Is Israel Adesanya an overrated fighter?

Is Israel Adesanya an overrated fighter?

• Total voters
why are anderson comparisons being made?

if you ignore the fact that he's a PED cheat, most guys are going to be overrated compared to prime anderson

but it's a different era, and relative to the guys he has beat, adesanya is a great fighter in his weight class.

You’re right. He is a great fighter in his weight class

Not so much at LHW thought where Anderson excelled..

He is the best MW and a very good fighter but no-one overrates Izzy than Izzy himself. Some of his antics are shameful i.e burping on people. Surprised Vettori didn't slap him in the mouth.
Lmfao what’s this about him burping?

Absolutely. You may know me from my quote on said thread that he (Izzy) is no Anderson, but the facts are the facts.

Let's not forget that Silva was on PED's in his prime. I would say Izzy is at or near that level of Silva. His head movement last night was even better than I've ever seen from Silva, which is saying a lot.

We don’t know for sure that Anderson was or that Adesanya is not.

I find it easy to believe that Anderson was, but generally speaking I don’t think we should be discounting his record. For starters, lots of guys he beat badly were on something.

he keeps winning so how can he be overrated.

Because ratings are not binary. Jones keeps winning, Usman keeps winning, Leon keeps winning, and Arnold Allen keeps winning. They aren’t all rated equally, in fact they’re rated wildly differently.

Even someone like Khabib who had a virtually flawless career can be over or underrated. If you think he’d beat Ngannou, he’s overrated. If you think he would’ve lost to Ben Henderson, he’s underrated.

Slightly overrated. His striking defence isn’t good imo and it was highlighted in the recent Marvin fight. Always getting touched up by average strikers, compared to Silva who would be bobbing and weaving like he’s in the matrix.

Great fighter, just not the level some say. He creates tons of openings to counter and can't pull the trigger or flat out not land, every fight he tries and tires and tries to land some flashy counter strike.. and fails most of the time. But when everything lines up we get things like the Costa and the Whittaker fight. When they don't land, we get shit fights like this weekend.

Depends, I personally have a realistic view on him but he may be overrated or even underrated in the eyes of more casual fans. He was slightly exposed in the Romero and Jan fights.

Slightly overrated. His striking defence isn’t good imo and it was highlighted in the recent Marvin fight. Always getting touched up by average strikers, compared to Silva who would be bobbing and weaving like he’s in the matrix.

Agree slightly overrated if I had to choose. It’s hard for a guy with multiple defenses (enough that I don’t remember if it’s three or more) to be underrated unless he seems to be getting lucky decisions or something. Izzy knocked Whittaker out damn near cold. He TKO’d Costa with ease and cruised against Vettori to hold the off Romero fight against him or the KG fight in which he showed heart and came on very strong late, to me is nuts and to most people too. So he isn’t underrated.

To me it’s properly or over. I say ever so slightly over because I think he’s still vulnerable to strong wrestling and also against a tough straightforward hitter who isn’t a tactically dumb as Costa and Marvin (plus both are bruisers but not big KO guys). I don’t quite see it as bad striking defense, but I think he’s hittable (by, say, a middleweight version of a guy like Poirier or Gaethje, who can bid a bit and also hit hard enough to hurt an opponent. Just don’t have that guy right now unless it’s RW)

Whittaker in my view has the style and skills to cause some issues even though he’s not the ideal style to beat him. Izzy favored but I think it’s a much better fight. If it isn’t, and if a fighter says at striking and well rounded as RW gives Izzy zero trouble again, I’ll switch to properly rated.

He's really good and really overrated. #3 P4P is a complete joke lmao

Overrated yes but still an amazing fighter and most likely the #1 MW right now. Whittaker may be able to beat him in a rematch though. But some people act like he is the second coming. He's still young though and has time to improve, and it's not like Silva looked great in all of his fights.

I think he is already close to Silva level, not quite as good a finisher but then Silva popped so who knows what his real natural level was.

We don’t know for sure that Anderson was or that Adesanya is not.

I find it easy to believe that Anderson was, but generally speaking I don’t think we should be discounting his record. For starters, lots of guys he beat badly were on something.
He tested positive. We definitely know he was

You’re right. He is a great fighter in his weight class

Not so much at LHW thought where Anderson excelled..
Who did he beat at lhw, who did he lose to, and what did they offer relative to his weaknesses?

Well if you think he is Columbo level -maybe not

Cagney and Lacey level - I say yes.

He looked like a striking god against Rob and Costa. Then Jan and Marvin come along and he looks pretty average. I’m not hating. It’s just the way it looks to me. Still, he’s going to be really hard to beat at MW.

Back