Is it better to be super tall and skinny, or really short and jacked?

In this dream scenario the tall guy can literally low kick the smaller guy in the head. So I would favor him.

Ok...sure, I'll bite.

0N85hr0_d.jpg
The dude looks like he weighs about 205.

Maybe being a grappler height is less of a big deal? It seems like there's a lot of grappling greats who don't depend on height:

Marcelo Garcia: 5'8"
Cobrinha: 5'4"
Yoel: 5'10"
DC: 5'11"
Palhares: 5'8"
Rickson: 5'10"
Cyborg Abreu: 5'11"
Galvao: 5'10"
Arona: 5'10"
Jeff Monson: 5'9"

But there's still guys like Roger Gracie, Gordon Ryan, Werdum, Craig Jones, Keenan Cornelius who are 6'2" or above and dominate as well. But it seems like in lower weight grappling it's not that curcial, some of these guys even won ADCC absolute div.

For striking and MMA, I would assume height and reach is more important, it's harder to generate force punching upwards and to get into striking distance for a short guy vs a tall guy, unless your game is very grappling heavy, or you're Mark Hunt.

Conor was long and tall for FW, Holloway is tall (but short reach), Barboza the same for LW, Woderboy and MVP the same for WW, Adesanya same for MW, Jones and Reyes obviously for LHW and Ngannou, Stipe are quite tall, as well as most HW boxing and K1 champions, except Tyson.

It's best to tailor your fighting style to fit your body type and strengths. There are very successful fighters with virtually all different body types.

I'd honestly pick looking like Sean Sherk over Stefan Struve any day.

127_Stefan_Struve.jpg

method=get&rs=100&q=75&x=20&y=11&w=240&h=320&ro=0&s=9BF16310-1D09-6BFC-E59CEA499074A7DE.jpg

Okay so lets analyse the champs in each division to determine whether more of them are tall or short for their divisions.
HW-Stipe-6ft 4-Normal height
LHW-Jones-6 ft 4-Tall
MW- Adesanya- 6ft 4- Tall
WW- Usman- 6ft- Taller Average
LW- Khabib- 5ft 10- Average
FW- Volkanoski- 5ft 6- short
BW- Cejudo -5ft 3- short

Notice that it is only in the smaller weight classes where being short seems to not matter. In all the other weight classes the best are either normal sized or tall. So the answer really depends on weight class. Overall though being tall won more times than being short, and being short only worked when the primary skill set of the fighter in question was wrestling.
To be fair Volk has only recently become champ and Cejudo just has not defended his belt at Bantam. Hell his sole fight at bantam was against Moraes who isn't partically tall like a Cruz or Aljo.

As a 6'6 slim dude I can tell ya if he can wrestle he'll have a good chance of winning

Realist detected you mean...funny how when you state facts, some people just can't handle it...haha....most of the biggest stars ever in action movies, were all well under 6 feet....this is simply fact. stallone, statham, cruise, etc.....
Manlet confirmed

6,6 would leave no musclemass to move me or cause any damage. I had 5,5. thick friends knocking large people out on the streets when we where younger. Partly because the big guy didnt respect their power. Hell! I didnt respect it untill I saw it. Muscles creates power. Range also if you are stupid enough to wait and eat the end of a skeletons strike. But at 6'6 lw no way.

I'm closer to 5'3" than 6'6" anyway. BTW I'm 5'8". @BFoe @BroRogan @Clementine @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

standing-kitty-is.jpg
It’s strange: when I’m logged in to Sherdog, I am 6’6”.
As soon as I log out, I’m 5’9”. :D
As far as fighting goes, I think skill matters more than height. As far as everything else in life (such as women), it doesn’t matter much at all. Most chicks either:
A. Don’t care about it.
B. Just want a guy taller than them. As average height in the US is around 5’9” for men and around 5’4” for women, that’s not hard to do.

Awhile back there was a thread from a dude complaining about the terrible time he had with women because of his height. His height was perfectly average and normal. Whatever his issue with women was, it wasn’t height-related.
@HI SCOTT NEWMAN @Clementine

You cant teach height - that pretty standard in most sports. 2 equally skilled opponents would typically be decided based on their physical gifts.

Being ripped means nothing in fighting. See diaz

Okay so lets analyse the champs in each division to determine whether more of them are tall or short for their divisions.
HW-Stipe-6ft 4-Normal height
LHW-Jones-6 ft 4-Tall
MW- Adesanya- 6ft 4- Tall
WW- Usman- 6ft- Taller Average
LW- Khabib- 5ft 10- Average
FW- Volkanoski- 5ft 6- short
BW- Cejudo -5ft 3- short

Notice that it is only in the smaller weight classes where being short seems to not matter. In all the other weight classes the best are either normal sized or tall. So the answer really depends on weight class. Overall though being tall won more times than being short, and being short only worked when the primary skill set of the fighter in question was wrestling.
If you did that a year ago most champs would have been manlets
As dc is 5”10 was the hw and lhw champ during that time,
Whitaker was also the champ at the time being 6
Woodley 5”9
Mcgrgeor 5”9
Holloway 5”11
Ect

also if you look at fights with the very large difference in height, the shorter guy usually wins the freak show fights.
Nelson vs struve, hunt vs stuve, igor vs

Back