Is HIIT perfect for BJJ?

b0b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In my BJJ and Vale Tudo classes, we usually spar balls out for about 3 minutes. We rest for 30 seconds, do it again. Rest a minute, switch up, then do something else.

Would HIIT conditioning on my days off help me build my conditioning? The reason I ask is because some people are telling me I will get all of my conditioning through the training itself.

You'll get some real pros answering. But my thinking as a "non-pro" is that if you are essentially getting HIIT workouts at bjj training, then you might consider a more aerobic (LSD=long, slow distance) program on your off days.

This might be specific to gi bjj. But the more I train, the more I realize that aerobic conditioning is under-rated among a lot of grapplers.

wOg said:
You'll get some real pros answering. But my thinking as a "non-pro" is that if you are essentially getting HIIT workouts at bjj training, then you might consider a more aerobic (LSD=long, slow distance) program on your off days.

This might be specific to gi bjj. But the more I train, the more I realize that aerobic conditioning is under-rated among a lot of grapplers.

Yea..this is true..I had aloways done alot of HIIT training for Muay Thai but when I started doing BJJ it was a totally different world and I was surprised how gassed I was...I started running about 3 miles a day and now im up to 5 miles in the morning and it has seemed to help alot

Think like this, is it the anaerobical conditioning that chalenges you at bjj or is it aeorobic? If you feel it is anaerobicaly chalenging you should resonably put your eforts towards that when training alone. A mix of anaerbical and aerobic cardio workouts is the best, but with most effort towards the more explosive sesions.

Back