don't hold anything against guys who do a backflip off of the cage like Gaetje did when that guy who called him the homer Simpson of mma was flatlined on the floor 10 feet away. It's a brutal business where the entire goal is to hurt your opponent. I don't really view it any differently than spiking the football in the end zone after scoring a touchdown or showboating after having a nasty slam dunk

Saw a clip of a female boxing match very recently. The winner was dancing around and celebrating. The other girl collapsed and died.

It’s a slippery slope. But the axiom.. Act like you’ve been there before, is the way I’d like to think I would roll.

And in the most recent BKFC event a guy took a life threatening header. And the winner was obviously very concerned. I respect the fuck out of that guy. Cleckner I believe his name is.

Sometimes it's great, but sometimes over celebration karma catches up to you. I say do it in moderation
WhichGoldenAnkolewatusi-size_restricted.gif

RegularZestyAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

I prefer they wait to see if the other guy is ok. I don't hold it against them if they celebrate though. The thing is if you have a big celebration ala Tito's grave digging then you are ESPECIALLY open for 20 pages of shoops when you lose.
<seedat>

I choked out a dude that was grabbing on our bartender, being a jerk, but he dinged his head off the foot base of the bar, and when the cops showed up I was just kinda sitting there hoping I didn't kill the motherfucker. He was just over-drunk from a bus party, so it's not like I was there to murder the asshat. No one celebrated this until he was ok, got help, got cuffed ... after which many rounds were bought for the tall skinny asshole that stopped him.

You have got to understand that destroying the opponent is something you are trained to do,and your own health is at risk because someone is tryin to do the same...so at FIRST there is jubilation,a rush,a high,and some relief as well.

It might take a second to come down and feel for the other guy.

I dont find it always disrespectful because some fighters style is to pull deep into the depths of some bad shit to pull out a win. Not everyone can win on technical brilliance,or in a calm manner.

Sometimes it's great, but sometimes over celebration karma catches up to you. I say do it in moderation
WhichGoldenAnkolewatusi-size_restricted.gif

RegularZestyAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif
Hey i just remembered that guy from the lowest gif. What is he up to theese days? Is he still fighting? Was a massive hype train, i tell ya.

Look at that fight someone had brought up in another thread. Andre the Chief Roberts vs Ron Waterman. Ron had closed the distance on him,and you could see Andre had no defense for it on the inside,and he was very close to losing,taking a huge barrage of punches from a huge dude. It looked for sure that he was going to get Ko'd but he somehow summoned something inside and took it back to Waterman,landed a devastating punch and ko'd him. After the ref stopped it,he with a bloody face went over to Waterman's corpse,and bellowed at it.

I think as human beings we can understand that in the heat of things. He had to go to an extreme place to save his own ass,and win that fight.

Not every fighter is going to be or can be like a Machida or Steven Thompson. Fighters come from all walks. You'd think this would be accepted but sometimes' its not.

If it’s a KO, it’s fair game to celebrate, it has been since day one and it will continue in the future. Remember these guys put in hours preparing for a single moment and most need the win/performance bonuses.

Look at that fight someone had brought up in another thread. Andre the Chief Roberts vs Ron Waterman. Ron had closed the distance on him,and you could see Andre had no defense for it on the inside,and he was very close to losing,taking a huge barrage of punches from a huge dude. It looked for sure that he was going to get Ko'd but he somehow summoned something inside and took it back to Waterman,landed a devastating punch and ko'd him. After the ref stopped it,he with a bloody face went over to Waterman's corpse,and bellowed at it.

I think as human beings we can understand that in the heat of things. He had to go to an extreme place to save his own ass,and win that fight.

Not every fighter is going to be or can be like a Machida or Steven Thompson. Fighters come from all walks. You'd think this would be accepted but sometimes' its not.
Machida changed his style at the end to be more exciting and started going for KOs. Don't forget about the Thiago Silva and Rashaad fight. Just because you get KOs doesn't mean you aren't technical, there's a lot of technique into getting KOs/TKOs. It's just a different style of fighting compared to trying to win on points. Different technical approaches.

Machida changed his style at the end to be more exciting and started going for KOs. Don't forget about the Thiago Silva and Rashaad fight. Just because you get KOs doesn't mean you aren't technical, there's a lot of technique into getting KOs/TKOs. It's just a different style of fighting compared to trying to win on points. Different technical approaches.
Of course you can be technical and get ko's.

Im just sayin Machida usually goes for one shot to take the guy out.His shot selection is very patient,and hes too cool for school out there. People point this out to say everyone should be like that,but thats impossible.

Back