@Brown
Reaction score
He let mcgregor cheated
He screwed up lawler vs askren

Mario Yamasaki is the real mvp

He's been in a slump for awhile

Mike Beltran and Keith Peterson are the alphas now

Also Todd Anderson

The Khabib vs McGregor fight proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he's crooked as fuck.

He's been slipping recently for sure.

not only does the dude ref more fights than any other active referee, he refs more high profile fights as well. Anyone who works as much as he does is going to make calls that some find questionable. They don't, however, erase the thousands of good calls he makes that go ignored because people only care about the bad calls.

not only does the dude ref more fights than any other active referee, he refs more high profile fights as well. Anyone who works as much as he does is going to make calls that some find questionable. They don't, however, erase the thousands of good calls he makes that go ignored because people only care about the bad calls.

Lol, holy fuck...are people seriously white-knighting referees now <45>

I never understood why do people consider him a good ref in the first place.
Dude is beyond inconsistent...
Also he is a shill, Khabib Conor fight was some of the worst reffing in the mma history.

He let mcgregor cheated

He's been screwing up a lot more than just lately, there's many many more fights he screwed up, it's damn near comical. I have no Idea why the The Red Faced Goof never jumped all over Herb ass like he did all the other refs, and Herb is worse imo. It's like as if Dana has Herb in his back pocket or something.

Last edited:
He let mcgregor cheated

Wrong. He didn't let McGregor cheat, he just made a judgement call that the degree he cheated wasn't stopping Khabib from imposing his will so it was better not to stop the action. I think after the second fence grab he should have taken a point but I see the argument against that. Perhaps to really punish the fighters he should just call out "1 point McGregor, fence grab" without stopping the action to really mindfuck the cheater. I'd be all about that. He doesn't deserve a break for cheating. Or call our 1 point and also give credit for a takedown and reposition them on the mat. Either way I'm cool with it. But I've only ever seen a ref do that once or twice in the most egregious of cases and I don't recall ever seeing it in a championship fight. Can't put that on herb.
Wrong. Lawler vs Askren was handled correctly. Robbie's arm dropped like it went limp. You can't fault anyone for that stoppage regardless if we can't definitively say he did or did not go out. I disagree with the stoppage but in the moment I probably would have done the same thing as herb, as would any competent ref.

Truth, heart hands has never fucked up a fight.

I don’t understand how he can do the job as long as he has, yet somehow get continually worse. His concept of a stoppage seems to change from fight to fight.

This indicates one of two things - either he’s incompetent or corrupt.

He's been terrible for a long while. I'm not one to campaign for people being fired, but the dude's a much worse and inconsistent ref than Mario Yamasaki ever was, yet Mario gets canned while Herb is still getting booked to officiate PPV headliners...

he was never the "gold standard"

he is okay.. i used to say he was very bad, but he has upgraded to just not so good. hes super inconsistent, thats for sure.

herzog might be the best. i know yves gets a lot of crap sometimes, but he is very good too. ppl dont like that he steps in really close sometimes, but id rather that than a fight get called early. if he realizes he messed up, hes not afraid to change what he messed up.

He's been screwing up a lot more than just lately, there's many many more fights he screwed up, it's damn near comical. I have no Idea why the The Red Faced Goof never jumped all over Herb ass like he did all the other refs, and Herb is worse imo. It's like Dana has Herb in his pocket or something.
Herb's mistakes tend to be minimal. He usually prioritizes allowing the action to continue over breaks to enforce rules. He does the latter when he has to. He has let some fights go way too long in my opinion but I don't really think any of his stoppages were too early (even if the other fighter jumped up to protest).
I generally like Herb Dead as a ref even though I agree he could enforce the rules more at times.

The Khabib vs McGregor fight proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he's crooked as fuck.

I don’t know about Crooked but the UFC definitely leans on him to influence outcomes.

Herb Dean doesn’t like standing up fighters on the ground he likes to let them go.

In the Cro Cop Gonzaga fight Cro Cop was getting beat up on the ground and elbowed in the head and Herb stood it up.

That CB Dollaway late stoppage was awful, worse than the Mario Yamasaki one. For some reason Dana never gives him shit for his terrible calls.

He has let some fights go way too long in my opinion but I don't really think any of his stoppages were too early (even if the other fighter jumped up to protest).

Lawler?

That Khabib Conor fight will go down as the worst reffed fight I have ever watched.

Back