1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is Israel attempting to "poach" the title off Jan, if not why didn't he fight Jon?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by hbombfromhell, Mar 2, 2021.

1. hbombfromhell Banned Banned

I don't get how moving up to fight new champs with 0 defences is thought highly upon when Jon and Israel were exchanging words for years and Israel wouldn't move up until Jon vacated because "he wasn't ready". Is he trying to age Jon out?

Jan's size advantage isn't going to mean very much here considering Israel has already devastated HW kickboxers and Jan is predominantly a striker.

2. Arrrrgh Black Belt

Jon Jones, age 33.
    Israel Adesanya, age 31.

There goes your argument.

3. hbombfromhell Banned Banned

So if they fight in 2 years, Israel will be at his absolute fighting prime, and by the looks of it Jon is already starting to slide. He'll be 35 and well past it.

Argument redeemed.

4. Dave Poodle Brown Belt

Israel didn't even have 1 defense when Jon last fought at LHW.

5. Reign009 Not sure if serious.

Maybe Izzy shouldn't have said shit but maybe Jon did first. I don't keep up with their drama, lol.

I just know that Izzy had business to take care of at 185.

FilhoisaHero and Lemos like this.
  6. Lights Out 101 Brown Belt

But just think how much hype there will be for the SUPER SUPER fight if Izzy wins the LHW belt and Jon wins the HW belt. It would be the most anticipated title match of all time.

7. hbombfromhell Banned Banned

<mma4>

TheRiddler likes this.
  8. Topher Orange Belt

I think the opportunity was there after Jon was already moving to HW. If he didn’t fight Costa and beat him the way he did he didn’t have a real case to fight up imo coming off the Romero fight. If Costa wasn’t injured and he fought him sooner maybe it would have happened. Izzy could have sat and waited instead he fought Romero and then Costa.

If Jones fought Jan and won it likely sets this up either way. It was timing I think. But if Izzy and Jon both win moving up this sets up one hell of a fight.

Iroh likes this.
  9. empsim Brown Belt

It seems Izzy and Jones both don't want to fight each other, which makes the trash talking even more silly.

TheNinja likes this.
  10. The Witcher відродитися

Israel ducked Jon. This is indisputable. He even said this himself

Bend NvR Break and Carsormyr like this.
  11. The Fat Mexican Mis testículos están hinchados de amor

Adesanya doesn't want to fight Jones, it's obvious.

12. Kaynan Purple Belt

What’s the point of this argument if you already feel Jon is slipping? That’s clearly the excuse you’d use if Izzy beat him tomorrow

Lemmy Caution likes this.
  13. Sakurabaism Black Belt

Jon ran away from Izzy, that's why he moves up to HW. Jon was supposed to defend his belt against Jan but at the same time, Izzy already set his eyes on Jon, that's when their beef started with Jon scurried away by vacating his belt.

14. youllneverwalkalone Brown Belt

Do you really think a fight with Stipe (or Ngannou) is less scary than a fight with Izzy? Get real dude. Nobody is running away from anybody, you are just reading into the situation.

15. Topher Orange Belt

Seriously fans say dumb shit. He’s clearly running the wrong way if this is the case. Hey guys I’m going to run from the cheetah to avoid it and run at the lions instead..

16. ferrisjso Goat Lawyer

Anyone whose thought about it agrees, "champ champ" is a shortuct to become an all time great through one fight. Even if that opponent is an all time great that's a shortcut and that almost is never the case it's usually taking advantage of a weak champ who got the belt by having things fall their way. The exception is that DC fought Stipe but you got to keep in mind the alternative was sticking around at LHW for Jones so he still took the easier fight.

We see this belt inflation in boxing and now you got a fucking long ass wikipedia page of champ champ champs and more. Means absolutely nothing at this point. It's a cancer and the only hope left is if Dana never lets anyone try for a third.

Given that Jan's won a few fights against Corey Anderson and Reyes who I think are much better than him honestly wouldn't shock me if Jan won though Jan's Izzy's best shot. Hard to rate Izzy as a dominant champ cause MW fell off a cliff at the same time he was climbing the ladder. But having people calling Jan an all time great cause he's a "champ champ" when there's like 10 LHW's who IMO are better would be insufferable.

hbombfromhell likes this.
  17. Sakurabaism Black Belt

Tell that to TS, I'm just trying to offer a different point of view. Yes, I think in Jon's mind, losing to Stipe and Francis would not look as bad as losing to Izzy. I wonder why you're replying to me first instead of TS.

FilhoisaHero and vadrigar like this.
  18. FanofC Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Jones ducked Adesanya because he knows he'd lose.

FilhoisaHero and Vegesus44 like this.
  19. DestinedAussie Green Belt

exactly and UFC likely wanted him to defend and not hold up another division. They have a careful balancing act to make sure only 1 or 2 divisions are held up at any one time or they can't make enough events. He also needed a some defenses to make his claim because, then his fight against Yoel didn't make the case so he needed another.

Lemos and Dave Poodle like this.
  20. Egészségére! Brown Belt

Usman ran out of opponents which scared Izzy so he moved up to LHW which scared Jones into fighting at HW which has Stipe scared so he’s trying to gain too much weight to fight

upload_2021-3-3_0-33-26.jpg

Lemmy Caution likes this.