Is it cheating?

The classic MMA move is to wear Gracie Barra shorts as a kick boxer to trick your opponent into not taking you down.

I guess if you had bad takedowns and good guard passing, wearing a USA Judo gi could trick your opponents into pulling guard.

I don't know anyone that would think stripes meant something in a tournament. My school does stripes MAYBE once a year. They just don't mean anything.

I prefer colonizing my own belt with the deadliest bacteria possible.

I've checked the IBJJF rulebook. I did a Ctrl + F and didn't find anything in there prohibiting biological warfare.

Champions are just ordinary people who are willing to go to extraordinary lengths to win.

Are you saying Romulo Barral has anthrax on his belt? Because I think that's what you're saying.

What you you should do is borrow one of your teammate's worn and raggedy belt so it looks like you have more experience. Your opponents will be scared and lose all confidence in their ability.

th

Now this is cheating!!!

I thought the bacteria buildup in an unwashed belt is where the mojo was? This thread should be less about getting tape off one's own belt, and more about crafty strategies to get purell onto your opponent's.

hell yeah. that's what i'm talking about. when's your instructional on Purell Guard coming out?

Wow. I hope this isn't serious.

You seriously think you are going to have an "advantage" over your opponent by them not knowing your stripe rank?

You should take them off and just quit bjj all together.

Trying to gain a "competitive advantage" by taking stripes off ... someone has to make a meme about this!

I thought I had seen it all...and then I opened this thread.

Only pull off your stripes if that is the difference between making weight or not...

I have never looked at the number of stripes my opponent had.
I don't care about my own stripes at all. I always wash them off (I got one made from black tap) when washing the belt.
At a camp it sucked as all lots of stripes blue belts where doing positional sparring with purple belts while I had to do it with the blue belts.

Op is obviously new and a little bit nervous about his first tournament, cut him some slack..

If you notice podium pictures of big tournaments, a lot of times you'll see no stripes on first place belts. Just go out and have fun competing! Oh and slams are illegal, don't slam people.

in my gym, if you take your stripes off you lose them. then have to start over. stripes are hard to come by at my academy i wouldnt do it

40yearoldvirgin-useit.gif

in my gym, if you take your stripes off you lose them. then have to start over. stripes are hard to come by at my academy i wouldnt do it

What if they fall off during training? Does the first person to snatch it up get dibs?

The classic MMA move is to wear Gracie Barra shorts as a kick boxer to trick your opponent into not taking you down.

I guess if you had bad takedowns and good guard passing, wearing a USA Judo gi could trick your opponents into pulling guard.

Haha nice I like that. Yep my takedowns surely suck but I love me some top game.

Stripes are one of the lamest things to happen to BJJ.

That and all the gay grappling. But mostly the stripes.

I know a guy who borrowed a badly worn judogi for just this purpose. It worked.

so basically, not wearing stripes means you'll never be promoted?

i honestly don't get why we even need stripes. my old coach put a few on my belt, they fell off, i never bothered to put them back on. nobody cares. i was a blue belt then, striped or not. eventually i got my purple belt, i'm not even sure but i think they put a stripe on it a while back. it isn't there anymore, and i really don't care.

but then again we're a very laid back gym and our promotions are handed to us by a visiting instructor, so there's pretty much no one to police us on this sort of nonsense. i love it.

Back