Is it better to be super tall and skinny, or really short and jacked?

Realist detected you mean...funny how when you state facts, some people just can't handle it...haha....most of the biggest stars ever in action movies, were all well under 6 feet....this is simply fact. stallone, statham, cruise, etc.....

It's generally due to a lack of character.........tall people don't really have to try as hard, it's automatically assumed that they are successful by a large majority of the population, even at an early age, it leads them to not develop a character and expect to be treated well and have most opportunities gifted to them.

It's a shame but what can you do the world is full of hard wired idiots.

Schwarzenegger at 6'1 ends that idea. Greatest action star ever was a juiced meathead with a box jaw, unsurprisingly.

that's very debateable....many would say that stallone is the #1 guy of all time...but that still doesn't take away from what I said...of course there are taller action stars...but many are not...which is what I said. and arnold is 6'2.

If I was an mma fighter and had the choice to say " abracadabra " and I would look in mirror and have particular body type .....my first 2 :
1) Fabricio Werdum
2) prime Andy Silva( more density in calves- could u imagine an Anderson Silva that couldnt be taken down[ prime] )

I think werdum had thee perfect frame for any discipline of this sport. If he only made the marriage with Raphael Cordeiro sooner, he may have well been hw goat. Hes probably top 5 as it is.

Last edited:
I'd say 6'6. You could still be 6'6 and weigh around 180-190 lbs, cut down to 155 and still be pretty athletic. There's lots of guys in the nba with this build. Its difficult to imagine a 5'3 guy being competitive at 155 though

As a 5'9.5 guy with relatively short reach I can tell you that this is a curse in striking, unless you have the heart to be an inside fighter and close the distance.

It is also a disadvantage in BJJ where having long limbs generally gives more possibility for subs (Darce chokes, triangles, etc.) as well as a wider base for ground work.

It is also a disadvantage in judo where foot sweeps and throws from a distance are a thing.

No, guys, I am sorry but reach is pretty much ALWAYS an advantage in combat sports, unless you are so lanky that you are slow and awkward.

It's better to be tall and skinny. Chicks like to wear heals.

6’6 at 155 pounds is ridiculous. Like straight up anorexic towering skeleton. Cant imagine that making for a good fighter.

This question is too broad. However, if you played AAU basketball when you were 12 or 13 you likely witnessed at least one fight that consisted of the shortest guy on your team taking a swing at the string-bean big on the opposing team. The smaller guy usually was able to knock down the string bean big. Thats the closest example I can think of.

There are 5'8 guys fighting in LHW because that is their correct division based on their build and reach, just as there are 6'0 + guys fighting at bantamweight because that is their correct division based on their build and reach.

Generally, I think fighters should be in the division that is most aligned with their height and weight, but those that try to fight up a division or two deserve kudos as long as they can compete competently. Deron Winn is an example of a guy that fights up a division and does not compete competently, while Dalcha Lungiambula who is only two inches taller than him does compete competently at Light Heavyweight.

Reach is always an advantage, so with everything else the same, being tall is a huge advantage. All other replies Are silly And ignorant.

Depends on skill set.

Is the short stocky guy an elite wrestler and the tall guy has suspect tdd? If that’s the case i would think the short guy wins. Is the short guy a striker? If so he is probably fucked.

I’m 5’9 and when I used to do grappling with tall skinny guys they were honestly the easiest to beat. Long skinny limbs that are easy to grab a hold of, skinny shoulders and back.

Now striking on the other hand against tall people puts you at a tough disadvantage. Especially if they know how to properly use their reach.

There's a huge variable missing. It's called skill.
No one body type has dominated.
And wtf, who was ever 5'3 and fought at LW? or the other?
Hill_original.jpg

If I was 5'3 I would skydive with no parachute

155 at 6'6" would be comical. 155 at 5'3" would be thick, but not as funny looking provided they are fit. They'd look like a little tank, but would pass in public. My dad is 6'3" and is 155 and does not look healthy (well, he isn't). So at 6'6" you'd probably look pretty bad.

Tall and jacked here

Given the two options I'd rather be tall and skinny. At least you're still a human who just lacks muscle

6’6 at 155 pounds is ridiculous. Like straight up anorexic towering skeleton. Cant imagine that making for a good fighter.

If they cut from 170 it's another (skinny) story.. but then again.. a 5'3 guy cutting from 170 is like palhares 2.0 so i guess it evens out..

No answer...Tyson was the best and he was shorter than the oders
Sean o malley,in his division is the tallest and skinniest but is 8-0

Back