Is innovation a key component for champions staying at the top?

Destino2018

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Champions like Stipe, Jones and Cejudo have the ability to make complete fight adjustments mid match that completely turn the tide in battle. Stipe with his body shots that won him the fight in R4 when he was getting tagged thanks to better striking(and EYEPOKES). It baffled me with how immediate the tide turned and it killed DC’s stamina as quickly as they started. Cejudo using his clinch to dominate his fight with Marlon once he realized he couldn’t keep striking with him and taking leg kicks. It was a risk getting that close to him but it immediately paid off and sapped all of Marlon’s stamina and cost him the fight in R3. Jones is all about innovation and almost every fight has led to him making mid fight adjustments once he realizes one thing isn’t working and it throws all of his opponents off. Of course there are guys like Max who can just dominate thanks to his striking being leagues above others but also isn’t very good at making those adjustments mid fight and because of that never adapted to Volkanovski’s leg kicks. I could really see Henry and Stipe being long term champions since they are able to do what many others in there division are incapable of doing. That’s not to say this is bulletproof but it’s a damn good skill to have.

Champions like Stipe, Jones and Cejudo have the ability to make complete fight adjustments mid match that completely turn the tide in battle. Stipe with his body shots that won him the fight in R4 when he was getting tagged thanks to better striking(and EYEPOKES). It baffled me with how immediate the tide turned and it killed DC’s stamina as quickly as they started. Cejudo using his clinch to dominate his fight with Marlon once he realized he couldn’t keep striking with him and taking leg kicks. It was a risk getting that close to him but it immediately paid off and sapped all of Marlon’s stamina and cost him the fight in R3. Jones is all about innovation and almost every fight has led to him making mid fight adjustments once he realizes one thing isn’t working and it throws all of his opponents off. Of course there are guys like Max who can just dominate thanks to his striking being leagues above others but also isn’t very good at making those adjustments mid fight and because of that never adapted to Volkanovski’s leg kicks. I could really see Henry and Stipe being long term champions since they are able to do what many others in there division are incapable of doing. That’s not to say this is bulletproof but it’s a damn good skill to have.
Absolutely. If you come out and give every guy you fight the same look for 5 rounds fight after fight, it will not take long for someone to figure you out and punish you. This is a sport where you have got to adjust on the fly, and make those detail orientated changes quickly. When you don’t, or your opponent is one move ahead, it probably means you’re going home a loser.

Last edited:

DC acting like he completely forgot how to wrestle is what lost him that fight. But Jones' fight IQ is amazing, as well as Stipe's. It's a pretty amazing skill to be able to think clearly and coherently while being punched in the face.

DC acting like he completely forgot how to wrestle is what lost him that fight. But Jones' fight IQ is amazing, as well as Stipe's. It's a pretty amazing skill to be able to think clearly and coherently while being punched in the face.
I chalk that up to him falling in love with his striking and eventually that worked against him long term.

Prime Aldo was awesome at it

Mendes vs Aldo 2 in particular is an amazing example of two guys making read after read, counter-adjustment after counter-adjustment

One of the best fights of last decade easily

Of course there are guys like Max who can just dominate thanks to his striking being leagues above others but also isn’t very good at making those adjustments mid fight and because of that never adapted to Volkanovski’s leg kicks.

Max did make adjustments in that fight, but Volkano adjusted to those adjustments

One of the secrets to Max's success is he's been one of the best in the game at making those mid-fight adjustments

Check out this top notch technical article for more on the matter https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/12...ted-brian-ortega-2-mma-technique-footwork-gif

I chalk that up to him falling in love with his striking and eventually that worked against him long term.

He's also no spring chicken and wrestling chops is one of the first things some fighters say they lost as they aged.

Back