Is Israel Adesanya an overrated fighter?

Is Israel Adesanya an overrated fighter?

• Total voters
what is the question LOL

is he overrated? fuck no

is he the greatest fighter to ever live? who fucking knows. He's just now separating himself from other champs in terms of title defenses.
Again, just because you are the best divisionally, doesn't mean you can't be overrated, in terms of p4p, all time, or even divisional dominance.

For example, if someone said Jones is unbeatable at 205, then that person would be overrating Jones, because Jones is clearly beatable. If someone said Jan is the best p4p fighter on the planet, then clearly that person would overrating Jan. If someone said Aldo is the GOAT, then clearly they would be overrating Aldo. Etc.

if anything he's probably underrated. He's 21-1, his lone loss was to the champion of the division above him, and he's the best fighter in his weight class by a considerable margin. What are we even talking about

Jan cuts weight to make 205, not sure exactly how much he walks around at, but I would guess 220ish, Israel walks around at 190ish
ESPN:
Adesanya tipped the scales at 200.5 pounds during Friday's weigh-in. Blachowicz weighed 205 pounds and said he planned on competing Saturday at 220 pounds.

Adesanya likely didn't gain much weight since weigh-ins, meaning Blachowicz would be about 20 pounds heavier in the Octagon.

Inspired by this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/adesanyas-counter-striking-is-overated.4189124/

I believe so, he's not as deadly as Anderson Silva in that stand up department. But the UFC hype him up to the extent that they call him the most diverse striker ever in MMA. I believe that's what Joe Rogan said.

Anderson Silva is the better striker and grappler. But Israel Adesanya has better TDD.

I believe Adesanya is not a very well rounded/complete fighter, but he's learning and getting better. However his hype is larger than what reality is.

What's your thoughts on him, is he overrated as a fighter?

One thing worth mentioning is Anderson wasn't god tier until he made it to the UFC. he was very beatable early in his career. Izzy has had a similar rise and been learning on the job more than Anderson was at the UFC point of his career.

Izzy's opponents are better than Andersons overall so far. Whittaker alone has a better resume than Anderson did and I hate that revionist history crap. Izzy's worst defence is Vettori so far and I think Prime Vettori would have been a nightmare for Anderson as he would have settled into guard easier than Izzy did.

Inspired by this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/adesanyas-counter-striking-is-overated.4189124/

I believe so, he's not as deadly as Anderson Silva in that stand up department. But the UFC hype him up to the extent that they call him the most diverse striker ever in MMA. I believe that's what Joe Rogan said.

Anderson Silva is the better striker and grappler. But Israel Adesanya has better TDD.

I believe Adesanya is not a very well rounded/complete fighter, but he's learning and getting better. However his hype is larger than what reality is.

What's your thoughts on him, is he overrated as a fighter?
I believe that you're spot on for the most part. I think he's very good and worthy champion, but maybe one notch below the hype.

People In this thread voting with emotion and not logic just blinded by butthurtness lol

If you believe he is Anderson tier, then yes he is overrated.
If you believe he is the best MW fighter in the world then he is not overrated.

this is the best way to judge Izzy to be honest I’ll never understand people who say that because he’s not better than the goat then he’s trash I mean if that’s the case everyone in the ufc is trash so why watch lol

Definitely overrated by the UFC hype machine but I think most of the smart fans know he's really fucking good. I was expecting a much closer fight and whether it was Vettori's execution of his gameplan or Izzy's that fight was not close. Nor was it a masterclass. I think if he destroys Whittaker again and maybe wipes out another contender or two he should be ranked up there with Anderson. Anderson destroyed everyone. Or just fucked around with Maia and Leites. He was insane even up at LHW. That's just really hard to compete with.

The thing thats overrated is his crossover appeal. How long have we been hearing that he "could be a huge star"

He's rated fine. He's mopped the floor with almost every current MW but you're questioning if he's overrated?
GSP mopped the floor with everyone but couldn't even finish Dan Hardy -- was he overrated?

At MW, Izzy is as great as they say. If he walks through Rob again there's basically nobody left.

Define "easily." Did Adesanya get KO'd into another dimension like all of Jan's previous opponents on his win streak to the LHW belt?

I think that Jan won 4 of 5 rounds, but he was nowhere near as confident taking it to Adesanya as he was against Reyes, Anderson or Rockhold.

Outstrike doesn't mean you get knocked out into another dimension.... You can outstrike someone handily and not knock them out..

I think he’s somewhat over rated. He thinks he’s the goat, I think he’s a point fighter that put a new twist in the cage with the hip feingts . Marvin was never a real contender for the belt. I remember how many shot Izzy took against gas,almost got tkod. . His fight against drunks was sad (/still don’t know what dropped costa) his fight against Romero was boring and instill say it was more of a bad game plan of Whitaker than Izzy winning by ko

Sorry multi posts..... bring Luke back to 185, then we’ll see

One thing worth mentioning is Anderson wasn't god tier until he made it to the UFC. he was very beatable early in his career. Izzy has had a similar rise and been learning on the job more than Anderson was at the UFC point of his career.

Izzy's opponents are better than Andersons overall so far. Whittaker alone has a better resume than Anderson did and I hate that revionist history crap. Izzy's worst defence is Vettori so far and I think Prime Vettori would have been a nightmare for Anderson as he would have settled into guard easier than Izzy did.
Defense, not fight. The Romero fight was a stinker too

Back